cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband is crawling - being getting worse for a week - what is going on?

26 REPLIES 26
LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Our broadband seems to have been getting progressively slower this past week - today speeds are hitting roughly 39mbps, but have been down to 6.5, and rarely crawl above 52.

It occasionally shows 78 or even 104, but quickly reverts down again.

A regular download which should take around 90seconds is showing as needing nearly 7minutes, pages are coming up as 'unavailable' or 'cannot reach the server', and when I wanted to run the TalkTalk service test I just got a blank white page, so cannot determine if there is a problem for myself!

We are using TalkTalk broadband on a BT phoneline, via a Netgear router.

Everything was fine until six or seven days ago, when this s-l-o-w-ness started.

We do have slight background noise on the phone - but that has been there for years, even after BT replaced the cable!

Our only issue was at the end of August, when an Openreach sub-contractor connecting our neighbours managed to disconnect us ("oh, I saw a loose cable in the box..."), but after he was made to go back and fix it, we actually had better speed and no phone noise.

The slowness has been at its worst yesterday and today, and as I have to work from home, this is becoming something of a nightmare!

Community Team

Hi LadySilver

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can I just check if the telephone number in your Community Profile is correct? (please do not post the number on this thread)

Thanks

Debbie

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Yes, it's correct.

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Things may be seeming slightly better now, as just after posting I re-booted the router (switched it off for a few minutes before switching on again), but I can't keep doing this every day - especially as the slowness is happening at varying times and I have to turn of the computer first each time!

Community Team

Hi LadySilver

Have you tested with a different router? I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure what difference this would make, as I do not believe the router is the problem - it is only a couple of years old, and as said, all has been fine until a week ago.

regards,

Silver

Community Team

Hi LadySilver,

The problem appears to be fluctuating noise levels on your line affecting sync speed and causing errors 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

One socket, and we use one of those 'split' things to be able to plug in both router and telephone.

We've had background noise on the phone for years (sometimes just 'hissing noise', occasionally it's as if we're picking up talk-radio), and are surrounded by people using various BT wireless internet.  

I've had to switch the router on/off again today, as while I had an initial reading of 144mbps, within a couple of hours it dropped to 39mbps.

Coincidentally, we had an automated scam call this afternoon, claiming to be BT, saying there was fraudulent activity on our line and IP address!

Silver

Community Team

Hi LadySilver

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi LadySilver

Thank you. Would it be possible to connect the router directly at the test socket? (with the lower section of the face plate removed)

Debbie

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I've plugged the splitter into the test socket, as obviously the ADSL line doesn't fit there directly!

How long do I need to leave it like that for?

Because I really need to put it back within about 30 minutes.

Community Team

Hi LadySilver

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to leave the filter, router and phone at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see how the connection compares? This would help to rule out any possible issues with the faceplate or internal wiring.

Thanks

Debbie

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

So put it back to normal Sunday/Monday?

I'll try - but other people in this house may not be happy!

The background 'hiss' on the phone seems slightly louder, but it may be the weather.

Regards,

Silver

Community Team

Hi Silver

In regards to the noise on the line, Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

No, the 'hiss' (which is currently barely there) is the same either way.

Silver

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Just as I was posting that reply, we lost internet access completely - a red light on the router where we usually have green - and I've had to switch off/on again to restore it.

Were you testing something at that point, or is it just coincidence?

Silver

BTFan
Team Player

My internet has just about slowed to a stop in RH19 and it's been like that for over a day. It probably was not up to full speed long before that.

It's interesting how TalkTalk always ask customers to check with a direct connection to the master socket when they know full well the problem is in their system.

I've just set in motion a change of provider since after many years I now know that TalkTalk will never improve. 

LadySilver
Conversation Starter

9am Sunday morning, and we've suddenly plummeted from 117mbps when I switched on 20 minutes ago to 39mbps (oh, now 26mbps!) - still plugged in to the test socket.

Is this our connection, or is it affected by which websites I have open?

Because the site I thought might be slowing it down was running very quick yesterday...

Community Team

Hi LadySilver.

Is your router still connected to your test socket?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router?

Chris