Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband still not working after engineer's visit

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 40 of 40

We have had months of problems with our broadband. It repeatedly disconnects and connects again, sometimes dozens of times in a day. Sometimes it is off more than it is on.

On 2 September, an Openreach engineer visited. He moved our master socket closer to the point where the telephone wire enters the house, and told us that this would solve the problem. However, I'm afraid that it hasn't solved the problem. The problem has continued; if anything, it's worse than before.

The problem seems to be with the router (which is a TalkTalk router) or the wired connection to it, not with the wifi or the computers. The lights on the router don't stay green; in particular, the INTERNET light often flashes green, or turns red, or goes off altogether.

What can you suggest to solve the problem?

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39

Message 1 of 40

OK thanks, just let us know if you experience any further problems

Chris

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 2 of 40

The Openreach engineer visited yesterday. He found, and fixed, a fault: corrosion on the telegraph pole outside our house.

However, I'm not sure yet that the problem has been solved. Yesterday afternoon, after his visit, there was one outage when the broadband connection dropped for about five minutes. That's the only outage so far, but I'm afraid that it's not a good sign.

We'll see whether things will improve over the next few days. I'll post again to let you know.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 40
0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 4 of 40

Thank you! Yes, I'll let you know.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 40

I've booked the appointment for September 22 2021, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 6 of 40

Thanks for this. The morning of Wednesday 22nd would be good, thank you. If not, any time on Thursday 23rd would also be possible. Please let me know.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 40

Hi jgoodare,

Sorry but the earliest appointment available is Wednesday the 22nd (AM and PM are currently available) - are you available then or later in the week?

Chris

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 8 of 40

Thanks for your reply.
My availability in the coming days:
- Friday 17th (tomorrow): available all day
- Monday 20th: available 2.00 pm onwards
- Tuesday 21st: available 1.00 pm onwards
As to the terms of the engineer's visit, I'm happy to accept the stated terms on the understanding that, as you say, it's unlikely that I will be charged.
I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 40

Hi jgoodare,

Thanks for answering the security questions. The engineer would be an Openreach engineer and we can generally arrange the visit for next working day of the working day after so are you available all day tomorrow and Monday?

Regarding the charges, I think it's unlikely that you would be charged in this scenario but we would need you to accept potential charges as outlined in the help article before we can book the visit

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 40

Have you noticed if the disconnections coincide with any bad weather, especially rain? 

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 11 of 40

Thanks for your message. I'm glad that you're moving forward with arrangements for this engineer visit.

I've read your 'PM' and answered the 'Secure Verification' questions. I hope that's OK. (It's just as well that I know what 'PM' stands for. It took me a while to find the 'PM' on your system, but I got there eventually.)

Now, as to 'Engineer charges'. I went to the page about this, and discovered that there are six different types of charges. I don't know which one you have in mind, though I suspect it's either 'TalkTalk engineer service visit' or 'Openreach visit'.

I'm willing to pay reasonable charges, but I'm afraid that I'm not happy with the phrase 'We'll charge you if our engineer was unable to find a fault with your service during your visit'. You and your colleagues, and one engineer so far, have all been trying for months to fix the problem with my service. There's no doubt that there's a problem somewhere (indeed, I found the connection dropping again even while I was writing this message). It's up to you and your colleagues, therefore, to find the problem. It may take more than one attempt; indeed it already HAS taken more than one attempt. I'm willing to be patient about that, so long as I can see that you're doing your best. But, IF this particular engineer's attempt doesn't succeed, that won't be my fault - and so I don't think I should be charged just because the attempt failed. I'll be grateful for your comments on this.

Finally, as to my availability. I'm often available; indeed, I can usually arrange to be available. But my availability varies from week to week. Which week, or which days, do you have in mind? Give me specific days and times, and I can tell you yes or no.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 40

If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

•  

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

​​​​​​​Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 13 of 40

Yes, do please arrange an engineer's visit. I look forward to hearing more about this.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 40

Hi jgoodare,

Thanks for trying that. I think we are going to need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 15 of 40

Someone has just phoned the landline, so I have more to report:

1. The broadband connection dropped, I'm afraid, and remained off for several minutes.

2. The telephone connection itself was poor. Initially I could hardly hear the person speaking, there was so much crackling and breaking up. I had to ask them to ring back. When they did that, the sound on the line was better, but still not very good.

This was with the microfilter still connected to the test socket. So the problem isn't entirely with the socket.

What can you suggest now?

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 16 of 40

Thank you, ferguson!

OK, so this is what I've done:

1. I disconnected the phone, and dialled the phone number. The connection dropped (i.e. the light on the router flashed red).

2. Leaving the phone disconnected, I reconnected the microfilter to the test socket instead of the standard socket. I dialled the phone number, three times, and the connection stayed steady each time (i.e. the light on the router remained white).

3. I reconnected the phone, leaving the microfilter connected to the test socket. I dialled the phone number, three times, and again the connection stayed steady.

So there may well be a problem with the socket. I can't be completely sure about this, for two reasons:

1. The problem we've had up to now is intermittent. Sometimes, when someone has phoned the landline, the connection has dropped - but not always. Maybe 50% or 75% of the time; we haven't kept count.

2. Once the phone was reconnected (i.e. at stage 3 above), my test 'phone calls' were short; I rang off as soon as the answering machine came on. But the past drops in connection haven't always been instant; sometimes it seems to take a few seconds, or maybe half a minute, between the phone ringing and the connection dropping.

Still, you now have some more data. What can you suggest now?

(I've left the microfilter connected to the test socket for the time being, but presumably it will have to go back to the standard socket eventually.)

Message 17 of 40

Hi jgoodare,

Yes, as ferguson has said, it's to check if calling your landline still causes the router to disconnect even if there is no telephone connected?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 40

Yep, you should still hear the ringtone when calling. 

0 Likes

jgoodare
Team Player
Message 19 of 40

I've been thinking further about this. If I connect the microfilter and the router, and disconnect the phone, then the phone won't respond when I try to ring it. But perhaps my trying to ring it will still affect the broadband in some way? Is that what you're getting at?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 20 of 40

If you don't connect the phone then you clearly won't hear it ringing. Nevertheless the line will still be live, the purpose of this particular test is to see if a disconnection is caused by the simple act of a call being made to your line. Hope that makes sense?

0 Likes