cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

ADSL Constantly Losing Sync and Dropping Connection (Possible DLM Fault?)

25 REPLIES
Highlighted
Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hello Community Team ,

It's been 10 days that my ADSL is intermittently losing sync and the connection drops. Even rebooting the router does not fix the issue.

I've done all tests and trials suggested by TalkTalk and Customer Services to no avail. When I check my ADSL parameters, here's what I can see:

media-20171001.jpg

You can see the router has been on for over 2 days, but the sync was only back 2 hours before. This happens several times a day.

One more thing I noticed is that my SN margin is now down to 2.1dB, from a standard of about 6dB. I can't think of anything but a bad DLM service (I am not even getting a faster speed as a result, I'm still hooked at 5.5Mbps at max...) so perhaps this is what is causing the disconnections.

Another difference I noticed is that the upload speed is now very low at 379 kbps, it's less than half what I usually get. Not sure if it depends on the DLM.

FYI, I used to be on a 6dB profile, now it's obviously not the csase anymore. Can someone investigate please? In some occasion, I also get loads of errors seconds (once I got over 9000 in a few minutes).

Oh yes, usual disclaimers:

- There are no crackling noises on my phone line that I can notice;

- Router is plugged to Master Socket, it has a test socket, I tried, same result as in the picture attached above;

- Every telephone socket in use has a filter and I am using the original cables provided with the modem;

I also have this picture, not sure if relevant but I noticed that the Primary and Secondary DNS have changed:

media-20171001_2.jpg 

The quality of the service has dropped in the last few months, my ping went from 30ms to 52ms, upload speed went from 0.8Mbps to 0.2Mbps and download speed went from 6.2Mbps to 5.5Mbps.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spartan_,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can you also confirm if you've tested with an alternative router, microfilter and adsl cable? Once we've confirmed this then we can raise the intermittent connection over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hello Michelle,

Unfortunately I do not have an alternative router, but different cable and filter did not improve the situation.

Thanks,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your assistance.

We could do that, but wouldn't be convenient to investigate the line / DLM in the meantime anyway? I can already see this could go back and forth for a while and I am trying to speed things up as it's been already almost 2 weeks now.

By all means feel free to send a spare one, but FYI it's going to be my 3rd replacement in the last 18 months (for other issues, and none were fixed by the router so I ended up returning the replacement routers back to you every time, as they were giving me a much slower performance in speed).

Thanks,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

If you have already tested with different routers then I can raise this straight over to our Network Team. Are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Yes please, I'd rather try them and see what they find/say.

Thanks,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

I've raised this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Please post back on this thread tomorrow and we can check for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hello Debbie,

Just bumping this to check if there's any news from the Network Team?

Thank you,

Spar

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Bumping this again, is there any update for me?

Thanks,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar,

Thanks for the bump.

There has been no update yet so I'm chasing this up for you. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Spar,

A colleague in our network tried to contact you a little earlier but unfortunately was unable to. They did say that your connection appears to have been stable over the last few days, have you seen an improvement in stability since your last post?

Chris

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the update, how did he try to contact me?

I just got disconnected yesterday, I am curious to see if the engineer can check any log and can confirm if the line was indeed disturbed/troubled.

I'll run some check and will keep an eye on the ADSL stats.

Thank you,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

They will have attempted to call you on your landline or mobile number.

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Landline is not advisable as I am never home during the day, I'd ask to be contacted via mobile number next time if possible please.

The connection seems more stable now for the last 5 days, but I noticed a drop in download speed and an even bigger drop in upload speed:

1.jpg

Upload speed is pretty much useless at 0.3Mbps (I used to get 3x more, exactly 0.9Mbps) and download speed I could reach over 5.5 Mbps, as mentioned in my previous message:

2.jpg

I know this is probably due to the profile been now 6.6dB instead of my usual 6dB, but I'm really curious as of why the speeds are affected this much for just a 0.6dB of difference.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the service?

Thank you,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

Your line is showing in sync for just over 6 days.

I've optimised your connection but the sync speed has remained at 6.1mb.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so I can try the line optimisation again?

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for checking the sync speed, is that the same as the download speed? Are you also able to check the upload speed?

OK, I will plug it to the test socket tonight and leave it there. For how long would you need me to leave it plugged in the test socket?

Thanks,

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spar

Yes this is the download speed. Your upload sync speed is 1019 kb/s.

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for 24-48hrs? Please can you post back on this thread to let us know once your router is connected at the test socket.

Thanks

Debbie

Spartan_
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Router is now connected to test socket. I'll leave it there for the next 2 days. 

Regards, 

Spar

Community Team

Hi Spartan_,

Thanks for confirming this. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that DLM has started to increase the sync speed. Could you let us know how the speeds compare over the next 24-48hrs as DLM should continue to increase the sync speed if the connection remains stable and the errored seconds are low.

Thanks