Did you mean: 
Need help?

Best alt ISP to talktalk?

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

Im done with talktalk.

2 months ago i went to pay my monthly bill online like i always do and the site was not working right.

I used online chat and chatted to a talktalk Op who told me to make a bank transfer using the details he give me.  He told me i wont be charged a late fee as i was trying to pay on time and the site was down.

I paid more then what the bill was.

Since then i have had my line disconnected and been harassed by talktalk staff saying i did not pay them and i owe them £80 when in fact i was in credit with talktalk.

I contacted my bank who confirmed they received payment and they give me a reference number for it. 

Talktalk still harassed me telling me i owed them cash and threatened me with disconnections and legal action and costs against me.

I was told last week by a manger that they can see the payment was made but its been lost in there system and she will contact me on the 2nd of the new year.

Today i was phoned to be told they have found the payment but i still owe a late payment fee!

I have spent over 10 hours of my time dealing with this and im not doing it no more.

I was chatting to a online talktalk op earlier who just started ignoring me in the chat window! ( i have proof)

I want to leave talktalk asap as i really can not handle the stress of all this. Its been going on for 2 months now and its making me sick.

I want to know whats the quickest way i can leave talktalkso you can not strees me out anymore.

I have never agreed to a new contract all the time i have been with talktalk (over 7 years) but was told today that cos i clicked on a email from talktlak that was me agreeing to the contract? 

I will be putting in complaints at every level i can.

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

You can find full details of the cancellation process here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

The quickest way without an interruption in service is to contact your new ISP of choice and tell them you want to switch from TalkTalk and keep your existing phone number. 

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

I used that link Ferguson and spent hours on the online chat speaking with different operators who say they was mangers but acted like they did not know what they are doing.

I have copys of the chats to prove it.

As from now im told i will be disconnected by the 9th of Jan but fear i will still be harassed by talktalk for a late fee when i was not late paying.

The Op did say they would credit me 12.50 to cover the cost of my late payment but i refused as i did not make a late payment and followed talktalks instructions.

Talktalk is still acting like i done something wrong when i done what i was told to do by talktalk.

I have the chat copys to prove how bad the customer care is.

Now i have a question.

What is the best way to contact the owners and shareholders of talktalk so i can show them how their company works and treats their customers?

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

I can't answer that question, you could try spraying social media with the kind of stuff which many others do? It doesn't change anything, obviously.

You originally posted asking the best way to leave and I told you that was to ask your new ISP to take things over. Do you actually want TalkTalk to look into this further for you? If so the support team here will gladly do so. Make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

Yea I will be making posts on reddit and all social media that i can about this even tho i know it wont change anything.

I dont want talktalk to make a profit from me no more and i dont want the stress of dealing with them so i will be finding a new ISP.

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

What a lovely end of year rant !

Goodbye, Happy New Year and good luck finding an ISP that NEVER gets anything wrong.

Dream on......

Martin
Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

Martswain i just want to let you know your post was as useful and helpful as the talktalk staff have been.  I hope you feel happy with your self 😕

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

@MrBloff  just as useful as your threat to "expose" TT for a minor c**k-up ?

Mistakes happens.

Live with it.

Move on.

Martin
Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

You wont get anymore of the attention your are craving from me martswain. 

For anyone else who is interested this was not a minor c**k-up as matswain is trying to make out or a simple mistake.

Talktalk have made a huge mistake and are acting like this is normal for a customer to go through.

I am living with it and i am now going to change ISP and hopefully never get as stressed with a company that makes a profit from me like have i done with talktalk.

Highlighted
AllyM
Problem Solver

@MrBloff wrote:

As from now im told i will be disconnected by the 9th of Jan but fear i will still be harassed by talktalk for a late fee when i was not late paying.

The Op did say they would credit me 12.50 to cover the cost of my late payment but i refused as i did not make a late payment and followed talktalks instructions.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, the situation is something like the following:

It would appear that since you had to make your monthly payment in a non-standard way (directly to TalkTalk's bank account), the billing system has not picked it up and associated it with your account. As the payment wasn't detected, a late fee was also automatically applied to your account. You complained and the payment has then been traced manually and applied to your account, the only outstanding issue then beiing the late fee.

Now, here's the bit I really can't get my head around:

From your statement I have quoted above, you say you are afraid you will still be chased for the late fee, but in the next sentence you say that TalkTalk have offered to apply a credit to your account in order to refund the fee, and you have refused this, so what is it you actually want?

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

Hi AllyM,

Yes i am afraid i will still be chased for a fee what i should not have got in the first place as i followed talktalks instructions when they had a error on their site. I did not make a late payment.

They offed to credit me 12.50 as a curtsy (how is removing a fee what i do not owe a curtsy?)

They did not remove the late fee charge i should not have got as i did not make a late payment

I can not stress enough that i followed all of talktalks instructions when they had a problem on their site and i can prove in a court of law i did not make a late payment.

Any error with where the payment went was talktalks fault as i followed the instructions given and was told at the time i would not get a late fee charge even tho it takes longer for a bank transfer to through.

I since then had my line disconnected what caused me real life problems.
I spent many hours (aprox 20 or more) sorting out talktalks problems. I really feel that trying to communicative with the talktalk staff i have is close to some kinda of mental torture.

Yesterday i spent over 2 hours in online chat and all the 2 diff OPs i chatted to was keep asking me for details to prove who i am even tho i had done this at the start of the conversation and again in the conversation.

I contacted my bank who give me the ref: No to prove the transaction went out (on time) and when i give this to talktalk twice i was told it was the wrong reference?1?!?!?  How can the bank give me the wrong reference number?

One of the reasons i feel i will still be harassed by talktalk for a late fee is due to the fact i was told i would not be charged a late fee but then spent 2 months being harassed by talktalk for payment.

I was also told by a manger that they could now see i had made the payment but they dont know where it went and she would contact me on the 2nd of Jan about it all.

I was called at 9am on the 31st Dec by talktalk to be told the payment went through but i still owe the fee.

I really cant take no more of the BS its as simple as that.

I would rather pay more to another ISP for a slower connection then to ever have to deal with the stuff i have had to deal with talktalk.

Its not just this case with a payment what went missing in their system. Its the whole thing of having the phone calls what take hours of my life away and all they do is make me jump through security hoops and never really listen or understand or sort out the problem. (the name talktalk makes sense)

When it happens to you i guess you will then be able to get your head around it.

Why should i let a company make a profit from me when they treat me (and many many MANY others) the way they do?

I have asked them for my deadlock letter and i will be happy to only have to deal with talktalk through my solicitor or the places i will be putting in my complaints.

Highlighted
AllyM
Problem Solver

@MrBloff wrote:

Hi AllyM,

Yes i am afraid i will still be chased for a fee what i should not have got in the first place as i followed talktalks instructions when they had a error on their site. I did not make a late payment.

They offed to credit me 12.50 as a curtsy (how is removing a fee what i do not owe a curtsy?)

They did not remove the late fee charge i should not have got as i did not make a late payment

I can not stress enough that i followed all of talktalks instructions when they had a problem on their site and i can prove in a court of law i did not make a late payment.

I have asked them for my deadlock letter and i will be happy to only have to deal with talktalk through my solicitor or the places i will be putting in my complaints.

There's no need to keep stressing that you were not late paying or that a late fee was added to your bill despite being informed it would not be. I completely understand that. The fact is that a late fee was added to your bill so the issue is how to deal with it.

Once a bill has been produced, items on it cannot just be "removed".

A £12.50 late payment admin fee has been incorrectly added to your bill.

They have offered to raise a £12.50 credit to cancel it out, problem solved.

I don't think there's really any other way to do it.

I have had to deal with the customer service people a few times so I do understand how frustrating it is dealing with them, particularly on the phone. It often feels like they are unable or not allowed to use any common sense or initiative to solve problems. Instead, sticking to standard scripts which drive you round and round in circles. As difficult as it may seem, I think you just have to try not to let them wind you up too much.

I think you are taking it a bit too personally refusing the refund because they use the terminology "courtesy" (I'm guessing that's the word you mean). You got to a stage where they offered to refund the charge so I think it would have been better to just accept it without getting hung up on the terminology, and get on with your life without having to worry about them chasing you for the fee.

I can't help but think that any sort of legal action you follow is likely to result in TalkTalk being ordered to refund you the incorrect charge which they have offered to refund anyway, so why not just accept it?

Unless you are trying to claim some extra financial compensation for the added stress and time spent dealing with customer services, I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

I've stayed with TalkTalk for many years as the broadband is normally reliable and with the opinion of "better the devil you know". I could go through the hassle of moving to another ISP and possibly suffer unreliable broadband and/or customers service just as bad as TalkTalk, so why bother. I've previously looked at customer forums for other ISP's and found them to full of complaints about the service, billing, customer support etc. just the same as with TalkTalk.

The only other observation I have is that it seems unusual that you make a manual payment every month. you might consider setting up a Direct Debit, your payment will be taken automatically each month and should reduce the chance of any issues such as the one you have faced on this occasion.

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

I do have to keep stressing that i was not late paying a fee as this is the root of the problem what has not gone away for over 2months.

The fact is the late fee was wrongfully added by talktalk and then i have been harassed and stressed out to the point i have had enough and wont use the "better the devil you know" way of thinking as all thats doing is letting talktalk think its ok to treat people the way they do all in the name of a profit.

You are right a fee was added wrongfully. Any other company would have sorted it out with in a week and i would have got a apology (talktalk have said sorry to me so many times it dont mean anything.... sorry should me you know you made a mistake and it wont happen again). Talkttalk spent 2 months harassing me and threatening me with loss of service and also having legal action taken out on me.

Im not going to pay money to someone who makes my life worse.

I am not after anything other then to leave talktalk and never have anything to do with them again.

I came here to ask about any suggestions for the other ISPs knowing full well they all have there problems.

I also wanted to vent and let others see what i have been through with talktalk when i have done nothing wrong.

Also this is the 2nd time this has happend.  Talktalk also done the same thing to me years ago and i let it pass cos of "better the devil you know"

Its not a personal thing. I will let any company try to make things right but after what i have been through they can not do anything to make it right. And yes the word was courtesy (I have spelling problems due to a health reason sorry)

I think everyone trys to not get wound up but when you get wound up you get wound up and you can not do anything about it other then make sure it wont happen again and thats why im leaving talktalk.

If i accept the 12:50 courtesy cash thats me saying its ok for talktalk to treat me the way they have done and im refusing to show its not ok to treat customers like that.

I bet any talktalk staff at the bottom right up to the CEOs would feel the same if another company was doing it to them.

I am not trying to claim anything extra lol I want nothing to do with talktalk and i for ever will take to time to explain to others why they should not use talktalk.

Also the reason why i stopped paying by monthly direct debit was down to the fact talktalk would take out the cash on dates they was not supposed to what would at times incur me bank charges. I would have to spend many hours in online chat trying to get that sorted and in the end i thought it would be best i paid it manually so i dont have to go through all the hassle i was going through cos talktalk would take out the direct debit before the date what was agreed.

Maybe the company's get as bad as they do due to them knowing there is people who have your attitude to there lack of professionalism and if more people done what im doing they would change and train their staff more so their customers dont have to go through unnecessary stress.

Highlighted
AllyM
Problem Solver

@MrBloff wrote:

If i accept the 12:50 courtesy cash thats me saying its ok for talktalk to treat me the way they have done and im refusing to show its not ok to treat customers like that.

Ok, clearly, you and I are very different.

I just think personally that you are making your life more stressful in prusuit of making your point when it would be easier just take the money and go off to another ISP safe in the knowledge that TalkTalk are not going to pursue you for any arrears they think you are due.

I can't really advise on other ISPs.

I am happy to stay with TalkTalk as things stand and put up with the level of customer support when things go wrong as the other 99.9% of the time the service is reliable and a good price.

I guess you just have to find one that suits you, so I wish you good luck with whoever you choose.

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

Direct Debit dates are as regular as clockwork, so your assertion that they took them on the wrong dates is rubbish, most likely you didn't have the funds in place in time.

Don't TT charge you more for not paying by DD as well ?

As for the threat of legal action over a late payment fee, I call bull**** on that too as they have already offered to reimburse you.

As @AllyM says, this kind of issue can and does happen with all utilities so if you move ISP there is no guarantee you will not find yourself in a better place.

Martin
Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

AllyM i guess we must be very different or i have just took more crap from talktalk then i can take and you have not got to that point yet. Maybe its a age thing?  I turned 50 last year and the older i get the less stress i want in my life.

Thanks for the conversations Ally as you have helped me vent and i wish you all the best.

Im not cutting of my nose to spite my face. Im cutting of a boil on my *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* what wont let me sit down when i need to.

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter
oh dear ! I used a slang word for bottom and it turned it into *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* and the *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* makes it look a lot worse then the word i used lol
Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

Just a update:

I sent 2 emails to the email address what was dealing with my complaint asking or my deadlock letter what was ignored.

Today i sent a new email not tagged onto the other ones and was given a link to chat to someone to request it.

I spent over a hour on the phone jumpen through security hoops with different talktalk OPs only to be told they cant give me the deadlock letter and i have to wait 3-5 days for the right dept to get in touch?

Highlighted
MrBloff
Conversation Starter

I used google to quickly search "talktalk direct debit taken early" and found lots of links to people who have had talktalk take out the direct debit not on the date promised.

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

@MrBloff sorry, but I just tried exactly the same phrase myself and what you have said is complete nonsense.