cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Broadband speed dropped from 35-40 mb to 3-7 mb

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES
Highlighted
Phfatbob
Sightseer

I am paying for the fibre broadband with a guaranteed speed of 35 mb which was working fine until a week ago when my speed has dropped to less than 10 mb. Currently at 3.

Any ideas on why?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Phfatbob

I assume these are speed test results? These show the overall picture but do nothing to help diagnose the problem.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Phfatbob
Sightseer

DSL synchronisation status: up

Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved

DSL up-time:
0 days 23 hours 32 minutes 2 seconds Restart DSL

Speed test results 

Thank you for submitting your speedtest results. This will aid our technicians if you have an issue.

We recorded your speed as

Download 7386 KBits/s (923.25 KBytes/s)
Upload 11208 KBits/s (1401 KBytes/s)

With the current speed test you could download the following:

Mp3 in 4.33 Seconds
Video in 14.44 Minutes
DVD in 1.20 Hours

Phfatbob
Sightseer

Also, if I reset my router the speed picks up to normal for a short time then drops down again

KeithFrench
Community Star

Your router is sync'd up at 54M. Are these speed tests wired or wireless? If wireless can you a wired test (if you have any wired connections that is) to see how that compares?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Phfatbob
Sightseer

I don't have any wired devices. I'll have to see if I can borrow one. I have reset the router and am currently getting good speeds but it is very jittery. 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

You don't need to borrow one, it was just if you had one you could easily try. I think the most likely this is caused by Wi-Fi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, or DSL-3782 they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633 or the DSL-3782, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Phfatbob
Sightseer

I've done this and the 5g connection is a steady 45 gb speed whereas the other is slow and jittery. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. 👍🏼

KeithFrench
Community Star

So far all that you have done is got what devices you can onto the 5G. This as yet has done nothing to fix the 2.4GHz band. I can help a lot with this if you require it.

Keith