would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DSL 3780 - VPN has stopped working

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi

I have had a DSL-3780 for years, and until last friday (13th - there's irony) working from home using a VPN was fine.

Since lunchtime last friday I can't get on VPN at all.

Would be really grateful for some help, please

Thanks in advance

GK

hoping for an easy life, but sh1t keeps happening
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi giddykipper

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I can send you a replacement router and a returns bag, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes please Debbie, would you do that.

thanks,

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Chris

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie, my IT support use anydesk, please can you arrange for this to be enabled?

Highlighted

Hi Chris

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie, the router has arrived and today I installed it.  There were some practical reasons that meant it had to wait until the weekend.

There is a noticeable improvement in internet performance, which is great -thank you. The old router is bagged and ready to be dropped off for collection by Hermes.

I can now access the VPN/work network if I am connected wirelessly to the router. 

As it happened, from doing a bit of research, one thing that helped in the last week with the old router is cmd: ipconfig/ dnsflush. This got me onto the VPN/work network with a wireless connection to the old router.

However, strangely (as was the case with the old router) if I am connected via the LAN cable, while the computer seems to show I can access VPN, I am unable to access the work network.  VPN status reports IPv6 connectivity: no network access.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks, GK

Highlighted

Hi giddykipper

Apologies for the delay.

I have updated your router firmware version, please can you test this again and let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

thanks for trying, same outcome: able to connect to VPN through wireless but not when on LAN with a wired connection.

A thought occurrs: the laptop is connected via a LAN switch.  Could this be the cause of the problem? (I will test this tonight).

Cheers

GK

Highlighted

Hi giddykipper

Thanks for your reply.

It would be worth testing this. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Little better.  need to flush the DNS cache to get VPN to work on a wireless connection. If I connect via the LAN, even without the switch no luck.

The comment is IPv6  is not connecting.

Cheers

GK

Highlighted

Hi giddykipper,

Do you have any issues in general with devices connected by Ethernet cable (other than the VPN issue)?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

All other devices connected by Ethernet cable work fine, and I can access the internet on my laptop when connected to the Ethernet cable. Just not the VPN. Which, referring to the top of the chain, used to work fine.

CHeers,

Chris

Highlighted

Hi giddykipper,

Thanks for the update. We're not aware of any issues with VPN and the HG635 router. Would you like to test a 3782 router instead?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle, we might as well, yes please.

I have found through testing that ipconfig /flushdns allows me to connect to VPN if on WAN, does this provide any clues/other options to try?

Cheers

CHris

Highlighted

Hi

Can you log in to the router and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8  &  8.8.4.4

See if this gives more stability to the VPN Connection.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Karl, 

please can I check:

You want me to change

- the primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and

- the secondary DNS server to 8.8.4.4

just so I'm sure

thanks,

CHris

Highlighted

Hi Chris

That's correct, this is googles DNS.

Some VPN services may work better when connected if using a different DNS, so it does not hurt to try 🙂

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES