Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping

MattBiggin
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

All day today I've had my broadband dropping. It's worked perfectly for months. I've changed nothing in the house. Nothing new connected, disconnected. No damage to anything. Today it's just started being really unstable.

I phoned customer support and I'm told that I need an engineer to come to my house in two days time. I'm seriously struggling to see how this is an issue with either my wiring (which hasn't changed), nor my router (which hasn't changed).

Me and my wife both work from home and having unstable broadband is hugely impactful.

Is there a way of getting further support because I feel like very little was done to diagnose the issue ahead of booking an engineer. I'm thoroughly unconvinced that they will find anything wrong.

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi MattBiggin

Thanks for your reply.

I can see that Openreach have now closed the fault with the below notes:

Line tested ok following remote testing on the BT line

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

MattBiggin
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for following up on this.

Ever since customer support ran a line test yesterday my broadband connection has been solid. In fact this morning I got a text from Openreach saying that they had done some testing and the line is now OK. (Which implies that it wasn't at some point). Openreach want to know whether the issue is resolved and I have to say at the moment that it appears to be, though I have no idea what actions were taken to do that.

I'm going to tell Openreach to cancel their visit on the basis that it's a little difficult to diagnose an issue when there isn't an issue. I'd really like some details to what the issue was yesterday because I had outages literally all day long and it had a significant impact on my work.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 6

Hi Matt,

How are you getting on? Do you still need assistance with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

MattBiggin
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the diagnostic information. I shall get that done.

I really don't want to waste an engineers time unnecessary unless this really is something that requires an in-person visit.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @MattBiggin,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service (although this may only pick up the same issues that the phone support staff would have detected with their tests). You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, if the drops still happen when using the test socket then this eliminates any additional extension phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause.

Staff here on the community will be able to pick this post up tomorrow, they will be able to run some tests on your connection and your router to see if it does detect an issue in or near the home that needs an engineer.