Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband up and down

des09
Problem Solver
Message 42 of 42

My broadband is intermittently cutting out. Although obviously a problem, I can't identify a specific occasion that is bad enough to treat it as a hard fault, as by the time the connection is checked it'll be back online.

While working on tablets it'll indicate the link is down, but recover quick enough after a short while to stop me from rebooting the router.

I have various Alexa devices around the house and it plays havoc with those necessitating reloads to get back working.

Even Alexa is telling me to check my broadband !!

Does TT have the technology to either retrospectively check the performance over the last few days to at least prove the point or to monitor it over the next few days??

Cliddy
0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42
0 Likes

Message 2 of 42

Many thanks, I tried to respond but it wouldn't send for some reason. Anyway I've taken all the advice on board and all is still good. Thanks for help. Cheers Dave

Cliddy
0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Hi des09,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 42

Ok thanks. Will take those options on board. What I will do is leave it in test mode for a while to see if it continues stable then reconnect to standard later to see if fault reappears.

Cheers Dave

Cliddy
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 42

It could just be a faulty faceplate, it happens, if you reconnect it and the issue reoccurs you can source a replacement yourself easily and cheaply. Or, if the socket is hidden away by furniture, it will be fine to leave things connected at the test socket. 

Message 6 of 42

No we have no extension sockets.

It's a fairly straightforward setup. It's new external wiring up to the faceplate, following a previous problem.

Then router located immediately next to it.

Do you want me to reconnect everything now to at least see if problem reoccurs?

I'm going to send you a PM (hopefully) following this.

Cheers Dave

Cliddy
0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. If the connection is stable at the test socket then this would suggest a possible issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line. Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 42

I would say it's been stable, what does that imply ?

Cliddy
0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the connection looks stable since yesterday. How have you found the connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 42

Ok, will do.

Cliddy
0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

Hi des09,

There were some reconnections yesterday but I can't see when they were but there have been no disconnections so far today (since midnight), could you bump the thread again tomorrow and I'll check again

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 42

Recontacting 24 hours later as instructed.

From my perspective it's been an ok 24 hours. But obviously I'm not aware of when it might have gone down and back up while we haven't been using it.

Will be interested in your findings.

Cheers Dave

Cliddy
0 Likes

Message 13 of 42
0 Likes

Message 14 of 42

Ok, will do.

Cliddy
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 42

@des09 No you don't generally need a microfilter because the front plate is supposed to do that job for you. But at the test socket, which is connected directly to the incoming unfiltered phoneline,  you do need a separate microfilter. Connecting this way will help to eliminate any issues with the faceplate itself. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 42

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Please can you post back here in 24hrs and we can re-check the stability to see how this compares at the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

I was going to send this b4 I saw your response. I believe it's still relevant....

Firstly thanks for your patience.

I was just about to get back to you when I had such a brainwave I nearly drowned!!

The connection now called the test slot is in fact just the same slot that the face plate goes into. I was over thinking it, assuming there must be another slot somewhere.

Now my brainwave.

Wherever the slot was going be it was never going to take phone and data. Until I realised there is a micro filter involved !!!!!

I haven't been using micro filters for ages now since being told the connection point is already filtered.

I hope you are not going to tell me that it must have microfilters and could be the problem !!!!!

Anyway I have dug out a filter and connected up as requested.

I still feel a little dumb but not as bad now.

Cliddy

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 42

Here's another piccy:  🙂

phone socket.jpeg

ferguson
Community Star
Message 19 of 42

Don't worry about those wires, they only  apply if you have extensions connected. The socket bang in the middle is the test socket. You first need to plug in a microfilter splitter and then connect your phone and router via that. 

Message 20 of 42

I'm going crazy here, thanks for photo.

Let's take this slowly for my benefit.🤔

Yes, with case off, my box is same except for the 2 wires shown in your picture, which mine doesn't have.

That leaves 2 connection opportunities ???

The first is the connection the front plate goes into.

The second is the point where your 2 wires are showing.

I can't see either of these taking the router and phone connections.

So I'm completely lost.

Cliddy
0 Likes