Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONNECTING ORBI ROUTER TO TALK TALK MODEM

RobertO6
Team Player
Message 21 of 21

My Orbi router connected by ethernet cable to Talk Talk Modem worked well for several years.

I've just replaced the Router (RBK50) .The new one won't connect to my Modem . ORBI have been incredibly helpful - on the phone for nearly 4 hours  with technicians - debugged computer ...reset many times...etc...No change. ORBI tecnician says I should explain this to Talk Talk  ...it's not a new issue....and Talk Talk will change whatever settings are necessary for my modem to "talk" to the new ORBI Router..as they have on previous occasions.

HELP!

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi Keith, Martswain and Gliwmaeden2

I'm back...and thought you might appreciate an update.

The "old" Orbi predictably ceased connection overnight.Having done all the things suggested by the incredible engineers at Orbi  and Netgear (even taking remote control of my computer) the conclusion was it's a Talk Talk router issue - I've ordered one just in case (the wi-fi Hub). Meantime I tried Orbi again having moved the unit further from the router and disconnecting the satellites and a wi-fi plug in case interference was the issue. Same result - "Orbi can't be found". So, reconnected the "old" Orbi again - it's working as before - still  "can't find Orbi" and light continues to pulse indicating trying to find it - but connects to SKY tv and security camera which work well. Finally, disconnected Orbi and linked tv's to Talk Talk wi-fi (HG633).The wi-fi signal is poor/weak but sufficient to just about power the tv a couple of rooms from the router - although dropping out intermittently. This seems to suggest nothing wrong with the TT router (apart from poor range) - perhaps interference.... signal/connection being blocked....? But I'll try the new TT router anyway - probably return the new Orbi - and perhaps join the Netgear Community (if there is one) in case others have had the same issues. I can only hope they are as friendly and helpful as you have been.

Thank you.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 21

Have you considered that the ORBI might be trying to connect to some website or other, as this sounds like normal internet activity? It sounds like the TT router is fine & it is not an ethernet issue at all. I would suggest that you contact ORBI for further information about the meaning of these lights on it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 3 of 21

Thanks, @RobertO6. Glad to hear you're getting some sort of connection..... fingers crossed it holds up!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 4 of 21

@RobertO6  have you disabled the WiFi on the TT router ?

If you have both that and the ORBI radiating your phone may have reverted to connecting to the TT SSID and therefore the APP is not connecting.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

I am so grateful for everyone's suggestions. I have tried them all. Except I haven't yet tried your suggestion of a factory reset of the Talk Talk Router.

Bizarrely, having reinstalled my "old" Orbi  it seems to have come to life...to an extent. The present situation is that it is providing wi-fi to certain items - including a security camera and Sky tv boxes  although the ORBI network connection on the tv's comes and goes.

The ORBI Router continues to pulse white as if it still hasn't connected - and accessing the ORBI App on my i phone and  i pad still indicates "ORBI Not Found"....but strangely it is providing wi-fi at present.

Although a complete mystery to me (and I'm not sure the connection will last) - it might give a clue to the experts as to what's happening and where the problem lies.

Although things are clearly not right, I'm inclined to leave the whole thing over the next day or two in the hope it might settle down.

But any further suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.

Apologies to everyone (particularly Gliwmaeden2) for the use of capital letters. I was not shouting - I simply didn't know the protocol.  

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 21

@RobertO6 , please disable your CAPS lock.

Ignore the ethernet light on the router, you need to PROVE that the LAN ports are working correctly with another device.

If they are not working, first point of call is to reset the router by holding in the reset button or 30 seconds.

You will lose any customisation you have made in the router settings, so if you need to, save the configuration file and reload after the reset.

If they still do not work @KeithFrench or another CS can flag the issue so a staff member can replace the router.

If the LAN ports work, then it is the ORBI configuration that is causing the issue.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

A P.S. ...WHEN I DISCONNECT THE ETHERNET CABLE FROM THE ORBI, THE ETHERNET LIGHT ON THE TT ROUTER GOES OUT - WHICH SEEMS TO INDICATE A GOOD ETHERNET CONNECTION FROM THE ROUTER TO THE ORBI.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 8 of 21

@RobertO6, please stop "shouting"!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

YES - ALL LIGHTS ARE GREEN ON THE TT ROUTER. IT IS SUCCESSFULLY CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THE TT ROUTER'S FLASHING ETHERNET LIGHT INDICATES IT IS SUCCESSFULLY CONNECTED TO THE ORBI ROUTER. THE ORBI HAS POWER - AND IT'S PULSATING LIGHT INDICATES THAT IT IS ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A CONNECTION - BUT FAILS TO DO SO ON EVERY OCCASION.

I'M NOT SURE I HAVE ANOTHER DEVICE TO CONNECT TO THE HG633 PORTS - BUT I'LL CHECK. THANK YOU.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 21

I totally agree with @martswain, do you have another wired device that you could try in each of the LAN ports of the HG633? Whilst it is unlikely that all four ports on this router have died, if they have, the router can be replaced by TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 11 of 21

APOLOGIES MARTSWAIN. I DID REPLY...BUT PERHAPS IT OR I DIDN'T POST..! IT'S HUAWEI HG633 [HARDWARE VERSION H.1.01.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 12 of 21

@RobertO6  is your router connecting successfully to the internet ?

If so, forget the ORBI and connect another device to each of the HG633 LAN ports to check them.

0 Likes

RobertO6
Team Player
Message 13 of 21

It's HUAWEI HG633 (HARDWARE VERSION H.1.01.)

THERE ARE 4 ETHERNET PORTS  ON THE BACK AND 3 PORTS ON THE ORBI ROUTER. I'VE TRIED ALL OF THEM ON BOTH DEVICES - NO CHANGE!

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 14 of 21

@RobertO6  nothing on the "other side" of your router is going to affect why the ORBI devices are not connecting to the LAN ports successfully, so ignore any external issues.

PLEASE, for the 4th time of asking, say the make and model of your router !

If you can connect to the router WiFi SSID successfully, try a wired computer in each LAN port to see if they have failed.

If they are working, then the ORBI device configuration is the issue

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 21

Which make/model of TalkTalk router do you have you tried it in a different Ethernet port in it?

Keith

0 Likes

RobertO6
Team Player
Message 16 of 21

Thank you Keith. I'm way out of my depth.....and your comments are most welcome. I certainly won't go down the "Bridge Mode" approach suggested by Netgear!

The ORBI Router is plugged into an ethernet port on the Talk Talk Router/Modem using an ethernet cable.

It's worked well for over 4 years providing good wi-fi throughot my home. The new/replacement ORBI Router is a straight replacement so it's odd the TT Router won't connect or recognise it. I've reinstalled the "old" ORBI and it too is no longer recognised - which seems to suggest an issue that didn't previously exist. I'm pinning my hopes on the TT report of a fault between the exchange and my home which they say might be causing some issues and the ability of Openreach to fix it over the next few days. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 21

If your TalkTalk modem is connected to the broadband & you were able to put it into bridge mode, you would have no internet access at all, as this disables all routing functions & therefore you cannot get from the router's private IP network to the public one. How is this ORBI product suppose to connect to the router, via a wired (Ethernet) connection or a wireless one?

Keith

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 18 of 21

@RobertO6 there are at least 3 TT routers that are black and have 5 lights.

Please read the label on the back and tell us the EXACT model you have ?

I do not believe your router can be put into BRIDGE MODE.

One of the Community Stars, @KeithFrench may be able to offer further advice on what modes to use on both devices.

However, if your connection is working correctly to your TT router, then staff support for third party internal devices connected to the router is not likely to be forthcoming.

You may get better advice from Netgear/Orbi support forums.

0 Likes

RobertO6
Team Player
Message 19 of 21

Thank you Philosopher. I have a standard Talk Talk Modem (5 green lights) - provided by TT which is connected by ethernet cable to an ORBI Router ((RBK 50) which until now has provided excellent wi-fi coverage throughout my house. The issue now is that a replacement (but later model) RBK 50 simply won't connect. i phone/tablet wi-fi is set to the new ORBI 70 - internet connection is good - but when trying to connect, "ORBI Not Found" is the constant message.

ORBI and Netgear engineers (after 5-6 hours of trying!) say Talk Talk can change settings to something called "Breach Mode" - which should fix the problem.

I haven't been able to speak to a real person at Talk Talk ...so I'm hoping this forum might be able to help

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 20 of 21

TalkTalk do not provide modems as standalone devices.

Openreach provide modems  for Fibre 150 and ONTs for Future Fibre, which then connect to a TT router.

What service do you have from TT and EXACTLY what device are you trying to connect your ORBI router to ?

0 Likes