Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connection problem

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Team Player

I can connect to the internet by WiFi with my Laptop and Mobile, but not with my wired Desktop. A service status test was run and showed no problems, and I getting my download speed of 40 Mb. I run a couple of tests from my Laptop and it was 11.18 & 9.53 Download and 22.12 & 19.25 up-load, is that anything to do with WiFi and Laptop? with those results. So what I would like to know, is the problem with my desktop or the Broadband supply. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi blue well, what version of Windows are you running on the desktop. It will be worthwhile checking that your Ethernet adapter drivers are up to date. Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please. 0345 172 0046 working Lo
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home 1903, I cannot check on Drivers as no connection. As I can connect via WiFi with my Laptop, I have ordered a WiFi adapter for the desktop. I thought I would see if I could connect by hard wire with my Laptop, and I cannot, so it looks like it could be a possible problem with the router.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

If you have a device connected via ethernet cable to the router and that is working, try connecting the desktop using the same cable to the same known working port on the router.

If this still fails it could be an issue with the network adapter on the desktop.  Does it show any connection errors in the system tray ?

If you look at the adapter under Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters, does the device look to be working with no exclamation marks etc against the device.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Team Player

The problem is I do not have devices that are connecting to the internet with a Ethernet cable.

My Laptop is connecting to the internet by WiFi, but not by a Ethernet cable.

As my Desktop only uses a Ethernet cable, and not WiFi, first thing I tried was changing the Ethernet cable, and checking for any problem on my Desktop, so it still looks like it could be a problem with the router.

I cannot access the router by either WiFi or cable.

Just done a speed test  14.00 hours,  Download 8.37Mb upload 20.37 Mb, I don`t know if that indicates anything

Highlighted

Hi

You do have a TV box that is connecting to the internet successfully via an ethernet cable. 

If you connect your desktop using the cable from the TV box does this work or show any network connection etc?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Still cannot connect using the Ethernet cable to the TV, it`s only by WiFi that I can connect. 

Hi

As you have used the ethernet cable from the TV, we can now rule out a faulty cable, and port on the router as the TV is working and connecting through this, so this would then point to an issue on the Desktop itself or with the ethernet adapter in the desktop.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

So that means I have the same problem with my laptop as I cannot connect via Ethernet cable to the internet?

Highlighted

Hi

If a device using the ethernet cable can connect to he internet correctly, such as the TV box etc, then that would indicate that the router and cable are in good working order.  

If you are unable to connect the laptop via ethernet (with the wifi turned off on the laptop) then there could be an adapter or firewall issue etc.

Are there any notifications showing in the system tray to indicate why this is not connecting ?

If you look in the control panel under Device Manager, does this show the network adapters are working correctly ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

Well I have just booted up my desktop since yesterday, and all back to working through the  Ethernet cable, I could not find problems, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it keeps going. Thanks for all your help. 

Highlighted

Hi bluewell3,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks