would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband Speed Dropping

33 REPLIES 33
jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi

I moved to Fibre broadband back in April. This increased my download speed (Router sync speed) from 3 - 3.5Mb to 16-18Mb which was great. In early June it dropped back to 15Mb and then 13Mb which was disappointing but the connection seemed pretty stable with long periods between re-syncs. Today it is down to 11.3Mb which is getting rather low. Could you please take a look and see if you can get me back up to 15Mb+. Nothing has been changed in the house since the new Fast 5364 router was installed in April.

Community Team

Hi jaddi

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see some re connections on the line, this can affect the sync speed.

How often do you reboot the router? Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Thanks for doing a test. I have just tried restarting the router from the web page and the speed has not improved.

I do not restart the router very often. Last time was on 9th of July as I had the power off for an hour for electrical work.

The router is not connected to the test socket. It is connected to the master socket via a Cat 5 cable. This has an ADSL Nation faceplate to split off the house wiring to telephones as soon as possible. On the (sadly) numerous occasions I have had issues with my long line I have found no speed improvement when connecting to the test socket.

Any chance of adjusting things to give me a bit more speed? I get the feeling that occasional transitory events slow things down and the speed never recovers. I ran at 15Mb + from the 10 April to 6 June so the line can’t be that bad most of the time.

Community Team

Hi jaddi

If the connection is dropping then this will affect the speed. DLM will reduce the speed to try and stabilise the connection.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

Certainly, if you think that is the way forward please go ahead.

Community Team

Hi jaddi

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

The new router is now running. No change to speed at all.

Before disconnecting old router sync details were:  

11398Mb

30.7dB

11.8dB

1130Mb

0dB

6.8dB

and had been in sync for 3d 22h, that's since I restarted following your line tests last week.

New router is:

11398Mb

30.8dB

0dB

1141Mb

0dB

6.0dB

What do you suggest now?

Thanks

Jaddi

Community Team

Hi jaddi

Thanks for your reply.

Has the new router been connected to the test socket for at least 48hrs? We advise to allow DLM time to monitor the connection and adjust the speed with the new router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

No, it only arrived yesterday and I connected it this morning at 9:40 to my usual connection place.

As previously reported: The router is not connected to the test socket. It is connected to the master socket via a Cat 5 cable. This has an ADSL Nation faceplate to split off the house wiring to telephones as soon as possible. On the (sadly) numerous occasions I have had issues with my long line I have found no speed improvement when connecting to the test socket.

If nothing improves I can move it to the test socket, but this takes a little time as involves a ladder, as I guess we will need to prove for certain that it is not my internal wiring. 

Community Team

Hi jaddi

Thanks for your reply.

If you leave the router in your current set up and post back on this thread on Thursday then I can check the connection stats again to see if the speed has increased. If the speed doesn't increase then it would be worth connecting the router at the test socket again for 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

OK, will do

Presume I should hang on to the old router for now?

Community Team
jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Well its Thursday and the speed hasn't increased

11398Mb

30.80dB

11.9dB

1141Mb

0dB

6.7dB

BUT- yesterday the power tripped in the house (builders round doing work) just before 11am so router restarted. It had also rebooted it's self at 2:25 that morning for a software update.

So I guess that won't have helped the DLM? Should we just leave it another few days?

I will await your advice.

Community Team

Hi jaddi

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

If the connection remains stable over the next 48hrs but the speed doesn't increase then I will raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

OK, suggest we look again on Monday as I will be busy over the weekend. If no better, can then try in test socket for a few days if you think best before we get other's involved. 

Community Team

Hi jaddi

Thanks for your reply.

It may be worth connecting at the test socket as soon as possible as this will rule out any possible internal wiring/face plate issues.

I can then escalate this on Monday if the speed is still the same.

Thanks

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

That's the router in the test socket from about 14:00. It was disconnected for about a hour during the process.

Sync speed the same

11399Mb

33.5dB

13.0dB

1141Mb

0dB

6.9dB

Will monitor and liaise again on Monday at some point

Community Team

Hi jaddi

Thank you. I will check the connection stats on Monday morning and post back on this thread.

Debbie

jaddi
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

So since Thursday's move to test socket I can see two events:

19/7

11399Mb

33.4dB

12.9dB

1209Mb

0dB

6.3dB

Resync @ 00:15 – single event – Usual “The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36 “

@ 9:09 in sync 9h

and 

22/7

Resync @ 00:30 (As per 19/7)

@ 10:32 in sync 10h   

So the resync early this morning has increased the router sync speed a bit.

My actual working download speed is only about 8Mb, probably  as I am now connected via WiFi rather than LAN?

Guess you will be able to see more about what'd happened at your end. 

Where now?

Thanks

Jaddi

Community Team

Hi jaddi

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that DLM has started to change the line profile and the speed has increased from 10.9mb to 14.3mb.

Please can you leave the router in your current set up whilst DLM is monitoring the connection, we can check to see if the speed increases any further.

Thanks

Debbie