would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband speed getting slower.

44 REPLIES
bribren
Wizz Kid

Hi.

I  have been with TalkTalk for many years and always had a reasonable broadband speed. Used to be around 12 Mbps years ago but has now slowed to 6.9 Mbps.

I have had various routers over the years from TalkTallk and was given a new one, called a "super router" when I renewed my package in January this year.

I was getting between 10 and 11 Mbps but, as I said it is now down to 6.9, it's like as if someone is turning it down every so often.

Nothing has changed in my home, or in my set up, so I don't understand why the speed should be dropping.

It has not dropped overnight, but gone down since January from approx 10 to 9 to 8 to 6.9 Mbps.

When I run a TalkTalkspeed test it tells me,

"The speed to your device is just 6.9 Mbps

We think this is slower than it could be." 

I agree, I think it is a lot slower than it could be.

Can you please tell me if my broadband speed has been turned down periodically since January. If my speed keeps decreasing, I will have to look for another provider. 

Bribren

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi bribren,

You sync speed has dropped since January due to our line management (DLM) moving your to slower profile, probably because of high error count but router seems to be out of sync for long periods - do you switch your router on and off through the day?

Chris

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris, I normally switch the router on about 8-30 in the morning, and it is on till about 11-00 at night. I always switch it off through the night.

Bribren.
Community Team

OK, thanks. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris, no problem with the line, or service.
Community Team

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Thanks

Chris

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris, apologies for the late reply, something came up.

I have 4 telephone sockets around the house all protected by microfilters.

The only things I have connected to the sockets, apart from the router are normal telephones.

Connected to the router I have my laptop (main use), a standard TalkTalk TV box I use occasionally, and a Smart tv. I use my Android smartphone on wi-fi of and on during the day.
I am elderly and at home all day and only use my computer for general surfing etc. I do not play any gaming at all.

I do have a test socket and plugged the router into the test socket, the speed was just the same, 6.9 d/load and 0.8 upload, which according to the TalkTalk instructions should mean there is probably no problem within the house.

As I said before, nothing has changed with my set-up since I joined TalkTalk and for many years before that.

Cheers.

Bribren.

Community Team

Hi Bribren. 

Thanks for the information 

You wont see an immediate improvement in speed at the test socket because your line profile is capping your speed. Are you able to move your router to the test socket again? If you can let us know when you've done this we can restart the DLM optimisation process, this tells DLM to forget everything it knows about your connection and start again

Chris

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris.
The router is now plugged into the test socket again.

Will you let me know when I can remove it, do I need to leave the router switched on through the night?

Cheers.

Brian
Community Team

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that. I've restarted the optimsation process so if possible can you leave your router switched on and connected to the test socket over the weekend. If you bump the thread on Monday we'll check the connection history and see how it's been holding up

Chris

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris.

Ok, will leave it on over the weekend and see what happens by Monday.

Thanks.

Brian.
Community Team

OK, thanks Brian, have a good weekend :)

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris.

Just bumping this thread like you asked.

I kept an eye on the speeds over the weekend and the lowest, with a cable, was 6.9 Mb u/l/ 0.6Mb d/l and the highest 7.9/0.9.

When I used it on wi-fi my speeds dropped dramatically. The lowest speed I got was 0.7/0.6 and the highest speed 1.7/0.8. I don't know why the wi-fi speeds were so low because I normally get very close to the cable speeds when using my laptop on wi-fi. I usually use my laptop connected to a cable.

I noticed that the internet light on the router was showing red through the night with my laptop and phone turned off. Don't Know if this is normal as I always turn my router off at night.

Hope this will kelp you sort out the low speeds I am still getting.

Cheers.

Brian.
Community Team

Hi Brian

Thanks for bumping your thread.

There are still a high number of errors showing on the line. is the router still connected at the test socket?

When you tested with a different router did you also change the adsl cable and microfilter?

Thanks

Debbie

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Debbie.

The router is still in the test socket and has been since Friday.

I have not tested with another router, I do not have one. Nothing in my set up has changed since I had this new router from you in January, just the speeds getting slower as I said.

Cheers.

Brian.
Community Team

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

bribren
Wizz Kid
Hi Debbie

If you think it might help, I don't mind trying anything to get the speeds back to what they were at the beginning of the year.

Thanks

Brian.
Community Team

Hi Brian

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

bribren
Wizz Kid
Thanks Debbie, will do.

Brian.
Community Team