Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops every 5-15min

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 19

Hi there,

Past few days (since Monday) my connection has been dropping every 5-15min and coming back 1-5min later. The online line test does not return any issues, and when I tried chatting to tech support the test they have ran also did not return any problems on the line.

I have been sent a new router (TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100124) but the problem is still happening. Nothing on my network has changed and the connection used to be stable for at least a year prior to this.

When the connection drops I cannot access the admin interface of the router but I can still ping it on 192.168.1.1, during the drop I cannot ping outside the network (see screenshot).2021-10-22_21-01_ping.png

Could you please send out a BT OpenReach engineer to have a look?

I am a remote worker and this fault is a huge problem for me. I have no luck using the live chat so I thought I would try here.

Any help would be appreciated. I can try to include any other debug info if needed.

Kind regards,

Lukasz

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hello,

I'm glad to hear this, thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 19

Hi, happy to report the new device is working well and so far I have had no issues. Thanks again I am posting the old router back Sunday morning.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 19

Hi @Karl-TalkTalk,

Thanks for the fast response!

Kind regards,

Lukasz

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi

I'll get a router out to you.

Your line is set as network authentication, so for the dsl details in a third party router, just set the username to :  yourphonenumber@talktalk.net  and for the password just use 12345678

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 19

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk ,

Thank you for arranging the engineer visit. So the update from the engineer is that the line is perfectly fine. First test showed no errors or corrected errors and the electrical test shows the line is good (see attached).

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-27 at 09.16.44.jpeg

Based on this I now believe both the old router and the replacement sent to me are faulty. I am returning the replacement router as it is even less stable than my current unit.

Could you please send another router for me to test?

On a separate note, could you send me my DSL credentials privately so that I can try testing with a third party unit?

Kind regards,

Lukasz

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi lokraszewski

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 27/10 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi lokraszewski

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 19

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , thanks for the reply! Yes please, I would like to arrange an engineer visit. While the old router is more stable the occasional drops are still interfering with my work.

Kind regards,

Lukasz

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi lokraszewski

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

If the connection is still dropping with 2 different routers, cables and filters at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

notatalktalkfan
First Timer
Message 11 of 19

I think I am experiencing a similar issue with yours. I post related information here.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Boardband-not-stable-packages-lost-every-a-few-seconds...

As far as I can see, there is no way we can solve it. So frustrating. 

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 19

Hi, @Skynet_TX, tested both wired and wireless, both have the issue. It's a little harder to test it now that its less frequent on the old router.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 19

Are these drops being experienced by a device that is connected wired or wireless ?

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 19

So it seems the drops now happen a lot less frequently but they do still happen every 2hours or so.

2021-10-24_18-04_old_router_drop.png

What is very weird is that if I reconnect the device it comes back quickly, otherwise it takes a few minutes to recover.

Any ideas on what could be going on here?

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 19

I did some further tests on Sunday, I have factory reset my original router (EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway).
First thing of note is that the SNR appears to be much better than the new device:
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 20.9
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 20.1

2021-10-24_15-40_old_router_dsl.png

I tried directly connecting my laptop to my old router to ensure the problem is not caused by any device on the network.
I have not seen any drops for 15m, I have then plugged in the rest of the network and change the SSID back to normal. I have not seen drops for another 15min.

I have monitored this setup on a ping graph for about 2h and have not had a drop yet.

Then back to the new one:
Noise Margin [dB] 0.00 (down) 6.00 (up)

My broadband drops within 2minutes. At this point my old router gives me a more stable connection than before. I am thinking about posting the new replacement router back as it seems to make things worse.

I am still scratching my head what caused the drops originally on my old router before doing a factory reset. I will keep my eye on it for now to see if any drops occur tomorrow during work hours.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 19

Are you seeing these issues with a wired or wireless device (or both), as if the LED is remaining solid white then that would suggest the router is not actually dropping its connection to the internet.

The faceplate does always plug into the Test socket, but by plugging your router directly into the Test socket (via a microfilter) you are then eliminating any other phone wiring in your home, and the faceplate itself, from the equation (although as I say, if the LED is remaining white your sync is probably not actually dropping)

0 Likes

lokraszewski
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 19

Hi @Skynet_TX,

Thanks for your reply.

The LED is solid white, I have not seen it go red/flashing. Unfortunately I don't have a landline to test this, I will see if I can find one before Monday.

The problem exists when connected to the test socket, in fact I am pretty sure my faceplate connects directly to the test socket anyway.

2021-10-23_22-25_xdsl0.png

One thing I did notice is that my downstream noise margin is 0.00 on the status page. Not sure if that could be related to my issues.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Hi @lokraszewski,

What does the router LED do when you have these issues ?

If you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.