Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At My Wits End - Constant Disconnection on Work VPN

onthewritelines
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am at my wit's end trying to resolve this problem. I recently moved to a new flat a few days ago and the past 2 days, I cannot for the life of me get the VPN on my work laptop to play nice with the Net at my new place. I have never had this issue prior to now with my previous ISP, which was BT. I'm trying to work with my new landlord on getting this fixed but I feel like I need to take charge of this problem because otherwise, I'm not getting a paycheck this month.

So, some background factors: my flat is one half of whole house which has been renovated into two flats. We share a router which is located in the upstairs flat. I got my keys to the place 6 days ago and was just checking how the Net was on my phone. A bit spotty with some intermittent disconnection every few minutes, but I thought it could have been that day. Came back over the weekend to fully move in, and the issues were still the same.

Spoke to the guy living upstairs, and he reset the router for me. Problem still persisted, but I think he did it again overnight because (fingers crossed) it's been okay-ish since then during the daytime on my phone, personal laptop, and PS4. I thought it could have been too many devices, but my new neighbour upstairs says that it's only him there right now as his two housemates are currently away, and he mostly stays over with a friend so there's hardly anybody upstairs, meaning so far I'm the only one using the wifi.

However, when I boot up my work VPN on my work laptop (VPN is OpenConnect, laptop is a Chromebook fully up to date), it seems like the VPN is choking the absolute life out of whatever's going on, causing constant disconnections, failed connections, and terrible speeds. I consulted with my work's IT team, and they did checks on their side and said I'm the only one reporting this issue, nothing's changed, and the one common denominator is that I've moved recently and gotten a new ISP with that. I agree with them on this one.

On my OpenConnect VPN log, every few minute it's recording the following statuses:

> Attempt new DTLS connection

> DTLS handshake timed out

> DTLS handshake failed. Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.

Rinse and repeat, and so on and so forth. When not connected to the VPN, I'm getting download speeds of over 30mbps which is great. When on the VPN, it might give me a brief burst of 8mbps download for two minutes before completely collapsing again and not even connecting to any server. Sometimes it manages to connect to the server, but gives me download speeds of 0.00mbps which is essentially nothing at all, and it might show a few blips of anywhere between 0 - 8mbps before dying again.

For reference, the router is a Huawei HG633. I am inclined to think it might be an issue with the router itself that could use replacing since I have read a few threads on here where others have also had work VPN issues and a new router was sent to them. Others have simply had to change some settings but I would want to consult you guys as to what those settings might be.

Please help, I am really desperate at this point and incredibly anxious about my job.

Thank you.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi onthewritelines

Yes I can send a new Huawei WIFI hub for testing and there will be no charge for this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Hi Debbie,

Just to clarify, would this be a brand new router sent to the address, and if so, is it free of charge?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi onthewritelines

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version. Would you like me to send a different router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi, @Michelle-TalkTalk and @Skynet_TX ,

Thank you for the response. I've updated the personal details. Can you please let me know if there should be any particular settings in the HG633 router that might be choking the OpenConnect VPN, and which settings I would need to change? Or if possible, tag someone who would know? I took a look at the VPN page you linked but did not provide much in the way of settings.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @onthewritelines,

There is some advice here about things you can try to resolve VPN issues, however you will need access to log into the account for your TalkTalk service to check some of these things.

The staff here will also be able to confirm if there are any known issues with using OpenConnect on the HG633.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help. If you can also add the name of the account holder into the 'Private Notes' section in the community profile then that may help the staff here verify the details.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.