Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband so slow as to be unusable

38 REPLIES 38
Adam07
Wizz Kid

Hi, it's been getting worse for a while now but the past 2 days has seen our broadband unusable.

It's so slow that I can't even get the speedtest to connect or work so I can't even give you stats.

Obv netflix etc are completely out. For reference, signing into gmail, facebook or this community should take seconds after pressing 'sign in' but it's taking up to four minutes. An audio book download that would usually take a few minutes is currently taking 8 hours with it saying it still has another 5 hours to go etc

I've tried plugging directly into the master socket, tried resets, tried wifi, tried ethernet cable, android phone, iphone, mac and windows. It's useless on all of them whether wired or wireless.

Help please.

Ok, i've just got the speedtest to run. This is NOT the worst it's been.

Date / Time Ping
ms
Download
Mbps
Upload
Mbps

6/19/2019
8:03 PM

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Adam your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. How is your telephone line, any noise?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi Adam07,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault towards the property. Just to confirm, does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Today's results. 22:58pm

ping 96
download 0.88
upload 0.65

It's been so bad that i can't get online and your telephone customer service is worse than useless. It's been over a month now.

Yes we have a master socket and i've testec with it. The engineer who visited in 2018 changed it although he admitted it didn't need changing, it's just the first thing they do on a visit.

Does a fault towards the property mean coming in to the property or inside the property?

Community Team

Hi Adam07,

Just to confirm, does you master socket look like this? If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router directly at the test socket so that we can re-run the line test again?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Adam07
Wizz Kid
Hi, yes it does. i've been asked to do this so many times now, i'll do it again later and will let you know when it's done (i'm out until mid afternoon). as you can see from my response. It's becoming impossible at times to get online and phoning someone is worse than useless.
Community Team

Hi Adam07

Apologies for this.

Once the router is at the test socket then we will run a further line test.

Thanks

Debbie

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Hello. You're my only hope now. I can't phone talktalk again. It's just too soul destroying. I'm hoping if you can't fix this soon you'll waive the termination fee and let me go (as the fault has been going 3 months now).

I can confirm that for some reason the router or phone doesn't work at all in the test socket but will work once i've put the face plate back on and connected in the normal way (albeit extremely slowly)!! We've also established that if we get a call and somebody leaves a message on 1571 then the internet will not function until i've cleared all the messages and restored the normal dial tone.

The birds are once again nesting in the tree and on the phone line which runs through the tree in front of the house. This happens every year and usually results in an engineer having to replace the line. Both of our neighbours have had the lines re rerouted but it still hasn't been suggested for us.

I've suspected since last year when the face plate was changed by a technician that the face plate was dodgy (he admitted it didn't need changing) as he ripped it off and broke the screw connector and told me to simply tape the left side up !!! So now i'm concerned that any engineer visit is going to charge me for this. Does anyone know if I'll he held liable for the cost of this if that is the problem?

I was told over the phone last tuesday that the computers weren't working and that somebody would call me later to confirm an engineer's appointment. Well guess what? Nobody has.I'm going on holiday on wednesday so I guess i'm not getting this fixed until I get back in mid august and have to start this process all over again.

Arghhhh....

Adam

Community Team

Hi Adam07,

I'm sorry for the delay. Thanks for the additional information. As the line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property then the next step will most likely be to arrange an engineer visit. Just to confirm, have you recently tested with an alternative router?

Please let us know once your available/back and we can arrange an engineer visit for you.

Thanks

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Hi, I'm now back from holiday. Can we arrange an engineer's visit? Anytime from thursday onwards.

Community Team

Hi Adam07

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just check if you have recently tested with a different router?

Debbie

Adam07
Wizz Kid

no we haven't. Worth a try?

Community Team

Hi Adam07

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Yes thanks.Might as well try.

Community Team

Hi Adam07

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Hi, The router arrived a few days ago and I have left it running for a few days in the test socket. It has made no difference. My top speed upload speed during lucky moments is 0.48mbps with the download speed almost always being exactly the same (which I believe is in itself unusal). Is there a fault still showing on the line? My phone doesn't work at all, just a completely dead line.

Can we now call out an engineer? This is the third month of no internet and phone, it's not good enough that it's taken this long to get to this stage.

Community Team

Hi Adam07

Apologies for this.

If you are experiencing a no dialtone fault then we will need to investigate this first as this can affect the BB connection.

Is the no dialtone fault still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line? I can then escalate this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Adam07
Wizz Kid

Yes, the phone is completely dead whether it's in the filter, direct into the test socket or through the master socket and i've tested with a different phone to ensure it's not the phone itself that's broken. Also, having the phone plugged in or not makes no difference to the broadband not working. I've also tried different filters.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi Adam07

Thanks for your reply.

I have escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Adam07

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie