Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusedaboutnew superrouter

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 108 of 108

On Wednesday, out of the blue, I received a text from TalkTalk saying I had a new router on its way and that I should install it as soon as I received it. More details were to follow via an email and a letter.

An email arrived at about the same time to say my account had been reviewed and that my existing router was old (it is!) and at risk of becoming incompatible with anticipated improvements to my line and,  presumably,  my broadband service. TalkTalk would be sending me a new router, complete with setup instructions, and all I would have to do would be to install it on arrival and return the old router in the returns bag to be provided.

I have yet to see the letter but my new D-Link DSL-3782/TT super router arrived yesterday in a box which indicated a paper start up guide was included. There is no detailed start up guide in the box, just a speedy set up guide printed on the inside lid and this only takes me as far as connecting the router to the main landline socket.

My question concerns what I might have to do once I attempt to connect a device to the wireless network associated with the router. I have in the past received at least one new router already programmed with my phone number and various settings applicable to my Lineone account. Can I assume that this will be the case here,  or will I still be missing essential information? I don't, for example,  have any information on how to log in to the router if I do need to change anything.  At the same time,  It's been a good seven or eight years since I last logged in to a router and I'm in no hurry to revisit that experience.

I note that the router delivery note does say 'Once you get your new router,  just plug it in and we will do the rest.' Maybe, I should just take that literally and hope for the best but I'm not convinced I'm that brave any more.

There is also no returns bag included with the new router though there is a paragraph on the back of the delivery note suggesting I can dispose of the old one at a local recycling centre instead if I wish.

I think I'll wait till Monday and see if a letter turns up and throws any extra light on things. I just hope Talktalk aren't in too great a hurry and "improve' my line before I'm ready.

Meanwhile, any comments or advice will be gratefully received.

johno
0 Likes
107 REPLIES 107

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 108

Down/Upload speeds as measured by my WiFi hub are now 47.34/11.72 Mbps. That's good; they're still slowly improving.  Meanwhile,  I received an email from TalkTalk today with the promotional code I'm supposed to use to obtain my free Amazon Echo Dot and smart plug for taking out a Fibre 65 subscription. The promotional code was flagged as not valid when I tried to use it as instructed in the email. That's not so good. 

johno

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 108

On,  thanks,  I can live with that. Only time will tell whether my 10 year old grandson will agree when he visits next. 

johno
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 108

It's exactly the same system, the higher speeds are only as fast as your line can support, largely down to the length and quality of the line from the cabinet to your home. 

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 108

OK,  it's still a lot more than I started with. Out of interest, though, would the Openreach engineers make the same line changes for Fibre 65 as for Fibre 35 for someone coming from ADSL?

johno
0 Likes

Message 5 of 108

Hi

Sync speed is showing at 44.7mb now, and the profile is correctly set at 80/20.

It may creep up a little higher over time, but reallistically I don't think the line will achieve much more.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 108

Not seen any fresh advice yet. My speeds are now around the 45/11.5Mbps mark according to the hub, which is presumably more accurate than the Talktalk online speed test, which shows roughly 10% lower figures. The improvement over Fibre 35 seems disappointing but I do now have much faster speeds than I had with my original Simply Broadband plan.  Quite a bit cheaper too,  so I'm not complaining; just yearning for a 5Mbps or so faster download speed.

johno
0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 108
  • Don't worry. I'm watching this space intently. You have a good weekend too.
johno

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 108

OK, well those figures definitely indicate that you are on Fibre 65, otherwise they would not be above 40 and 10 respectively.

Have a nice weekend and let us see what the support team advise next.  🙂

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 108

Yes, I had to log in to reset the network name.  Download 41.68Mbps

Upload 11.45Mbps

I'm thinking the first figure is above the guaranteed minimum Fibre 65 speed and the second is about 30% better than Fibre 35 gave me. On the other hand, when I ordered 65 I was advised Openreach would be in touch before they connected me. They haven't but that's possibly because the system hadn't registered I was on Fibre 35 yet. I'm guessing 

johno
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 108

@durdle Do you know how to login to the router? There will be a tiny password printed on the label on the back, underneath the removable tab with the wireless details. Once you have done that let us know what the connection numbers there show.

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 108

New WiFi Hub Black set up and working.  Download speeds are about 1 or 2 Mbps above what I was getting with Fibre 35; not sure at this point whether Fibre 65 has yet to kick in or this is all I can expect.

johno
0 Likes

Message 12 of 108

No problem.

You are doing nothing wrong we have a fault with replying to PMs at the moment, the vendors are investigating.

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 108

Thank you for the update and for adjusting my billing. I'll install the new router later today. Meanwhile,  I'm still hazy about how to get the pm facility working here. Regards

johno
0 Likes

Message 14 of 108

Hi @durdle 

You can install the router whenever you are ready, the 3782 is still compatible and the speed should increase. 

The agreed discount has also been applied to your account today. 

Regards

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 15 of 108

Arne-TalkTalk has sent me another pm and I'm happy with what he says but I still can't pm him back to tell him. If you can,  please thank him for me. The only thing now is that my Wi-Fi Hub Black has been delivered and my account says I'm on Fibre 65 but I haven't noticed anything saying I can go ahead and install it. My download speed appears to be about 38Mbps today with the DSL 3782 router, which is only just over what it was when I went for Fibre 65, so I'll hang fire for a while and see what happens next.

johno
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 108

OK, I will re-escalate and ask the team to check and enable if necessary, although there have been a few glitches with PMs recently. 

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 17 of 108

Point taken. Meanwhile,  Arne-TalkTalk pm'd me yesterday asking for verification details, which I subsequently sent. I then tried to reply to his pm to let him know I had but was thwarted by the absence of a send button. It now seems I don't have pm available to me and I can't find anywhere to turn it on. I'm guessing someone at the TalkTalk end needs to tweak something first or, maybe, just tell me how I can do it. 

johno
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 108

While Arne is helping with the billing side, I might just add that it is not recommended to have more than one security product at a time active on any device. So if you are happy with Norton then stick to it. Otherwise you would have to uninstall it first for SuperSafe to work effectively. 

Message 19 of 108

Hi @durdle

I have checked your usage and I can help with this 

I first need to confirm some security questions. 

I have sent you a PM on the community. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 20 of 108
0 Likes