Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Brand new WiFi extender not making any difference

9 REPLIES 9
mariaalicebird
Chatterbox

Hi there, I paid £85 for a WiFi extender to improve the internet upstairs in my flat now I am working from home. It hasn't made any difference despite three green lights which is frustrating. I suspect a fault with the phone line -which is old- because the lack of internet to upstairs rooms only started after some works in the house and an electrician moved the openreach socket. Can I book an engineer?

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Please add your Talktalk landline phone number to your community forum profile details, @mariaalicebird, for staff to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; Profile Wizard. 

It could be a couple of days before you hear back, as staff don't work weekends. Look out for their reply. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
martswain
Philosopher

Is the actual phone line working normally without any noise ?

Do you have normal connection speeds at your router ?

What does SERVICE CENTER report ?

You will not get an engineer visit for slow speed faults at the moment.

Martin
mariaalicebird
Chatterbox
Yes normal internet downstairs near the router no issue. It just doesn't reach upstairs and new extender completely useless
martswain
Philosopher

If you have "normal" service near the router, it's not a phone line issue.

Did you buy the extender from TalkTalk and does it work over the power lines ?

Does the extender work when set up in sockets in the same room ?

Is the room where you want to use the extender on the same main electrical circuit ?

Martin
mariaalicebird
Chatterbox

Thanks Martin,

I bought the extender from talk talk.

The WiFi extender shows three green lights when plugged in near the router in the same room. When I first took it upstairs the extender appeared in my available networks and I inputted the password. That only happened once and it hasn't appeared since, even if I log out of all networks.

It shows three green lights upstairs in the socket but the internet is not extended.

I don't know if the electrical circuit is different, its a small flat though so I would be surprised if it was different. 

All help or advice hugely appreciated thank you

mariaalicebird
Chatterbox

It has been 6 days please may the talk talk team get in touch? 

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mariaalicebird 

Your connection looks fine from here, line tests are clear and router is in sync at 40mb.

Can you try resetting the router and adapter and then re-pair them and retest.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

mariaalicebird
Chatterbox

Yeah I had done that several times before reaching out. I wouldn't have come to you if it worked. It makes no difference. The WiFi is not extended in any way and I feel a bit annoyed it took you so long to send such a lazy and obvious suggestion. My contract is up for renewal and think I'll switch providers and hope the new install fixes the issue. Unless you have any helpful suggestions? 

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mariaalicebird,

As Karl said, your Internet connection looks fine, router is in sync at 40Mbps. The issue seems to be wifi congestion, both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands appear to be very congested. 

We could try disabling wifi optimisation on your router, this will allow you to set your own channel and may allow you to find a channel that provides a better connection. If you'd like this please let us know

Does your work device have an Ethernet port?

Thanks

Chris