Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out and slow speed

Axa23
Team Player
Message 23 of 23
I need some assistance please, about a month ago I noticed my internet speed had dropped from about 8 to under 1. I contacted talk talk to try to rectify and spent about 3 hours talking to 4 different people to try to sort, I was even left hanging on the mobile phone for about 45 mins at one point and eventually had to hang up and start again, very stressful. Anyway they obviously did something because over the following week the speed slowly crept up to about 7.5 which was fine. A couple of days ago I noticed the router dropping out and my speeds crashing again, down to under 1 at one point. I am in the situation where I cannot face making the calls again and just wondered if someone could look into this and try to replicate the fix from before? I am a bit of a technophobe when it comes to this sort of thing so don't always understand it when asked questions
0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi Axa23,

Ok thanks for confirming this. The line is now showing in sync for almost 2 days. How has the stability been since your last post? Could you run a wired speed test so we can see how the throughput speed compares in relation to the sync speed please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Hi, just done as requested and can confirm again that the router does not work in the test socket ( tried 2 different micro filters so not these). As mentioned before last time my internet played up it was suggested I get a split master socket ( one socket for broadband, one for phone line) which I did and speed showed a massive improvement. The engineer at the time did state that as the signal was now split at source that the designated socket was the only one that the router would work in, think this is why test socket behind faceplate not working with the router.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 23

Hi Axa23

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket again so I can check the connection stats? Can you connect the router using a different microfilter?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23
Yep, router plugged directly into master socket and have a few extensions around the house, one of which is used for the home landline. Don't need micro filters for anything as phone/broadband split at master socket. All other devices that use internet are on power line adapters so are essentially wired. As I mentioned before in the thread we had quite a consistent speed of around 8 before. The only other bit of info I can give is when I had a similar problem a few years back that couldn't be sorted over the phone with talk talk, I contacted yourselves and you changed the profile on the line as it was a bit noisy. Hope this all helps.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Hi Axa23,

Ok thanks for trying this. Is the router usually connected directly at the master socket? Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

There is a test socket behind the plate, which I plugged the router into on the first weekend I initiated this thread to see if it would rectify the problem. I also used a micro filter on it at the same time. I had no internet at all using this method, as mentioned before think it might be because it is a pre filtered socket openreach MK3.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Hi Axa23

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket? There should be a test socket underneath the faceplate.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Unfortunately it is a pre filtered socket so I don't think that the router will work from it, tried before and no broadband at all. All a bit techie for me but sure you understand this more than I do

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Hi Axa23,

Ok thanks for confirming. I can see that DLM has lowered the sync speed slightly due to a high number of errored seconds on the line. Does your master socket have a test socket?

If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket and we can try optimising the connection again to see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 23
Mostly wired but on occasion I've tested wirelessly, doesn't seem an awful lot of difference to be honest.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi Axa23,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, are you running the speed tests wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

Been monitoring as per request, has dropped down to 4 on a couple of occasions but think this might be the speed test program itself rather than the broadband speed itself. Most tests show between 6 or 7 but line was holding at about 8 solid for weeks before this issue so seems like a bit more tweaking to be done please

0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Hi Axa23

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection/speed over the next 48hrs and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Thank you for your help Michelle, I have just got home from work and carried out a speed test and obtained 9 Mbps wired which I have never got in all the years with talk talk. I used the landline as well to see if the broadband would drop out and it seemed to stay steady. Can we not close this yet as I would like to monitor for a while in case the problem returns?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 23

Hi Axa23,

Thanks for the update. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault so I've optimised the connection to try and increase the sync speed further 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Hi making progress! the OCE team will pick up on this tomorrow, I'm just a mere customer mortal. But rest assured the wheels are in motion.

D

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 17 of 23
Think I may have at least part sorted the problem. I went and bought a really cheap wired telephone today so that I could carry out a quiet line test at the master socket. Anyway I plugged it in and lifted the receiver and the broadband didn't drop out, so bizarrely it seems that my wireless phone that I have had for years and is connected at the far end of the house was somehow throwing the internet out on all outgoing and incoming calls?. Think it might still be worth running diagnostics on the line though as speed had dropped quite considerably. I know when I had a problem about a month ago they ran dms? and the speed crept up to almost 8 over the week. Can you initiate this for me?
0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

Hi Axa, none that will help, I think we will have to wait for the professional s tomorrow. They can run diagnostics etc. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on progress.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 23
Morning, nope the router is a HG533 and I managed to get access to the router gateway yesterday and it all seems fine. I think I have at least partly located the problem. As mentioned before I have a pre filtered master socket installed and have noted that the broadband drops out on incoming/outgoing landline calls.After hours of trying different things I think it may be the internal filter in this unit that has failed. I have ordered a new one and will swap it out to see if this makes a difference. I am slightly concerned that if it is not this then it may be the dreaded high resistance fault that I have read so much about on various forums and I know can take years to sort. At the mo I have removed all landline phones and the broadband hasn't dropped out at all but obviously this isn't a long term solution. Any ideas?
0 Likes

Message 20 of 23

Hi Axa, don't mean to be death by 1000 questions, could you elaborate on your router, is it Sagemcom and were you using the router password rather than WiFi password to access the gui?

0 Likes