would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband slowed right down - unsatisfactory response from Support

27 REPLIES 27
whatever
Team Player

Hi,

My broadband suddenly slowed right down last Wednesday. I typically get speeds of around 3.5Mbps, but since then I've been getting around 0.5-1.0Mbps.

- I have not changed anything with my set-up
- all cables, wires OK
- reboot/restart of router makes no difference
- phone line/calls all OK
- I do not have spare router to test with

I contacted Support on Thursday and after a long chat, and after doing some tests, they confirmed the issue was not within my home set-up and was something 'outside' (at the exhange?) so they finally agreed to call out an OpenReach engineer.

OpenReach engineer phoned me this afternoon to say connection was working - I explained connection has always been working and the issue was speed, he then told me that speed was something TalkTalk would need to fix.

I contacted Support again to tell them what the OpenReach engineer told me. They responded that this would get fed back to the Support team (another area of support) who would then look into it.

Just had an email telling me "Our engineer has resolved the issue and everything should be back to normal",

So 6 days later, I'm back where I started - only much angrier. 😡

HELP.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

whatever
Team Player

After more contact from TalkTalk I've decided to upgrade to Faster Fibre - which is a pretty crafty marketing ploy.

Community Team

Hi whatever,

You should see much better speeds on fibre. I can try optimising your connection again to see if we can improve your speed a bit in the meantime, would you like me to do this (your connection could be a bit unstable though)?
Chris

whatever
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Chris - any help would be appreciated as my Fibre isn't due to be implemented until September 5th.

Since having the issue I have been checking my speed - has hovered around the 1MB mark - but this morning it's around 0.4MB 😩

Community Team

OK, no problem. Can I just ask:

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket

Chris

whatever
Team Player

1 phone socket.

Only other device connected is phone. (Disconnecting phone makes no difference)

Have test socket, tried connecting to it, made no difference.

Community Team

Thanks for the information. I've restarted the optimisation process, sync speed is currently 2.7Mbps. You'll probably find that the speed will fluctuate over the next few days

Chris

whatever
Team Player
That's great - thanks for your help.

What is the optimisation process? I'm still trying to understand why this has happened - apparently nothing at my end, but something you can sort of resolve there???
Community Team

Optimisation is when we reset our line management system (DLM). DLM constantly monitors your connections and adjust the profile (speed) to maintain a faster but stable connection with low error count. Optimisation just tells DLM to forget any current information about your connection and start monitoring again from scratch 

Chris

whatever
Team Player

My Faster Fibre go-live date is Friday 5th September.

This last week, my current ('normal') broadband has been absolutely absymal (been with TalkTalk for over 10 years I believe, never been this bad, nowhere close) - service is constantly dropping out, very slow speeds etc. Restarting the router sometimes helps, but more often than not nothing does, and I just wait a few hours to try again.

My question is - when I 'move' to Faster Fibre am I gonna get a brand new 'thing' so all my problems will go away, or am I just getting a faster version of my current 'thing' so in all likelihood I'll be having the same issues?

whatever
Team Player
This past hour - connection has dropped 3 or 4 times, having to power off router for 30 seconds each time to get it (temporarily) working again.

(The initial problem I had, which I reported about 2 weeks ago and detailed in this thread, was just slow speeds)
Community Team

Hi whatever

Apologies for the delay.

Once the fibre order completes then we can check the connection stats.

In regards to the drops in connection, is this affecting wired devices or just wireless connections?

Thanks

Debbie

whatever
Team Player

Hi - both.

As of today it’s even worse, cannot connect at all. Checking the router and the ADSL light is flashing but the Internet light is completely off. Tried rebooting (which did work yesterday) but that’s not having any effect.

My big worry is that this major issue will not magically be solved when I’m switched to Faster Fibre on Friday?

whatever
Team Player
In the last hour or so it’s dropped about 5 times, getting a stable connection for no more than 10 mins at a time
Community Team

Hi whatever

Do you have another router that you can test with? Is your landline service working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

whatever
Team Player
Sorry, no other router. Landline is OK.

At present, I have no connection whatsoever. Internet light is completely off. Has been dead since late last night.

I did have about 3 hours of constant connection last night though - the longest period all week.
whatever
Team Player
Aaand it’s back (dunno how long for though).

If this is down to someone here, thank you (Debbie?).
whatever
Team Player
5 mins later - connection gone yet again.

This is so frustrating. I can just about put up with it until Friday, when my Faster Fibre gets done - but if I see the same issues then I’ll be cancelling my TalkTalk account and looking elsewhere.
Community Team

Hi whatever

Apologies for this.

If you are still experiencing this fault on Friday then I will send a replacement router for testing. I can't order this until the fibre order completes.

Thanks

Debbie