Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AM I IN THE RIGHT COLUMN?? Low user, my contract expires end june.

laptopdunce
Problem Solver
Message 25 of 25

Hi, I have a standard TalkTalk broadband and landline phone contract, it is ending at end of June, I am currently paying about £21.95 a month I think, (Just gone up form £19.98 a month) My current package is called "fast broadband" (sees creenshot)  I have very little usage on internet, only call other talktalk subcribers and freephone numbers on the landline phone, I am an older person in a sheltered housing with our own TV package so dont need TV at all. My question is: What is the best bradband/phone package to request for when the current contract ends, I dont do alot of downloads, cant download films or music, (talktalk must be able to see my limited download usage) I am in a Sheltered Housing so only do emails, a bit of whatsapp via the broadband router, watch a bit of youtube and ebay hobby, run my utilities with emails and meter readings to utility providers and a bit of online banking. I dont want to go for the very High speed fibre connection, but on "my account" there comes up a banner advising me that my contract will soon come to an end and to avoid going onto standard broadband to look at the offers on offer, I notice that there is an offer saying "upgrade to fibre 35" on an 18 month contract BUT the offer to "Renew your FAST broadband current contract" for 18 months is still more at £24.95 a month, so it would seem to me to ask for the upgarde to the "upgrade to Fibre 35 for £22 a month (for 18 months) What do you think I should do? Should I call the Talktalk customer services and ask for the upgrade to the "upgrade to fibre 35?? 18 month contract?  as I said I live in a sheltered housing, a grade II listed victorian building with a very old wring loom for telephones and internet!! BT broadband are always here though the exchange is not far away really. (99% of faults have ALWAYS been on the BTopenworld controlled exchange and street cabinets!!!  Will the Fibre 35 be available to me (I wont put a postcode in here until you reply) howevber this banner of the two offers are showing on the "my account" page so I presume they are both suitable for my at my location?  It seems alot better to be paying £22 for 18 months for the fibre 35 that offers faster prices?? thanks for your help, I am very happy with talktalk really but the renewal of the contract always worries me!!

Thanks Laptopdunce I cant add screenshots because this CRAZY photo attachment box does not allow the standard Jpeg photos!!! how utterly insane!! this is what really p's people with these terrible forums!!! Why cant you fix it to accept the STANDARD JPEG PHOTO FORMAT!!! JESUS CHRIST!! YOU DO ALL THIS WORK AND THE GODDAMNED PHOTO UPLOADER WILL ONLY WORK ON UNHEARD OF TOTALLY OBSCURE PHOTO FORMATS!!! ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!! WHY DO YOU DO THIS!!! MAKE IT CLIENT FRIENDLY FOR CHRISTSSAKES!!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Right, but the point is that you should ONLY be approached with things that are RELEVANT to the package you are on, I know its all advertising and forever trying to get you to upgrade but its annoying to keep getting things that are "so pertinent" to an aspect of a package you are not using, this is exactly what Gliwmaeden2 referred to, thanks Laptopdunce

LAPTOPDUNCE

Message 2 of 25

Hi

All accounts usually have some aspect of TV and a pin is provided so you can purchase online content from the TalkTalk TV store online.

You do not have to use this of course, but a pin is usually provided should you ever want to.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi, I had a strange text today form TalkTalk, its about this TV package (which I dont need as we have our own TV service in this Sheltered Housing where I live) but the text says that they are giving me a PIN code to use with the box that plugs into the router to pay for TV content!! Of course I dont have a box for TV but this sort of thing worries me, I think it was  Gliwmaeden2 who said that these things should be kept COMPLETELY APART and not even referred to when a client doesnt take the TV option, I have on my postal letter that I am on the fibre35 ONLY and pay £21.95 a month for it, so I hope there are no c&ck ups when the first bill comes in!! Thanks Laptopdunce - I know one of these photos has my phone number on it, you can delete it if necessary, thanks

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Oh, yes, I meant today 25th may! thanks

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi

Glad fibre 35 is now live for you.  I'm assuming you mean May, not June, unless you have a Delorean of course 🙂

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Hi, just to let you know that as of today, 25th june, my fibre 35 has connected very well, I saw the router blinking and going off from 8 a.m. and had a text the day before to make sure I keep the router on (am using the same router) so now it is all running and am quite pleased with it, I can tell it is quite alot faster than my old connection. I have had emails off TalkTalk telling me that the Fibre35 is up and running (and another email about the TV package is up and running but of course I dont have this or the special box for connecting to the outer) So hope it all goes!! Will check the bill when it comes in and make sure there are no unexpected costs!! The £60 connection fee did say it was waived but may appear as a credit on my next bill, Thanks, Laptopdunce

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

laptopdunce
Problem Solver
Message 7 of 25

PS Gliwmaeden2 - I have just had a survey request to my email address from Talktalk, asking how I felt about my phone call to them regarding the renewal of my contract, I clicked all 10's for the service but on the last question "how did you find it contact TalkTalk"  I gave a ZERO and then made the comment that uitlity companies THAT HAVE A DELIBERATE STRATEGY TO HIDE ALL CONTACT PHONE NUMBERS FROM THEIR CLIENTS MAKES THEIR CLIENTS NOT TRUST THEM!!! I added that you, (not by name but as a contributor on the TalkTalk community forum) has also complained about this "subterfuge" and "obstruction" - I told them FIX IT!! DONT LET ANY OF YOUR CLIENTS DISTRUST YOU!!! GET IT FIXED !!!! thanks Laptopdunce (jsut got a text in saying new contract goes online on the 25th!!) 

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 8 of 25
I called up again after I got the email that said I was going to Fibre 35 with a TV package, but Diana on the loyalty phone number did say that that is really just a formality as this fibre 35 DOES have an "option" for a TV package but I am not being charrged for it at all as it only works with a PIN code that they send to your account if you add this TV package on, (it worried me as the title on the email said "Were getting your fibre 35 and TV package ready."......... so thats a relief, as we have a sort of SKy (its not sky) but a special TV package that everyone has to pay for in the rent as its instailled already in all thse flats, despite the fact all the tenants only pay £7.50 a years as its a "concessionary" TV license given the "Sheltered Housing" status of this place. Im supposed to go "live" on May 25th with fibre 25 and my current D link DSL router will not need to be changed according to Ziansa at the South africa call centre when she first set up this new contract, thanks Laptopdunce
LAPTOPDUNCE

Message 9 of 25

OK thnaks, I wondered if it was a bit "compromising" as it was a copy of an email, thanks

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Have removed the 2nd screenshot for you, @laptopdunce, as it showed a username. 

Sounds like it all went well.

Talktalk really does confuse people by adding TV to the title of every package......!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Update: just called the 0345 1720046 loyalty number and Diane confirms that there is ostensibly a TV package which could be used but I am not being charged for it and I could only use it if I paid the extra subscription and used the TV pin code (i dont even know what that would go into, a decoder box of some sort I imagine?) to activate the TV package, Well, thats a relief, thnaks

Laptopdunce

(was it safe to include that screenshot? or should I delete it after you have seen it? - I dont think it has any specific personal details of my account etc.,) 

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Hi, Oh, I see, I will have to call that loyalty team back, this is a bit confusing, they have sent an email cofirming my nme fibre 35 contract (with a credit of the £60 welcome fee credit, but in anohter email they say that "we are getting ready your fibre 35 AND TV PACKAGE ready, but I was ADMANANT that I dont want the TV package as we have a TV package in the rent in the sheltered housing where I live (I dont really watch TV anyway), I will let you know what happens

but this screenshot of their email looks worrying!! thanks LaptopdunceScreenshot (376).png

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi, I have just got through on the 0345 1720046 number and I got a Zianda in South Africa and it all went very well, wrote down Xianda, the operators name, she has renewed my contract to fibre 35, there is no need for a new router appartently, my current D link DSL3782 router will be fine, I am not having the antivirus thing for up to 10 appliances they recommend, nor the unlimited landline calls add on, it will all start on May 24th for 18 months at £21 a month!! Zianda said there is normally a £50 connection fee but to ignore this (even if it says so in the welcome pack) as this will be free as an exisiting clients contract renewal. Zianda has put me on the "vulnerable clients" list as I have minor sight and mobility problems, hence being in a sheltered housing, she tells me it is jsut a "flag" that will appear if I have to call them and they get into my account so it will show them that I am on their disabled register. so it al seemed to go very well, so thanks for giving me the correct number to get to the right people!! We had quite a chat in Dutch as Zianda is at the South Africa call centre and can she can speak a bit of Afrikaans! and I am a Dutch national also. Thanks Laptopdunce

LAPTOPDUNCE

Message 14 of 25

P.S. Good to see you managed the upload.

That row of icons was what I meant you to look at, but the last time I described it to somebody I was told that the layout was different, so it might have caused confusion. Anyway, you got there!

One challenge ticked off successfully. Good luck with all the rest! 😊

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25
Youre so right!! There SHOULD be a page with all the necessary phone numbers listed, I see this will ALL utilities and its damned annoying not to be able to access a phone contact on the website of any utility. thanks
LAPTOPDUNCE

Message 16 of 25

Follow instructions for registering as vulnerable here, @laptopdunce:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Registering-your-accessibility-requirements/ta-p/258302...

I have to go now! Hope you have managed to catch up with my several replies above! Good luck with it all!

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

OK I will try the 03451720046 number after 9am, I have just notice that there is a row of icons on top of this message (i have screenshotted it to see if I can get it to attach with the camera icon on the row at the top) Ah yes, it has attached the file but keeps doppoint to the photo and I ccant see the message I am typing,  As I hardly every use the landlinge (apart for other talktalk subs crribers I odnt really jneeed the phone bootst  thanks, wht do you think about the "vulnerable customers" register? Thre isnt a number to call for this but I am classed as registered disabvled and living in a sheltered housing with wardens, though I an quite independent, thanksScreenshot (373).png

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

@laptopdunce, they open at 9am.

Same with Chat. It shows here, with a blue background banner when available. Good for following up issues if you can't wait for help on the forum.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

The phone numbers are not listed in one useful place on here, despite my kicking and screaming to have a proper one-stop contact page.

You can however find details of opening hours fully listed for both phone and Chat on the link I just gave you here.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Just another thing, I have noticed that TalkTalk has a "vulnerable customers" site, as I am in a sheltered housing and classed as disabled, would you advise me to register with this option? Again, I cant enclose the screenshot of this as there is NO CAMERA ICON on this page, only the "cloud" icon and if I click "browse" it wont accept the standard jpeg images!! This is getting more and more Kafka-esque!!! But wondered if it would have any benefit for me to register as a "vulnerable client" - or would I be subjected to more and more and more of this Kafka-esque maze like debacle to find a phone number to call?? thanks Laptopdunce

LAPTOPDUNCE
0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

You'd need to discuss the router when negotiating your package, @laptopdunce. Worth also checking whether they charge to deliver it, if you do need to upgrade.

In fact it is worth checking the list of "one-off charges" here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-pricing/ta-p/2212258

When you are renewing, lots of the listed charges are waived, but make sure that you get them to actually say so as the telephone conversation is supposed to be recorded. 

Take a note of the agent's name, and the date and time of your call, and ask them to send email confirmation of your new deal. They can usually send it through while still on the phone.

Calls to Talktalk landline numbers are free for up to 3 hours anyway. 

The Anytime calls boost would only be needed if you are calling any other landline numbers as well as Talktalk ones, so beginning 01, 02, 03 and ordinary smartphones etc.

It's official name is Unlimited UK calls boost.

You'll find it mentioned here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-our-Boosts/ta-p/2204813

It is sometimes on offer at half price, or thrown in free. It must be kept for a minimum of one month, or there's a breakage fee. After that, you can remove it anytime. Worth considering.

That camera icon only shows for me if I log out of here while typing! It shows as the other symbol when I am signed in, so that's what I click on to select anything in Gallery.

0 Likes