Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connection not private - Server certificate not trusted

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
First Timer

Is anyone else having issues with connecting to websites, whereas it is stating the server certificate is not trusted? (even when trying to connect to the talktalk site). I am constantly getting the following message:Screen shot 2020-07-23 at 19.14.55.png

On trying to speak with a technical support agent at TalkTalk, I have been cut off 3 times and it does not seem they know what they are talking about?!

On further investigation into why the certificate is not trusted, it states this:Screen shot 2020-07-23 at 19.35.17.png

Anyone have any idea's or answers?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @TJamesM ,

Sorry for checking the obvious, but is the time and date correct on your computer ?

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi @Skynet_TX 

i can confirm it is correct, first thing I checked

Highlighted
Community Star

@TJamesM ,

This might have some interesting info : https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/221297/this-certificate-was-signed-by-an-untrusted-issuer-...

Disclaimer : I know nothing about Apple products, so I don't know if the above will help or if it is a sensible / safe thing to try, but might be something worth at least having a look at for your top level USERTrust certificate.

Presumably where that article says to look for the 'Entrust' certificate, in your case you would want to check for the 'USERTrust' certificate

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi TJamesM,

Does this happen on more than 1 device?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer
No just my desktop Mac
Highlighted

Hi TJamesM,

Ok thanks for confirming. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

No sorry, I can't help with Apple products as I do not have any. Try @ferguson as he has MACs etc.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted

Hi TJamesM,

Have you tried clearing the browser (cookies and cache)? Have you also tried a different browser?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Yes, I have tried both as well as ensuring the date and time is correct

Highlighted

Hi TJamesM,

The security certificate for the TalkTalk site is valid until 2021. We've also tried to replicate this on a imac we have here and we don't see this error message. If it works ok on different devices then it suggests a possible issue specific to this device.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

As a Mac user I am not getting this issue. 

@TJamesM Which version of macOS are you using?

Highlighted
First Timer

Highlighted
Community Star

Whoa, that's a bit old! Perhaps that's the problem?

Highlighted
First Timer

It’s what I thought, but just seeing if it is for sure, as all other websites I go into (for example the BBC) are fine

Highlighted
Community Star

Hmm, no real idea then I'm afraid. Does does this occur across multiple browsers? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Did you check the 'Keychain Access' application to see if there were any 'Root Certification Authority' certificates that had recently expired on your system that are related to that chain of certificates shown in your screenshot ?

Highlighted
First Timer

From what I can see, no certificates have expired