Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed halved

TheBood
Participant
Message 18 of 18

My broadband has halved from 45Mbps to 22Mbps about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I have tested everything, even resorted to using your game-changing Wi-Fi Hub connected directly to my master socket, which was tested by Openreach not so long ago. 

There is a call in progress with support.

Interestingly, my router Asus AC68U is showing a big difference between the Data and Max rate for the Downstream.

If nothing has changed at all my side, then something must have from my house to the network. 

Is is normal to see such a big difference between the Data and the Max rate? 

Screenshot 2021-06-21 150735.jpg

Simon
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

TheBood
Participant
Message 1 of 18

Strange!  My broadband has somehow fixed itself.  Rate restored and SNR dropped from 14 to 6.8 

I've not touched a thing.

It's so frustrating to not have any info from your or openreach, i.e. DLM logs 

Please cancel the engineer visit, as they already fixed it 🙂

Thanks

TheBood_0-1625743103705.png

Simon
0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi TheBood

The engineer visit has been arranged for 09/07 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 3 of 18

Hi TheBood

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 4 of 18

Yes please

Simon
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 18

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, however the connection looks unstable and I can see that the sync speed has dropped. If all testing has already been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 6 of 18

It's happening all over again.  Speed slowly declining.

After the Openreach engineer fixed the problem (wet, corroded connection under the pavement) he said if it rains and get worse, get in touch with Talk Talk.  We've had a lot of rain and I suspect the under pavement junction is full of water, as my water meter is.   

I have been conducting tests with my Router with support from Asus, to rule it out, but nothing, so you may have seen dropouts, where we reset the router. 

My network was running at full speed, as it always used to, post the recent fix by Openreach, so it has to be a fault on the line.  I have conducted a line check which reports nothing - just like it did before - so that's probably wrong.

Here's the latest status of my router's modem stats.  Note the Max Tx Rate was as high as 75000 a week ago, and we were seeing a rock steady 42-45Mbps.  Now it's 25Mpbs.  SNR ratio getting worse, started off at 8dB, now up to 14dB

Oddly, my upstream has improved from 9 to 13.5

Modem Stats for info

TheBood_1-1625642526407.png

Can you check please.  And please don't force me to follow the same old pointless test socket fiasco - that has never made any difference - it's always been a fault outside!

Simon
0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi TheBood

This fault appears to have been assigned to a line engineer this afternoon. 

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi TheBood

I will check on this fault again later this afternoon for any additional updates from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 9 of 18

Many thanks 8

Simon
0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi TheBood

I have passed this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and we should receive further updates from Openreach within the next 48-72hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 11 of 18

Voice is fine, always has been.

I would like to reinstate my router now, since testing both rules out the router. I need it for work. 

Simon
0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds haven't increased. The line test is now detecting a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? If the voice service is ok then please let us know and we can raise this over to Openreach to investigate the broadband issue.

Thanks

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 13 of 18

Update.  To further ensure my network isn't the problem, I have replaced my router with your one (which I don't use, as it doesn't have guest network and other features I rely on).  I have also removed all powerline adapters, as rumours has it they can generate noise that can interfere with broadband.

Since this has probably confused the DLM, as my SNR margin is now at 18dB, please can you rest it?  Assuming that's an option.

I am rather cross, as I have not changed anything my side of the network and some weeks ago the rate simply dropped from a solid 45 to 25 (and getting worse).  Replacing my kit with yours, direct to the test socket and I've seen no improvement.

Plus - for some reason, despite the router being connected, we lost the internet (DNS failures) - in the last half hour.  I rebooted and back up now, but still slow!

DownstreamUpstream
Simon
0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi TheBood

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 21.4mb.

There were a high number of re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed. Was the connection dropping or was the router rebooted?

Please can you connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if the connection remains stable and if DLM starts to increase the speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

TheBood
Participant
Message 15 of 18

Tried everything.  Even tried using TT router directly connected with filter to test socket.

No noise on landline.

I am using the test socket of my 5C master socket (which was replaced not that long ago), but that's pointless, as there are no extension wires added in the blue extension block behind the face plate.

I use an Asus AC68U and have done for a few years now and all my networking needs are met and very stable.  I've been with TT for way longer than that, and every 1 or 2 years, there's a glitch, where speed drops or connection is intermittent.  I then go through the charade of using the test socket, their router, etc (following the script) only for them to change something, such that normal service is resumed.  'They' could be TT or Openreach.  I do know Openreach are working local to me to put in FTTP services up the road, as I stopped and had an informative chat with the engineer.  Interestingly he showed me how the hole in the ground was half full of water and he said, copper don't like that.

Thing is, speed has halved and nothing has changed my side.  

I was just curious about what nominal values would be for the noise ratios, etc.

Cheers

Simon
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 18

Hi

Try the advice from martswain, and also power down the router for 30 minutes to start a new session, and advise if any of this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 17 of 18

@TheBood  your downstream SNR Margin is way too high, the normal target is 6 dB.

Try removing the faceplate from the master socket and then connecting the router to the test socket at the back, a microfilter is needed for this.

Also plug in a handset and test for extraneous noise on the line as that can affect your connection.

If you have extensions, remove any equipment connected there and see if your connection improves.