Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband repeatedly disconnects then reconnects

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

Our broadband repeatedly disconnects then reconnects. The outages usually last a few minutes, but a few have been an hour or more. There can be 10 or 20 outages per day. The problem arose about two weeks ago.

A few of the outages (but only a few) seem to have been triggered by someone phoning the landline.

The problem occurs both with wifi and with cable connections.

We've tried the following things to see if they would fix the problem (but they haven't worked):

- Requested two line tests via the TalkTalk website (the most recent being today 17:43) - reply received 'your connection looks ok'.

- Taken the front off the master socket (Openreach 5C) and connected to the test socket instead.

- Consulted our employers' IT people who ran a check (on 14 June) and replied: 'Your upload speed appears to be quite slow, along with a high latency. This would typically cause the type of performance issues you have described. We would recommend that you get in contact with your internet service provider and see if there is a deterioration of service.'

- Switched off the router for an hour or more and then switched it on again.

- Tried two different routers (first was Netgear, second TalkTalk).

- Tried unplugging the landline.

What can you suggest now?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi jgoodare

Thank you 🙂

I have just sent you a Private Message.

Debbie

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 2 of 12

Thank you! I've received the message now, and clicked on 'Confirm Email'.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi jgoodare

Apologies for this.

I have resent the verification email, please can you check if you have received this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Thanks, Debbie.

I've been trying all afternoon to 'verify' my email address, but so far without success. On the 'My Profile : My settings' page (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile), I see that my 'Email verification status' is 'Not Verified'. I don't think I received a message about this when I joined the community. I've clicked repeatedly on the button saying 'Send me the confirmation email again', but no confirmation email has arrived. I'm sure that the 'Current email' displayed for me is the correct one, and I've checked my spam folder. I've even updated the other settings (I just changed the 'avatar') in case that would make a difference, but it hasn't.

What would you recommend that I do now?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi jgoodare

Please can you verify your email address, we will have sent you an email when you joined the Community to verify your email.

I can then send you a Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi jgoodare

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for your responses.

It's hard for us to watch the router's changing behaviour as it disconnects/reconnects, because it's too far from our computers. But I think the 'Broadband' light does remain solid green during an outage, yes.

We would be pleased to receive an engineer visit. Debbie, will you (or one of your colleagues) contact me to arrange this?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 12

Hi jgoodare

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I can see that the SNR is varying and dropping low. There are also a high number of errors on the line.

I have completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

If you have tested with 2 different routers, cables and filters at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

So the 'Broadband' light remaining solid green indicates that the physical connection between your router and the street cabinet/exchange is ok, but a red 'Internet' light would indicate that even though your router is physically connected ok, it can't log into the TalkTalk network.

If the connection was completely dropping you would see the 'Broadband' light go out and then  flash green as it reconnects.

Staff here should hopefully be able to pick this post up tomorrow to investigate further.

Message 10 of 12

Thank you for your response.

The lights on the TalkTalk router do this:

1. When it's workng:
POWER - on green
BROADBAND - on green
INTERNET - on green, flashing
WIRELESS - on green, flashing
ETHERNET - off

2. When it's not workng:
POWER - on green
BROADBAND - on green
INTERNET - on red
WIRELESS - on green, flashing
ETHERNET - off

The landline is working normally, yes.

I've updated my community profile as you suggest.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @jgoodare,

What do the light(s) do on the router when you have these problems ?

Can you check to see if the landline is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.