cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Broadband dropping and Sky channels very pixelated

18 REPLIES
Highlighted
Martinfdifa
Team Player

I appreciate that you are showing that there is some localised disruption which might cause this (although my location isn't on the list shown). This has been happening for weeks now. The Sky channels are virtually unwatchable and catchup is forever buffering. I've re-started the router, the Talktalk box etc all to no avail.

One point that I have noticed is that the Powerline adapt or that connected to the router shows the Powerline LED as Amber or red most of the time, yet the remote adapt or is green.

Can you check from your end to see whether the service shows disruption? My router is Huwei HG633.

Thanks

Martin

Community Team

Hi

Speeds look fine as your router is in sync at 37mb. No errors showing.

The red light on the powerline adapter usually indicates that the communication speed between the adapters is falling low.

Are the adapters direct into wall sockets ?  Is it possible to try the adapters in any other electrical sockets ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

The adaptors are plugged directly into wall sockets and I have tried using different sockets but there doesn't seem to be any difference. The router is plugged into the main telephone socket, not an extension and the house only has one telephone which is plugged into another extension socket. 

When I check the broadband speed on my computer it is around 25 mMbps but as I say, the Internet channels frequently buffer and the Sky channels pixelate dreadfully. 

I have tried everything I can think of so hope that you can think of some solution. 

I have wondered if it is the TV box. It often seems to 'hang' when we are watching a recorded programme and some other programme starts recording. When this happens, the TVs goes blank for a few minutes then comes back on of its own accord. 

Thanks for for looking into this.

Regards

Martin

Community Team

Hi

Line speeds all look ok.  I would not suspect the TV box at this point, as the powerline showing a red light indicates a communication issue between the 2 devices.

I'll get these swapped out and see if this improves the situation.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Thanks Karl. I'll let you know how things go.

Kind regards

Martin

Community Team
Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl & Debbie

The new Powerline adaptors arrived today - what a difference! Easy to set up and the results were immediate.

Thank you for your help ( once again). We have put up with the original configuration, assuming that it was the best we could hope for but if the new set up remains as it is now, then that will be fantastic.

Kind regards 

Martin

Community Team

Hi Martin

Glad the new adapters are working for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl,

It seems that I spoke too soon. Tried watching a programme this evening on BBC catch-up and every few seconds it was buffering. Tried watching Sky and the pixelation is as bad as ever.

I really thought that the problem was cured but it seems not. I'm going to check tomorrow but I suspect that for some reason, the problem is less marked during the daytime but really bad in the evening. 

Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed. If it can't be cured, then I might as well get rid of the Sky boost as it makes programmes impossible to watch. 

Kind regards

Martin

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

Im afraid that I've just tried the Sky channels (daytime) and the pixelation is dreadful, so it seems to be day and night.

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

Ive just re-booted the router and the Sky channels are fine again. I have also tried terrestrial catch up and it's not buffering, so clearly, at times the Internet is working well. It is just so inconsistent and as a result is more than a little irritating.

Kind regards

Martin

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

Im afraid that things are as bad as ever.image.jpeg

As you can imagine, it is pointless trying to watch a screen that does this every couple of seconds.

Hope that you can come up with some ideas, especially since it appears from others that I am far from alone in experiencing this problem.

Kind regards

Martin

Community Team

Hi

Do you notice the buffering more on terrestrial channels or subscription channels ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

Thanks for the quick reply. The buffering is on the terrestrial catch up viewing and the pixelation is on the Sky channels.

Kind regards

Martin

Community Team

Hi

Lets get that router swapped out for a different model and see if this stabilises on the line for the subscription channels.

Karl.

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

If you think that will help then I'm fine with it. I'll try anything if we can improve the situation. Thanks for keeping on trying.

Kind regards

Martin

Community Team

This should arrive in the next couple of days, connect up and see if it does improve things.

Thanks

Karl. 

Martinfdifa
Team Player

Hi Karl

The new router arrived yesterday (old one on its way to TalkTalk) and connected without problem. The Internet channels/catch-up worked fine. I tried the watching a catch-up channel today and it started buffering after about 10 minutes of watching. I switched to Sky 1 and it showed a message that there was no broadband.

I checked the router and it was showing all green lights. I then re-paired the router and the receiver and managed to get the broadband back. 

I will assess over the next few days and let you know how things are going.

kind regards

Martin

Community Team

Hi Martin

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie