Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Sonos connection issues

Kevster11
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Hi, I seem to be victim to this common Sonos issue lots of have suffered. Not sure what to do anymore, usual work around is reboot wait 10 minutes and hope for the best. It’s Getting quite irritating, never had this with previous service provider. Worried I’m stuck on this contract for a long time yet my most expensive device as inconsistent connection. For some reason when doing a speed test, the speed to router is good but to the device it is poor. The test is done to my phone in the same room as the router, what can be causing this?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 4

Most issues I have dealt with Sonos speakers is that the models in question only supported the 2.4GHz band & in these cases there was a lot of Wi-Fi interference.

Does your device support both bands & is it running the latest Sonos firmware?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 2 of 4

Hi Kevster11

Is this the only device experiencing this issue?

Have you split the SSID's and connected the Sonos on 2ghz?

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi @Kevster11,

If the speed to your router is good, but the speed to wireless devices is poor, then you may be suffering from Wi-Fi interference (e.g. a neighbour may have a router broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel to yours).

Do you have any 'wired' devices, if so do they get better speeds ?

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.