Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG8041W router dropping out

Trodge
Team Player
Message 29 of 29

Hi,

I had a router 'upgrade' on Monday to the latest black one (DG8041W) but it is unstable. My old router stayed on line for days and weeks at a time, but this one is continually dropping out it hasn't managed more than a few hours without dropping out. I know they need time to adjust to the network conditions but the old one was never like this even when first installed. Both I and my son work from home and need this to be stable. Has anyone else had problems with these new routers?

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Hello,

Ok thank you for the update and please let us know how the connection compares with the Sagemcom router over the next few days.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 29

Hi Debbie,

Just letting you know that I’ve given up on the DG8041W . It would not stay connected for more than a few hours, however the Sagemcom has now been stable for a couple of days. Which begs the question, was the DG8041W faulty, or is the Sagemcom more tolerant of whatever was upsetting the DG8041W on the line? 

I’ve not actually worked from home on the Sagemcom yet, so I’ll have to reserve judgment 

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29

Hi Andy

Planned maintenance will show here 

Thanks

Message 4 of 29

Thanks Karl,

There has to be some other means of diagnosing this problem. I have been told twice now over the phone that there is planned maintenance in the exchange that could be affecting my line, but you guys on the forum have never mentioned this. Are you unaware of this or was I being fobbed off with an excuse by the call centre?

What checks and tests specifically have been performed on my line please? Are there any other tests that could be done by another department maybe?

I honestly think it would be a waste of time for another engineer to come here but if that is the only option let’s do it. They did a TDR test last time and  it was clear back to the cabinet which is only 500m away.

kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 5 of 29

Hi

we are unable to interrogate the router logs. If multiple routers have been tested and the connection still drops, the only option we have is to arrange an openreach engineer for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 29

Hi Karl,

Do you mean an engineer that would call at my house?

If so, I don’t see the point (although I would still agree if no other options are available). I have had lots of engineers come here and no one ever finds a fault at the house.  The last one was only a month or so ago. Incidentally, I am still connected directly in the test socket at the master to eliminate any extension connection problems.

I would love it if someone could interrogate the router logs or use some other technical expertise to find the cause instead of going through the same rigmarole of sending an openreach engineer. Incidentally the connection dropped again whilst writing this post.

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 7 of 29

Hi

All tests are clear, no loop fault detected currently.

If 2 routers have been tested and the connection continues to drop then the only option is to progress to an engineer.

Would you like to arrange this now ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 29

Hi,

Please can someone get to the bottom of this ?

Im trying to work from home but getting continual drop outs. Sometimes the router stays connected but the vpn drops out and other times the router drops out ( and obviously the vpn).

It has dropped 7 times since 05:30 according to the vpn log and it’s only now coming up to 11am.

Isn’t there a log within the router that will identify the reason for dropping out?

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Hi,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Message 10 of 29

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sending the Sagemcom router. This also drops out but not as much as the DG8041. I spent an hour on the phone with someone that was clueless , running through a checklist asking irrelevant questions. I eventually got someone to to check the line and they said there was a loop fault at Failsworth exchange. This agrees with what Karl said he had seen on my line and they said that other ISP’s were having a similar problem at the exchange. Although the Sagemcom router is more stable, it is not connecting to my devices , despite having the same SSID and WiFi password, so I have re-installed the DSG8041 at the test socket . Hopefully when the exchange fault is rectified it will improve. At the moment it has been up for 17 hours. Fingers crossed. 

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 29

They are unlikely to follow up before Monday now, @Trodge, as staff don't usually work weekends. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 12 of 29

Hi Karl,

I just wasted an hour of my life on the phone with a TalkTalk employee running through a checklist asking irrelevant questions about my faulty line.

Would you be able to help please? I have now had the router plugged directly in to my test socket for the last 48 hours as you suggested and I’m still having drop outs . 
Could you check my line again with this arrangement please?

Are you able to perform any other checks to narrow down the underlying problem?

kind regards.

Andy

0 Likes

Message 13 of 29

Hi Andy

I've ordered a Sagemcom WIFI hub for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 29

Hi Michelle

Yes please.

I have looked at my vpn log and there have been 10 dropouts today. The router itself has not dropped out 10 times though ( maybe twice) but the vpn has. Isn’t there some tweak with profiles that the technicians do for dodgy connections ?

kind regards 

Andy

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

Hi,

I can send a Sagemcom router and a router returns bag to test with?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 29

Thanks Michelle, 

I’m working from home at the moment and it’s dropped out 4 times  already this morning which is unacceptable. I will try to run it as you ask when I finish today. I have to go into work tomorrow but my son is still working from home. It was working well with the sagemcom router and I’m sorry I ‘upgraded’ now. Is one of those being sent?

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

Morning,

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 24hrs to see how the stability compares and to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Hi Karl,

Thanks and sorry for the delayed response as I’ve been away for a couple of days.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve reported a crackling line at this address and every time someone shows up and finds nothing. The last visit just 3 weeks ago, they said the cover on top of the pole was letting in water, which made sense as it seems to be weather related, however just lately ( since this repair) the line seems to have been crackle free. I haven’t tried going directly in the test socket, as our work related computers are on Ethernet cables wired to the box room and I don’t have a long enough dsl cable to reach from the master (test) socket. 

Thanks Andy

0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Hi

I'm detecting a loop fault that could cause the disconnections.

Do you have a 'Test Socket' ?   If you do, connect the router with a filter directly to this to see if it is more stable.

Also, check the home phone and make sure there is a clear dial tone with no noise on the line.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Trodge
Team Player
Message 20 of 29

The router was replaced in response to an email from Talktalk saying I was eligible for a new one which I unfortunately accepted. If you could send another sagemcom fast 5634 in case this one doesn’t improve I’d appreciate it thanks. 

0 Likes