cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

ADSL sync speed dropped, telephone support going round in circles

Highlighted

Hi @OCE_Karl,
Thanks for sending router.  Interestingly old router improved to 13.x Mbps, however the new router has synced at 12Mbps, but suspect that was DLM when I swapped out router and cabling.

Still think there's an issue with the SNR Margin, as it's showing low (3.3dB), which would appear to indicate some sort of degradation or otherwise on the line, which started to manifest itself when I saw the problems early March.

So, what do we need to do to get my speed and stability back up to to 13.xMbps?

Kevin

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update. I've optimised the connection again now that the replacement router is connected. Are you also using the new cables and microfilter that came with the replacement router?

Please let us know how the speeds compare over the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi @OCE_Michelle,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you.  This seems to have done the trick this time, thank you.  The SNR Margin seems more balanced and the line has been stable at 13.xMbps for several days.
Thanks to you & your colleagues for your help with resolving this 😀

Kevin

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Kevin

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi @OCE_Debbie ,

Same thing again.  SYnc speed been stable since May, but over last month it has dropped again and over the last week, we've lost 1Mbps.  Please can you refresh line - Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Kevin

Apologies for the delay.

Is your router currently switched off?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi  @OCE_Debbie 

Yep powered down for a reboot, it should be back on now

Cheers

Kevin

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for confirming this. I've optimised the connection now. Please let us know how the speed compares over the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks

Highlighted

Urggh.   The initial sync speed dropped after you optimised by a further 3Mbps, although it has increased now by 1Mbps, but this is still 2Mbs below when I reported the problem and 3Mbps below my typical average over the last 3 years!

This happened last time and somebody else had to re-run the refresh.  Any ideas why this has happened?

Please can you investigate as I'm starting to get frustrated with TT.  For many years TT were reliable and just worked like turning on a tap for water, however over the last 12 months, this reliability has disappeared, which is disappointing.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

I've reset the data port and scheduled the line for overnight optimisation.

See if this improves over the weekend.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

So no improvement. 😞  The router sync speed is down 2Mbps from when we reported the problem a few days ago and 3Mbps down on our typical average.

I know last time we had issues it took several attempts to fix and you optimised the connection on 26/4/19 (earlier on this feed), which fixed the problem.  Are you able to look back at what you did and repeat that fix?

Please review and advise.

Thanks

Kevin

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

All we have access to do on your line is optimise the connection.  We cannot guarantee how the DLM system will optimise the line based on the line readings it takes.

Currently the line is showing in sync at 12mb.

Can you run a speed test via https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Run this test wired (not wireless) so we can see the actual thruput of the line.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted

Thanks Karl,

I don't particularly use the speedtest for reporting issues, because I recognise that the figure bb providers use is the sync speed, so it is this the sync speed that I have been reporting an issue with, not the speedtest, which of course is a little more subjective

Apologies, I went through all this in April when I reported the first time (so assumed it was on file).

And yes, whatever happened between last night and this morning has significantly improved the sync speed.  12Mbps is still over 1Mbps slower that I've had for the last 2 or 3 years, but looking at router stats and noise ration, I suspect DLM will improve this over the next 24 hours.

So whatever was done overnight/this morning, appears to have improved it.  I'll let you know how the sync speed "performs" over the next 24-48 hours.

Highlighted
Community Team

ok, no problem.

Keep monitoring and let me know.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted

Sorry @OCE_Karl, I was hoping to edit my last post before you picked it up!

I've just noticed that whatever happened to my line happened at 03.30 last night (taken from DSL uptime on router stats)

It may also be coincidence but over the last couple of days I've tried to dial out, had a ring tone, entered a number, but nothing happens, ie the line doesn't connect.  I wonder if there's an underlying issue on the line - I'm pretty certain nobody was working on it at 03.30 this morning !! lol.
No need to respond on this post, I just wanted to provide this additional info and I'll get back to you in 24-48 hours with sync speed update.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

No errors showing last night around that time.  There was a DLM change.  The profile settings remained the same but the interleaved depth on the downstream changed'

Karl.

Highlighted

Just picking this one up again.  I decided to give my sync speed some time and be patient ( ! ), however it's still sat 10% lower than it has been for a number of years.

Is this just congestion at the green box and the way it is?  I can't believe that the uptake of broadband has increased or even changes in my area over the last few months, so still at a loss as to why my sync speed has dropped and seems to have settled at a new level.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi email vanished again,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the sync speed looks consistent. Would you like me to try optimising the connection again now that the sync speed has remained stable for a period of time? What sync speed were you previously receiving before the speed drop? How have you found the overall performance of the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Yeah please, it's worth trying an optimisation.

As mentioned in long thread (sorry) above, my sync speed had been consistently stable at 13.4Mbps.  I know 12.2 is still better than many people get, however it's still a backwards step from where it's been reliably sat for a number of years.
The performance has been as it has always been, ie no drops, just slower.

Thanks again 🙂

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi email vanished again,

I've scheduled this for overnight optimisation. Your speed will probably fluctuate over the next few days 

Chris