Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds not reaching whole flat

bmlr95
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 8

We recently upgraded to Fibre 65 when we moved flat, and while we get good speeds at the front of the property where the router is, we're only getting 20 mb/s at the back where our home office is. 

The router unfortunately cannot be moved as we only have one master socket (or so we were told by the OpenReach engineer). 

Is there a way to get an extender or something to ensure we receive the same speeds at the back of the property please? 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

bmlr95
Popular Poster
Message 1 of 8

Hi TalkTalk Support Team - what is the TalkTalk advice on this?

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

@martswain wrote:

DO NOT use a telephone extension cable, you need to have the filter at the master socket.

Just curious why you say that @martswain 

I installed a secondary phone socket in my Parents' upstairs bedroom many years ago using DIY extension cabling. This was before they had internet so phone was only consideration at the time, but since then they have used the socket for firstly ASDL broadband and currently on a FTTC service and it seems to work fine with no issues. Of course they have the router plugged into the extension socket via a filter and also have their downstairs phone plugged in to the master socket via a filter.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 8

@bmlr95  I can only advise of my experience.

I have found that extending only the broadband side from the filter at the master socket has had absolutely no effect on speeds at which the router connects on both my old ADSL service and now Fibre 35.

My 15m RJ11 cable was less than £10, it's just a longer version of the grey cable supplied with the HUB you have.

DO NOT use a telephone extension cable, you need to have the filter at the master socket.

The other option would be powerline adapters, but you are looking at £40 upwards for LAN connections and more if you want WiFi in your home office.

Forget WiFi extenders, they are not a good solution.

0 Likes

bmlr95
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 8

Thanks - we usually have the router on a table above sofa height. 

We were also told by the OpenReach engineer to avoid long cables as they can reduce the speed. Was this bad advice?

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 8

You can easily use a RJ11 extension cable to enable the router to be moved to a more central location if you don't mind having a cable around your flat.

I have been using a 15m RJ11 cable from the master socket to an upstairs room for many years and it does not reduce the speed at which the router connects to the outside equipment at all.

Also, don't put the router on the floor, it is best to have it much higher up.

bmlr95
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 8

Thanks - it's the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub BlackIMG_0616.jpg

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hi bmlr95

Which router are you using? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes