Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are TalkTalk blocking the TOR browser?

Swanee
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

I use the Brave browser (way faster than Chrome or Firefox), which includes the option of a TOR browser. This has always worked fine, but when I tried using the TOR browser today I continually get the error message: ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED

What this means, as far as I can tell, is that TalkTalk is blocking the use of this browser. Does anyone know if this is the case, or if it's a new policy from TalkTalk? I've seen a post on here about TalkTalk blocking VPNs, so this kind of falls into that category, since the TOR browser provides an inbuilt VPN.

The standard Brave browser is working fine, hence me being able to write this message. 

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

@Swanee"But value judgements are not" ... Tor is controversial on whatever side of the freedom fence you sit.
Asking strangers about your encrypted hidden traffic problems seems a little paradoxical. Like your attitude towards a stranger being overly helpful.

If you do know Tor, you should know that you can change identity and/or Tor route whenever you like, which should be the first test.

Every time you reset the connection it will again use a different route and Exit node too.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Yep, that's definitely worth a try. Was about to do that on my PC until I saw it was working again. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Another thought has come to mind: remove Brave and try a clean download and install. If you haven't come across this already I would highly recommend AppCleaner, it removes all the background stuff associated with an application when deleting, just drag and drop.

Message 4 of 15

For what it's worth I'm using a MacBook Pro, Catalina 10.15 3.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

@mysophobe Technical answers/suggestions are appreciated, but value judgements are not. I am well aware that TOR slows things down, but it's negligible in the scheme of things. 

0 Likes

mysophobe
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 15

The ISP can only see where your traffic is going, so they'd have to physically block all known exit nodes to block Tor. Reading everyones packets is 1: very intrusive and 2: extremely costly

It's only usually good to get around blocks from some overly paranoid business Wifi.

A free VPN will do the same.

Get the official Tor browser to check.

If it's a mobile device, get Orbot which will send ALL traffic through Tor.

Tor connections will slow you down.

Do you need to be that paranoid?

Brave uses https everywhere settings so you're still encrypted.

NEVER visit your usual websites on Tor.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've just tried again, and it's still not working on my Mac laptop, but it IS now working on my PC. Bizarre. Identical versions of Brave, just different OSs. But it can't be a Mac OS issue, that doesn't make sense. I checked it on both devices after I restarted the router again, and I checked again about an hour ago, and neither worked then, so I don't know what's changed in the last hour, and I haven't made any changes to either device/browser. So I'm scratching my head, but pleased it's now working on one device at least!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

OK. In the meantime I have downloaded Brave to test for myself and the Private Window with TOR feature is working just fine for me.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Thanks for this suggestion. No, I haven't tried that. I will have a go when I get a chance. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Have you tried downloading TOR directly and using it separately, rather than within Brave?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Chris,

Just to make sure, I switched my router off for over 30 minutes yesterday. The result is still the exactly same when I try to connect using the TOR window in Brave:

No Internet

There is something wrong with the proxy server or the address is incorrect.

Try:

• Contacting the system admin
  • Checking the proxy address
ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED

So what this implies is that there's either some sort of blocking happening from TalkTalk, or it's something to do with how TOR accesses the internet - but since nothing changed from this end at all (browser not updated between session when it worked and when it stopped working, no other changes made, no settings changed, etc.), then I can't think what this can be. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi Swanee,

Thanks for the information. Sorry but could you just confirm that you switched the router off for a full 30 minutes, it's important that it's at least 30 minutes or it wont start a new session it will just continue the old session which isn't what we want 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. It was working fine yesterday. I have a fibre connection and I reset my router earlier today. I connect via wifi on my laptop and ADSL on my desktop (I use the Brave browser on both).

The full error message reads:  

No Internet

There is something wrong with the proxy server or the address is incorrect.

Try:

• Contacting the system admin
  • Checking the proxy address
ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED

Obviously I do have internet access. I have checked with Brave and on their forums and there seems to be no reason why it shouldn't be working. As I said, it was fine yesterday (and has been fine without any issues for months - since I first started using Brave). 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 15

Hi Swanee,

When was the last time that you know that it was working?

If you have a fibre connection can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest? If you have a ADSL connection can you just reboot your router and retest 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes