Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS name resolution failure - dozens per day

Antony9
Popular Poster
Message 25 of 25

Hi there, 

I connect to a VPN for work purposes and am suffering broadband dropouts, which ends up crashing my software (my work software calls it "packer server errors" in an error box which pops up). So I looked in the router logs for the TalkTalk WifiHub, and have dozens and dozens of "DNS name resolution failures" through the day every day.

Could this be causing the dropouts? If so, what can be done? Have already phoned TalkTalk and they did a line check which confirmed everything is fine but offered no more resolution.

Thanks

Antony 

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi Antony9

Apologies for this.

The firmware is still in testing for the Sagemcom hub, we don't have a date for when this will be rolled out at the moment.

To discuss a cancellation you would need to contact our Loyalty Team by phone.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

A couple of months on, and despite a new Sagemcom Router, am still suffering from packet server errors and dropouts. At what point can I cancel my service and not incur a charge? The errors on my work software log read as follows...

•  
0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi Antony9

I will send you a Private Message (hopefully later this morning) once I have some further information from our Products Team.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 25

I appreciate the communications on this board (miles better than the hours I spent with your call centre staff), but I still don't quite understand.
The router is quite evidently faulty - that much is clear from all the messages on this board about DNS errors. It is something TalkTalk are aware of. You'll happily ship out routers to others but because I'm apparently on some other plan/package (which nobody has really explained what that means), there is a reluctance to replace a faulty part of my equipment. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi Antony9,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience, we'll let you know when we have an update

Chris

Message 6 of 25

Cheers @Divsec - will wait for @Debbie-TalkTalk to get back to me. I don't want to spent money when I don't really need to (or shouldn't have to, frankly! The problem is clearly with the router they are giving to customers). 

Message 7 of 25

Hi @Antony9 there is no problem with using a third party router. A few things to be sure about. First make sure you go for a modem/router, adsl and vdsl compatible with WiFi.

New from the online boys will be between £100 and £200.

If you go down this route there is no guarantee it will solve your issue but every chance it will. Please don't bin the TT router they may well want it back one day and helps if you have other issues which can be remotely diagnosed.

If you would like any suggestions, without liability, happy to help. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk - I am prepared to change plans/packages (or if you let me know what the make of router it is, I'll buy the thing myself), I just need to be able to work properly. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Hi Antony9

For specific plans/packages we can only send the Sagemcom router, apologies for this.

I will let you know as soon as I receive further information from our Products Team.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi @Divsec - tempting! But to be honest, I just need a router that works properly. There's evidently a problem with the Sagemcom and DNS dropouts so not entirely sure why they won't swap it.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi @Antony9 why not check out what a business account can offer? 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Thanks Debbie. I'm not sure why my package doesn't include the ability to have a router swapped if it's not working but other people with the same problem does. I am more than willing to upgrade my package if required. Please let me know.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi Antony9

I've contacted our Products Team in regards to this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk - I'm afraid waiting for an indeterminate amount of time won't work and isn't what I pay for. Your router simply doesn't work.
My job relies on a stable connection. It is impossible for me to do my job otherwise. As TalkTalk are not giving me this, what are my options, please? I assume I would be able to leave Talktalk without any penalties?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi Antony9,

I'm sorry, we can't send a different make and model of router, as your service specifically specifies the Sagemcom router.

We do have new firmware coming soon for the Sagemcom router which should resolve this issue. I don't have any specific dates as yet.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

I tried leaving the router off overnight. Turned on this morning and still having dropouts and DNS errors (as show in the log below). To confirm, this is on a SAGEMCOM Fast 5364-3.T8 hub.

Thanks. 

Antony9_0-1618987635178.png

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hi there. Thanks for you reply. I did as asked but still a string of errors in my router logs and periodic dropouts when connected to my VPN. Could you let me know what I can do? Also, other threads offer a replacement Huawei hub for this problem. Could you let me know how I can upgrade my package, if required, and get this sorted? 

Antony9_0-1618945061574.png

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Hi @Antony9 I can see that the pros are trying to help and I will stay out of their way but it is possible that your employer vpn causing the issue with the sites you wish to connect to being on their blacklist? 

Message 19 of 25

Hi Antony9,

I'm sorry, we can't send a different make and model of router, as your service specifically specifies the Sagemcom

Could you switch the modem and router off, leave them off for at least 30 minutes then switch first the modem back on then the router a couple of minutes later, then retest 

Thanks

Chris

Message 20 of 25

I see other people with Sagemcom routers (Which I have) have had similar problems and this is a known TalkTalk problem with the router. Am I able to try another router, please?

0 Likes