would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband connection keeps dropping

64 REPLIES 64
chousden
Team Player

Hi

For approximately the past month I have had repeated issues with my internet connection dropping out (as in the modem router’s connection to the internet, not the wireless connection between the router and devices).

It will drop out for less than a minute before automatically reconnecting. However this will cause issues with anything I am doing at the time, such as disrupting streaming video. This tends to happen multiple times a day. Certainly, the connection rarely seems to hold for more than 24 hours at present.

I am using a netgear modem router (DNGN3700) as I was last given a Talktalk router in 2010, and gave up on this as the wireless connection it provided was unreliable.  I have been through factory resets and ensured the firmware is up to date on the router, while also replacing the filter and the connecting cable to the phone line, none of which have made any difference.

I have also tested the issue using another router (again, ensuring the software is up to date) and have encountered exactly the same issue, which suggests an issue with the line.

Could you please offer some assistance as this is increasingly becoming a problem.

ferguson
Community Star

Are there any issues with your phone service at all? Subject to that the online support team will gladly look into this for you, make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account. Bear in mind that they will not be back online until Monday. 

chousden
Team Player

No, no issues with the phone, but we only really use the line for broadband and most of the time do not even have a landline phone connected.

I've put the details on my account so will wait until Monday to hear from them.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, have you connected at the test socket to rule out any internal wiring issues? 

chousden
Team Player

Yes, it has always been and still is connected to the test socket.

Never any problem with the connection for the previous few years and no reason I am aware of why any wiring issue would have occurred now.

Community Team

Hi chousden

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I can see that the SNR is dropping low and this can affect the stability of the connection.

I have optimised your connection and the SNR has increased. Please can you monitor the connection over the next 48hrs and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

chousden
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I have been away from home for the past few days, but having got back now I can see the connection dropped out a little after 16.30 today, so it seems the issue is still present. I will keep checking this over the next few days to see how it goes.

kind regards

Caspar

Community Team

Hi chousden,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the stability compares over the next few days.

Thanks

chousden
Team Player

Hi

Having looked at the router logs it seems the connection is still very unstable – the connection has dropped on the following times since Monday:

Tuesday:

03:30:14

14:34:14

16:34:48

20:36:24

Wednesday:

03:30:12

08:35:38

15:23:45

16:34:19

Thursday:

03:31:32

04:34:23

06:34:27

08:37:01

12:36:36

Community Team

Hi chousden

Apologies for this.

I can see that the SNR is dropping low again. Have you tested with a different router at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

chousden
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I have tested with a different router at the test socket previously, and experienced the same drop outs. I have plugged this router back in again and will leave this in for now (this is also using a different ADSL filter and cable to rule that out as an issue), but I expect I will continue to see the dropmouts with this. This is a much older router I am now using (Netgear DG834Gv3).

Thanks

Caspar

Community Team

Hi Caspar

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried the line optimisation again and the SNR has increased.

If you do experience this issue again with the different router connected at the test socket then we can escalate this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

chousden
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I just had another line drop out with the different router at 10.15. I had to reset the connection as this router wasn't doing so automatically unlike the other.

Unless that drop out is related to the line optimisation it does suggest the router is not the issue.

Thanks

Caspar

Community Team

Hi Caspar

Apologies, this drop will be due to the line optimisation.

Thanks

Debbie

chousden
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thanks. I've already had a further drop out since at 12.34, so I think it is safe to assume the router is not what is causing the issue here.

Thanks

Caspar

chousden
Team Player

Since then I've had further drop outs at 00.34, 02.39, 03.32, 04.46 and 14.46, so it is clearly not the router that is causing the issue. I am going to revert to using my normal router now.

Community Team

Hi chousden,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've passed this over to our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi chousden,

Our Network Team have asked if you could confirm which router is currently connected at the moment?

Thanks

chousden
Team Player

Hi

It is the netgear DNDG3700.

Thanks

chousden
Team Player

Or rather the DGND3700 to give it the correct designation.