cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband down, chat line like hitting my head against a wall!

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

Here I am sat in my car logged on to some ones BT FON router!

For the past couple of days my phone line has had a crackle and when the phone is used the internet drops out (it also sometimes drops out on it's own).

When it was working I got onto chat, after going through all the steps (which I've done loads of times before) we eventually start to get somewhere when it finally dawns on the talktalk person that there is a line fault, then the internet drops out 😡 it never reconnected, so I open front door rest laptop on the step and log onto someones BT FON, the next operative would not listen to my explaination and had to go through all the steps again, despite me telling him several times he came back with 'you are on a bt line' jesus wept who employs this people? Anyway after an hour he informs me the router is faulty, and a new one is being sent out, for Christ sake this will not solve a crackly line! Any way as I type the BT engineers are working on the lines, whats the odds they have disturbed something, I'm betting odds on, but the chatline people will not listen. Anyway I've just been called in to have my dinner, maybe I'll be able to log on later.

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

Well the 'broken' (talktalks view) router has managed to synch in again, so I'll not have to hobble outside to the car on my crutches.

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

Well the crackle on line is getting worse and internet is down most of the time. Everytime I get or make a phone call it knocks out internet for hours.

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

If the crackle is clearly audible, and is more than merely what you would normally expect on a voice line, then this should be reported as a voice fault to your telephone provider. However I have let an OCE know about this thread so they can take action, they will get back to you in due course. I will ask that you don't post on this thread for the purpose of bumping it, as this will cause it to take longer for an OCE to get back to you.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Colin,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service.

As Kiko4564 has said, we'll need to investigate the crackle first as this could be causing the broadband issue

Does your master socket have a Test socket? If it does can you please check if you can still hear the crackle with the telephone connected to the test socket and router disconnected. If possible can you also test with a second telephone

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

Thank you Chris, I will add that it is still worth persisting even if the crackle cannot be heard in the test socket. This could potentially mean a HR fault in which the broadband signal itself is causing the crackle to be amplified, and hence audible when the router is connected, or it could be a sign of a faulty microfilter. If it cannot be heard in the test socket, I would advise connecting your microfilter and router to the test socket in addition to the phone and see if it can still be heard. If it can still be heard, then I would advise swapping the filter. If it can still be heard, then I would advise posting an update here so OCEs can deal with this, don't waste your time dealing with TalkTalk's telephone support as this issue is likely to be beyond their expertise, or even that of a so called "Qube engineer".

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I would just like to point out I'm a 'old hand' at this and have several micro filters which I've already tried in the test socket, this line has had a intermittent fault for years, seems to be worse when it's wet, and guess what we've had lots of rain recently, most times talktalk test line and find a fault, but by time OR come out it's gone (possibly faulty joint has dried out?).
Anyway this morning has been a bit dry and line was clear as a bell, this afternoon it's been wet again and it's crackling, I will try phoning the talktalk help line and then it should be obvious to them what the problem is.

p.s. tried to reply several times, now doing it from someones BT FON router.

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

By all means, but OCEs can also support you on here if you change your mind. Just remember that it might not even be obvious to an Openreach engineer, to a Qube engineer this fault will most likely not even be found!

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

An update, spent at least 45mins on phone, in that time internet was mostly down, couple of times the line crackled so bad we could hardly hear each other, waiting a call back.

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

Good to know, let us know how you got on. If they are unable to assist, the OCEs might be able to.

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

The return call was booked for between 6pm and 8pm, nobody called.

Next day when I wasn't at home I got message on answerphone and call on mobile!

Anyway after couple of days OR engineers had finished messing about with ducts and line is back to normal, I suspect the disturbed joint or what ever is now making good contact.

I'm now just hanging on waiting for TT to start FTTP over OR fibre then should get that problem again.

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

Good to know, let us know if you need any further assistance.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Colin59,

Glad to hear it's back to normal, thanks for letting us know 

Chris

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

After several hours of rain my internet went down again and phone line was crackling when making phone calls. 14 hours later I phoned the helpline, during the phone call I got internet back probably because the rain had eased off overnight.

After about 1 hour of first landline then mobile call there was no resolution, the operator blamed my internal wiring, this is despite my set up being inspected by (back in the day) Brightsparks, then Qube, and several Openreach engineers and found to have no faults, it is not surprising the engineers cannot find any fault in the house as there is only a mk4 (previously a mk3) socket with no extensions.

Highlighted
Kiko4564
Super Duper Contributor

Sorry to hear that, I'll make an OCE aware so they can assist.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Colin

I can see an increase in dropping connections over the last 24hrs.

The next option is to arrange an Openreach engineer.  As the tests are clear at thin moment, then we would have to arrange an appointed visit.

Would you like to go ahead with this ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Colin59
Conversation Starter

Hello Karl, thank you, yes I would like an engineer visit, but it really needs stressing to them that this is a intermittent problem, it usually only happens during prolonged periods of rain, and it has been going on for several years, if they where to turn up right now there may not be an apparent fault.

I am just waiting for TalkTalk to start selling FTTP over Openreach fibre, as it's on our pole, that will solve the problem, but in the meantime I need a reasonably reliable connection as I can't rely on mobile signal, and at times like this morning had to go outside with my laptop and log into my nabours BT FON router just to get the TalkTalk phone number. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

I'll drop you a pm with the info we need to confirm for Openreach Bookings.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Colin,

I've replied to your PM requesting a bit more information 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Colin

I've booked the engineer visit for Tuesday December 24 2019, AM (08:00-13:00) please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris