Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed slows until router restarts

nvasari
Team Player
Message 40 of 40

Hello,

We are having to restart the router almost every day, since the broadband speeds slow down almost to a halt. After the router is restarted, the internet goes back to the nomimal speed, but draws to a crawl again the next day. This happens both with wired and wireless connections, and with only one device connected at a time.

Here are my router status right now:

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 21.08.16.png

And here are the results of a speed test (http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/😞

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 21.08.24.png

Is there any way to sort this out? Browsing the forums it looks like a lot of people have the same issue. Thank you!

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39

Message 1 of 40

Hi Natalia

The router will have been sent back to our warehouse.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 40

Dear Michelle,

Thank you again for your help. I returned the old router yesterday. Is there anyway I can check whether it has been successfully received?

Kind regards,

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 3 of 40

Hi nvasari,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 40

Hi,

The internet has been stable since the connection has been optimised. So I think I can return the old router this week, if that is ok?

Thank you very much!

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 5 of 40

Hi Natalia,

Ok and thanks for the update.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 40

Dear Michelle,

Thank you. Since yesterday morning the internet connection has been stable. When I get back at the end of the month I will get in touch to return a router, then, and let you know if there was any problem meanwhile.

Thank you!

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 7 of 40

Hi Natalia,

Great, thanks for the update.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 40

Hi, Michelle,

Thank you, I will return a router upon my return at the end of the month then.

Since this morning the speeds are fine. I will report back tomorrow evening again.

Thank you,

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 9 of 40

Hi Natalia,

Yes, it would be fine to return one of the routers at the end of the month. I've re-checked the connection stats and although the connection looks stable I can see that the SNR is dropping quite low which can affect the speed and the performance of the connection. I've optimised the connection now and the SNR has increased.

Could you let us know how the connection compares over the next 48hrs.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 40

Hi Michelle,

I was wondering about returning one of the routers -- if I don't do it tomorrow, I am afraid I will only be able to do it at the end of the month, since I will be travelling. Would that be a problem?

The internet becomes unresponsive both in wired and wireless connections.

Here are my speeds right now (the connection is not too bad now):

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 18.31.57.png

Thank you,

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 11 of 40

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for confirming this. Just to confirm, what speeds are you receiving at the moment? When the connection is unresponsive does this affect both wired and wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 40

Dear Michelle,

Yes, we have replaced everything, the cables and the microfilter.

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 13 of 40

Hi Natalia,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, are you using all the new cables and microfilter that came with the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 40

Hi Debbie,

Thank you!

Since we started using the new router, we experienced slow speeds three times. Right now the connection is slow and unresponsive. One of the times during last week we had to restart the router.

(1) Should I send (a) the old or (b) the new router back next week?

(2) It seems the old router is only partially responsible for slow speeds, but the problem has not gone away completely. What could be done now?

Thank you,

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 15 of 40

Hi Natalia

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 40

Hi Debbie,

Thank you very much. We changed the router yesterday evening to allow it to be tested thoroughly in the next couple of weeks. We will return one of the routers then.

Thank you!

Natalia

0 Likes

Message 17 of 40

Hi Natalia

Thanks for keeping us updated.

If you would like to continue to monitor the connection with your current router this will be fine. If the connection remains stable then please can you return the old or new router. You can keep hold of the replacement router for a couple of weeks to make sure your connection is still ok with your current router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 40

We just got the new modem. Thank you very much!

However, in the last couple of days the quality of our connection seems to be stable again. I wonder if we can continue using this first modem, hoping that it will not fail again and keeping the new one to install only if/when we start to have problemas again?

If we cannot do that, that's alright: we'll install the new one as soon as possible and then we'd like to know what we should do with the old one.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 40

Hi Natalia

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 40

Hi, Michelle,

Thank you for your reply. My router is DSL-3782.

I think perhaps it would be useful to test another router now that the problem has come back.

Natalia

0 Likes