cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

D-Link DSL-3782 router won't connect to PPTP Virtual Private Network (VPN)

17 REPLIES
Highlighted
David84
Chatterbox

Hello, im having the same problem as another user in that I am unable to connect to a PPTP VPN with my DSL-3782 router. I am on a home network with a dynamic IP address - would a different router (i.e. an HG633) fix the problem?

Thanks

David

Community Team

Hi David

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie, that's my profile updated.
Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi David

Thank you. Just to confirm, which VPN client are you using?

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie, it's a PPTP one.
Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi David

Thank you for your reply.

I've raised this over to our Products Team for investigation. I have also ordered a replacement router HG633 for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie, that's great thanks v much - I am picking up the router today and will feed back.
Regards
David
Community Team

Hi David

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sending the router - it works perfectly with the VPN.

Please note I was told earlier by talktalk help chat that the dynamic IP address would be a problem no matter what router I had, and I would have to get a business account to get a static IP address - quite a surprising lack of assistance compared to yourselves in this forum.

Many thanks,

David

Community Team
David84
Chatterbox
Debbie, yes - apologies for delay will send it back tonight.
Thanks,
David
Community Team

Hi David

It's no problem. I was just wondering if you had time to complete a quick check with the DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie, can do - is it about accessing the VPN as I will need to take my work laptop home and do it this evening.
Regards
David
Community Team

Hi David

Yes please. Another customer was experiencing the same issue and tried the following steps. Could you try the below and we can let our Products Team know your findings?

I've managed to resolve this but the only way of doing so was to change our routing DNS servers from our standard ones to the Google public DNS'. 

Thanks

Debbie

David84
Chatterbox
Hi Debbie, I'm afraid I'm not that Tech savvy ;-) are the steps to 'change our DNS routing to Google public DNS'?

If so and that's something I do at home at local to my router, how to do that? If it's actually relating to my company's IT system in afraid I don't have the authority to all them to change things sorry.
Regards
David

Community Team
Aldridge Andy
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Debbie

Hi Debbie, just a little note, currently with the 3782 you cant change the DNS entries they are fixed to TalkTalk unlike the HG633.

Any ideas when the next firmware is to be relased to resolve this?  :)

Community Team

Hi

We have fed back to our devices teams that there is no option to manually change the DNS settings in the 3782.

This should be rectified in the next firmware but as yet we have been given no timescale for any deployment.

Thanks

Karl.