Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed and stability

famille_bennett
Team Player
Message 33 of 33

Hi,

after 2 weeks of frustration with home broadband, i'm turning to the community for help.  Apologies for not thinking about you sooner.

1. My internet connection drops out frequently - some days are worse than others.  The worse days strangely seem to be when it rains (?).  I have the Sagemcom FAST 5362 router.  Calling TT directly, they did the requisite line test, and all was fine.  They requested if my phone line was crackly, etc., and it was not - clear signal.  I have made zero changes to the router location, zero changes to the wires, so clearly a problem has evolved somewhere.  i am resetting the router several times a day - i even power it down for minutes at a time, but this makes no change to stability.

2. Speed is an issue and i do not know how to get this resolved.  My broadband package is meant to be guaranteed as greater than 55 Mbps, as the package we are on should be giving us 60 - 80 Mbps download, but the best i seem to be getting these last few days is 42 Mbps.  Upload is around 12 Mbps.  

I renewed package in the summer, and inquired about a new router.  Firmly told no, at that time.  What really useful advice does anyone have for any of my woes?  Can the internet drop out be caused by too many devices?  It really does make working from home more difficult than it already is - and why is the constant reply from talk talk "i'll run a line test - it came back as fine".  Clearly, something is not fine, clearly something has changed.

looking out for your support,

Andrew

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

I suspect this has slipped the net, I have re-escalated it for you.  

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Hi TalkTalk,

please could you look again into my query raised last week about not having your kind gesture to remove a charge from my monthly bill?

I wonder if my answer was masked by the discussion opening up a little to other TT members?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 3 of 33

I have the same issues.

Not getting my paid for guaranteed minimum speed from my modem.

(with TalkTalk rebooting my modem which results is a short term fix before going back to slow)

I have started a new post as TalkTalk have suggested on this thread.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 33

Hi,

i'm just following up on the message below, accepting the kind gesture of reducing the bill by removing the charge mentioned, and i'm sorry to say, it has not happened.  in fact, the next months bill has increased by + £1 without explanation.

Please can you tell me what is happening with this?

Since we are now discussing billing, is there a way to continue the conversation outside of community chat?

Hope to hear from you quickly,

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Hi,

i accept this offer to add the item for free - much appreciated.

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 6 of 33

Hi famille_bennett

The auto compensation scheme does not cover minimum guaranteed speed issues, however I am willing to reduce your monthly cost by adding the unlimited calls for free , rather than half price which you currently have. 

Let me know if that is acceptable.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

Hi,

please could you look back at my earlier question regarding TalkTalk making good for me not receiving my guaranteed speed for a significant number of weeks, until my own issue was resolved?

I recognise recently there was a little distraction - but i'd not forgotten my query,

thanks

andrew

0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

Hi shawry2468,

As Gliwmaeden2 has said, can you please start your own thread and can you update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 33

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the update

(We advise to wait until the issue is resolved before discussing any potential compensation/credit)

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 33

@shawry2468, because it can get very complicated with more than one customer on a help thread, you are asked to post on a new thread of your own. 

You need to return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

You will also need to complete your community forum profile details. Go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard; make sure you put in your Talktalk landline phone number and a fallback mobile phone number; click finish to save. 

Staff will reply in a day or two,  Monday-Friday. 

You may find it quicker to use Chat, linked from the middle of this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

shawry2468
First Timer
Message 11 of 33

I also have the same problems. But when I run the Service testing, It says there is a problem with the line then offers nobody to talk to at all to fix it. I have also consistently been having less than my guaranteed wifi speed within my contract for the last month now.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Hi,

yes, still connected to the test socket and speed maintained.

I'll keep an eye on things - i am confident you are here if i need help.

As a [related] aside, what is the process to sort out the situation where i hadn't been receiving the speed i was purchasing?  The duration was at least 11 weeks.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the update. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? Once the router is connected at the test socket then it can sometimes take over 48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the speed if the connection remains stable.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 33

Hi,

I'm going to update you again, because something has changed.

I logged into the router this morning, and i noted that it has only been connected for 7 and a half hours.  

I noted also that my download speed has increased a lot, to 70.6 Mbps and the upload speed is still 19.6 Mbps. 

Do you know what happened? 

Should I keep an eye on this to make sure it is stable?

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 15 of 33

Hi,

just following up with some data, 3 days after direct connection between router and test socket.

The router is currently showing:

Current speeds

Download: 46.95 Mbps

Upload: 19.53 Mbps

wifi speeds and wired ethernet download and upload speeds are not significantly different than recently reported.

how do you want to proceed?

thanks

andrew

0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Hi,

i have been wired in to the test socket directly for a day or so, and i'm sorry to say we are not there yet.

Before connecting to the test socket

Wireless speeds (i know they vary a lot according to location, number of devices and so on) i am getting are frequently [worse] around 36 Mpbs download, and until yesterday, around 11 Mbps upload.  Yesterday there was a stepped improvement to upload speed of around 17 Mbps.  I do not know what led to this, but i have seen OpenReach at the cabinet close to my house earlier this week (and there has been as well, two disconnects from internet during the last 6 days).

Until yesterday, the router itself was reporting speeds of around 46 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.

After connecting to the test socket (for 1 day)

Wireless speeds consistently around 30 Mpbs download, and 17 Mbps upload.

The router itself is currently reporting speeds of around 47 Mbps and nearly 20 Mbps upload.

I'll keep looking at the numbers (tomorrow and monday, as the disconnect/reconnect to test socket impact settles down), but i cannot see much beneficial improvement coming our way.

Perhaps we can make a decision now that an engineer is required.

Finally, I do not want to forget the matter of my contract not being fulfilled for nearly 11 weeks, so can I be assured that this will also be addressed?

Thanks for your support,

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Morning,

If the router hasn't been tested at the test socket then I'd recommend trying this first just before arranging an engineer visit just to fully rule this out.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 33

Hi,

to be thorough, i need to test the new router plugged in to the test socket - it is currently plugged into the front of the NTE 5C socket.  I think you also mentioned previously about allowing 48 hours afterwards to let the system re-settle.

I like the idea of an engineer though - based on their availability, would it be best to book one just in case?  I ask, because when my old TalkTalk hub was plugged directly into the test socket, we only received 50.8 Mbps download speed at that point.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 33

Hello,

since plugging in the router on Friday morning, i have not switched it off myself.  Yesterday afternoon (Sunday), we had problems at home with error message from the TV saying ethernet not connected - also, one or two issues with Youtube.  As i write to you now, monday morning, i am logged into the router, and it is saying Current Connection time - Online for 0:04:58 day(s), so clearly it has gone off overnight.  There have been no power outages in my town, that i know about.

Internet connection speed, according to the router, is currently Download: 46.93 Mbps and Upload: 11.72 Mbps.

Over the time since Friday, apart from the above, the measured Download speed (wi-fi and wired) has varied between 28.4 and 42.0Mbps.  Ethernet slightly better, perhaps, but quite a range of numbers (18 measurements) and all of them less than the guaranteed speed of 55.2Mbps.  For the upload speed, this was between 8 and 11Mbps.  Ping values 22-26ms, Jitter 1-3ms. Testing tool speedtest.net, Manchester servers usually always selected by the app, (TNP Ltd., Manchester).

Interestingly, when i logged into the router each day (Friday, saturday, sunday) the router informed me the "Current speeds" for "My internet connection, reported 44.7Mbps and 11.7, so clearly this morning, something has improved.

To summarise, apart from a few glitches Sunday afternoon and an overnight glitch, the new router has stayed connected, although the speeds remain less than the contracted guaranteed minimum.

Looking forwards to what you can offer next towards getting the guaranteed minimum,

Andrew

0 Likes