Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband dropping frequently

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Participant

Broadband has been dropping frequently for last week or so. I have been through service centre and it recognises there is an issue but keep getting an error message when try to 'check the line'. I have followed all instructions re: cabling, rebooting etc. There is also a crackle on the landline. Currently using my mobiledata as broadband offline again. Does anyone know how to contact Talktalk at the moment? Online chat doesnt seem to be working? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi NH2020

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Is the noise on the line permanent or intermittent?

Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Still having problems with connection dropping. Openreach engineer has been. Couldn't trace where fault is precisely but they know the entire line is faulty. Won't replace at the moment as not bad enough! And the line is 100meters long and underground. They have asked that I keep reporting to you/talk talk. Some days drops worse than others - sometimes 3/4 times sometimes every couple mins. The router flashes orange and then reboots itself. Sometimes takes 30secs sometimes upto 5 mins. We don't even have to be actively online  for it drop. I am frequently logging in to service centre and running checks. It shows line stability and speed is bad. Can"t get through on chat. Can u do anything? 

Highlighted

Hi NH2020,

I'm really sorry to hear this and I'm just taking a look now. I've re-run the line test which is clear at the moment. Does it seem to happen more often when it rains or is windy? Is the noise still present at the moment?

Can I also confirm if you've previously tested with an alternative router at the test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Weather doesn't seem to affect. In fact there's no real pattern at all - it just drops over and over. I don't have a spare router but the one we have is fairly new as was replaced last year when we had the same issue. I don't think it was fully sorted then just patched up enough to work a bit better. The line speeds keep going so slow now - presumably because of increased traffic - that it"s dropping frequently again. Yes crackle on phone line is present. 

Highlighted

Hi NH2020,

Do you still hear the crackle with the telephone connected to the test socket and everything else disconnected?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Phone crackle intermittent too but yes when crackling badly still does it when plugged straight into the test socket.

Highlighted

Hi NH2020,

OK thanks. All we can really do is arrange another engineer visit, please let us know if you'd like to go ahead

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Perhaps if enough engineer visits are booked openreach might fix it properly?! They came out at least 8 times last year and dug up a large section in front of the house - as the problem is back let's give visit number 2 for 2020 a go! 

BTW - can we get Fibre yet in our area? Keep being told they'll be updating our area 'soon'?! Although not sure that fibre to box will fix the problem anyway? 

Can you tell me from your records what our average speed is at the moment and how often it's dropping.  Think we're lucky if we get 4/5 mbps?

Highlighted

Hi NH2020,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Regarding fibre, does it show that it's available in My Account?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Yes please arrange engineer visit - I've pm'd you. 

Fibre shows as available but if try to order says can't get it at our address. According to engineer there's fibre to box but not enough connections to go around? Any ideas/solutions? 

Highlighted

Hi NH2020,

Regarding fibre, we can only really wait for Openreach to add capacity to the cab

I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Logged on to my account again yesterday and it says faster fibre now available! I have accepted-do you think this will solve the stability issue? I have replied to your PM too.

Highlighted

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Is there anymore information about this in your MyAccount since your last post? Would you still like to go ahead with the engineer visit or would you prefer to wait for fibre?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Received go live date - 4Aug. Do you think switching to fibre will sort the problem? 

Highlighted
Participant

It's dropping really badly today. I went back through the service centre and eventually it stayed on long enough for it to run the tests. Came up with following message - but the link to 'contact our team' doesn't work/connect. 

NH2020_0-1595584319947.png

I tried going through the Help chat on the home/account screen but getting the following - 

Your session has expired. Please close this window and start a new conversation in order to resume.

Please can you help get this sorted. If I need an engineer then please arrange for asap.

Highlighted

Hi NH2020

I'm sorry for the delay.

I can see that an engineer visit has been arranged for 28/07 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Engineer came yesterday. Couldn't find fault on the line but can see that the signal dropping multiple times a day - up to 50x on some days! Has replaced master socket and ordered a new router. Fibre due to go live next week and engineer advised contact him if there are still problems after fibre is live and router changed. 

Hopefully a new router and fibre will sort it but have to wait and see.

Highlighted

Hi NH2020

Thanks for letting us know. Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Looks like new router has made no difference as was dropping again over the weekend. 

Fibre due to go live tomorrow - hopefully that will solve the issue?