Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband router speed shows as much higher than actual

SpeedConcerns
First Timer
Message 16 of 16

I would be interested in people’s views on this.

Recently had a line fault - first poor broadband speed and then no dial tone/wouldn’t ring in the house.

Raised a fault with Talk Talk.

Talk Talk eventually agreed is was a problem.  BT Openreach then appeared to have found a fault outside the house and say they have fixed it.

Dial tone/ring inside the house restored and Broadband speed on the router better than before - now a whopping 31 Mb - on a 65 Mb plan !!

However, speed still slow as before - speedtester.net - even when embedded within the Talk Talk portal shows never more than 10 Mb.

Have raised another fault with Talk Talk - but had to make a formal complaint as I was told it was a WiFi issue, even though I have explained tests have been done over a wired ethernet connection.  They actually told me there had been no faults on the line for the last seven days!!

Luckily I had previously requested the case/ticket numbers.

So in summary - router showing broadband speed three times what I am getting ‘this side’ of the router.

Seems either some throttling is being done by Talk Talk or the router I now have is faulty/not configured correctly after the line fault has been ‘fixed’ by BT Openreach.

Router is:

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100130

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

Thanks for the update. If you would like to discuss changing the package then I'd recommend contacting our Loyalty Team directly so they can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

SpeedConcerns
First Timer
Message 2 of 16

Thanks for taking the time to check for me  @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I agree - it seems that the line has now been working OK and is stable for a few days - a speed test just now over WiFi shows just over 30Mbps.

No further DNS errors in the router logs - but it is not clear why they just stopped - so the poor browsing speed on both wired and WiFi connections has improved also.

It was @Skynet_TX that has suggested the original fix (router off for over 30 mins)  I think, so thanks again to them.

The DNS issues seem to be a sporadic complaint with a lot of Talk Talk customers, so maybe it will return again in the future. 😞

So - it seems that the best we will get is around the 30Mbps mark - and as pointed out we are paying for the 65 service.

What do I need to do to request a reduction in the monthly fee - so drop to a 35 service - please?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Morning,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and I can see that the sync speed has been gradually increasing over the last few days. Can I just confirm, when you're intermittently experiencing the slow browsing, are you connected wired or wireless at the time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Seems like the last DNS error was at 

13.10.2021 00:46:31

Do these things just sort themselves out then, or has someone changed something in the early hours of this morning?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Now done 👍

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi SpeedConcerns

Please can you also add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 16

Yes, you are on the latest firmware then, best to wait for the staff here to take a look at this tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Message 8 of 16

This is displayed on the router:

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100130

So looks like this is the latest firmware version …

After the advice from @Skynet_TX to leave router off for over 30 mins, broadband speed seemed better, but browsing was sporadically slow.

Checked logs and with lots of DNS errors changed to Google DNS servers.

Then much, much better - hence my earlier reply.

However, this has only lasted about 30 mins and now the browsing is slow again and the DNS errors are sadly back 😞

TV apps seem better, so looks like the broadband speed has improved after the off for 30 mins trick.

DNS is still the problem I think now …

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 16

The new firmware is SG4K100130, this fixes the DNS issues

You are presumably currently on SG4K10002816t

You can't upgrade firmware yourself from a local file, the only way for firmware to be upgraded is either it happening automatically overnight, or the staff here pushing it to your router manually. Are you actually having any problems with accessing the internet, or it is just that the logs are filling up but you can still access the internet ok ?

Browsing to http://192.168.1.1/ will show you the login screen of the router, the firmware version is shown near the bottom.

0 Likes

SpeedConcerns
First Timer
Message 10 of 16

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Oh dear - looks like I was happy too soon 😞

DNS issues have come back - lots of 

“DNS name resolution failure (channel.status.request.url)”

In the system logs.

I have seen many other posts in the community about the same issue  - where can I get/check the latest version of the firmware - it seems I can only update from a local saved file.

Am I allowed to use another router on the Talk Talk connection/network?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 16

@SpeedConcerns, the staff here on the community should be able to check tomorrow to see what speed your line should be able to support, but if that speed is under 40mbps then there is no point being on Fibre 65. I don't think the staff on the community can arrange a 'downgrade' for you, you would probably need to phone up to speak to the Loyalty team, but best to wait for the community team to clarify things tomorrow.

0 Likes

SpeedConcerns
First Timer
Message 12 of 16

@Michelle-TalkTalk - I’ve updated personal profile as requested.

Looks like the advice from @Skynet_TX has sorted this.

Is it possible to ‘downgrade’ from Fibre 65 to Fibre 35 and save some money?

SpeedConcerns
First Timer
Message 13 of 16

Thanks for the information.

The ‘router off for over 30 minutes’ seems to have worked - at least we are now getting the equivalent speed on either side of the router - although I had to change the DNS to use Google’s to get some decent browsing performance.

Thanks also for the advice on the line speed bundle - I’ll see if it improves any over the next few days and then get on to TalkTalk about this.

I am just so surprised that this wasn’t mentioned by the customer service staff that I spoke to as it seems such a simple/basic thing to try and could have saved me many, many long chats - and me also getting annoyed too.

Thanks so much @Skynet_TX for your help/advice.

Nice one. 👍

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @SpeedConcerns,

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, this will force a new session in the street cabinet and can often get the 'wired' throughput speeds back up to something much closer to the router sync speed.

If that doesn't help, then for one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range, should you be getting speeds much faster than the 31mbps sync that you currently have, as if 31mbps is all your line can handle you would be better off on Fibre 35 if that would be cheaper for you.