cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband Usage.......struggling orange triangles.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

When I look at my usage under the service status section I eventually see a bar graph of daily usage for the last week. Some days have orange triangles above them. The text says this shows where my "broadband is struggling".

There are other days with higher total usage.

So what do these orange triangles mean?

Could it be a prolonged period of max. data rate?

Could it be some indication of contention?

Any ideas please?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi alrope,

I'm sorry for the delay. Is this affecting the performance of the connection? Are you experiencing slow speeds or any instability?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Michelle,

but I just want to know what the orange triangles mean please?

The term "...broadband is struggling" is vague.

I now have every day with an orange triangle, regardless of daily usage.

I don't think I have an unstable connection.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It's simply an alert that your usage is high, this doesn't mean that this would be affecting your service, however if you were experiencing performance issues then this would indicate that this may be related to this. Do you have many devices connected? Is everything ok with your performance and is this why you ran the service centre test?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

As I have said before, it is not as simple as just high usage.

I have days with only 25GB usage that still have orange triangles. That is less than 2 hours at the 30Mb/s my connection supports or less than 10% of a daily maximum usage.

Usage in the service centre is not a test.  It's just a record of usage.

Please try to get a proper answer to my question?

Kind regards

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi I am experiencing same issues but I'm in Bingley. Please can someone help as i work from home and need it sorting asap please. Thank you 

Highlighted

Hi alrope,

Can I just confirm, when it says that the broadband is struggling do you experience slow web pages, any issues streaming, etc? I'm just trying to see if this is also reflecting what you see in terms of the performance of the connection. Have the orange triangles only just appeared or has it always been like this?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Jnrmo,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have asked a simple question 3 times now, this its the fourth time.

I would please like to know exactly what the orange triangles mean?

I have attached todays weekly usage graph to show that the lowest day for the week has a triangle and a higher day does not.

So the triangles do NOT represent high daily usage.

Please answer the question I asked.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

The triangles indicate that the speed of your line may not be adequate for the amount of usage of your connection and you may want to consider looking to see if their are options available to you.

Such as a Speed boost to allow your line to achieve more than 40mb.  G.fast if this is available in your area to give speeds up to 150mb or 300mb depending on availability etc.

The Triangle is there only as an advisory and does not indicate anything is wrong.

Your usage is high, but as the connection is unlimited, nothing wrong with this at all.  With all the HD streaming services these days, many will have a high usage and the system is just trying to advise that faster speeds may help if these options are available.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl,

Your answer does go a bit further than the service centre text.

However, it is still a bit vague.

I'm hesitant to say what I think the triangles mean because I want an exact answer.

I believe they indicate a sustained period of high speed use, but I would like this confirmed.

So even though I might only use 25GB, if this happened in just 2 hours that would max out my connection (30Mb/s) and maybe give rise to a triangle. On the other hand, 50GB over the whole day would not.

I think I am on the edge of needing faster broadband that only FTTP can deliver in my area. That should arrive soon. What will I need:- 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s or more?

I do understand that the triangles are just advisory.

Depending on exactly how they are triggered can make them very useful.

Determining how close you are to the limit of your broadband can be quite difficult.

If you are getting dropped frames etc. on streaming video you are clearly over the edge.

What you need to do is found out how much margin you typically have.

I don't seem to have much left, but I am managing at the moment.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

There is nothing sinister behind this, it simply means that based on your current speed, and average daily usage we would recommend more speed may benefit your usage.  Our systems will take into account the number of devices connected, overall usage and current speeds.

As mentioned, the usage is unlimited, there is no problem whatsoever with the amount of usage showing, I've seen customer lines with far greater.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl,

but you don't understand.

It is NOT average usage at all. It cannot be.

Did you look at the chart I attached?

Some low usage days have triangles and higher days do not.

It only becomes sinister when it is so hard to get a proper answer to a simple question.

I can understand if you don't know the answer.

Don't make something up, just please find someone that does know.

I do believe the triangles are giving  worthwhile information that would be more useful with their precise meaning.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

The information I'm giving you is correct, It is not affecting your connection in any way or the way you use the internet, I cannot give you any further information.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips