cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Desperately seeking a way round the DHCP problems with the 'Super fast' Sagecom router ?????

ANSWERED
KeithFrench
Community Star

I can't remember, as there have been so many posts since my last one, however, the way around the external IP address changing is to use a DDNS provider, are you doing this & if so have you proved with something like a DIG tool that it is actually working?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

PaulM47
Team Player

digitalham, thanks for your comments. Yes I'm aware of AnyDesk, TeamViewer and the like. I shouldn't have to use a third party to get around the deficiencies in the Talk Talk Router. I have a BT hub here, which, like the Talk Talk router, is also Sagecom hardware, and it works perfectly with an identical VPN working in the opposite direction.

Regards

PaulM

PaulM47
Team Player

Keith, thanks for your comment. Yes I'm using the Dynu.com DDNS server. I have two VPN servers, one here and one at my daughters house. They are identical and both use DDclient to keep the Dynu.com DDNS up to date. The connection from here to my daughters fails every time her external IP address changes, the connection from my daughters to here has never yet failed. The only difference is the ISP and router, I have a BT hub, she has a Talk Talk router. Both use Sagecom hardware with custom firmware. The BT hub is 100% reliable, as is the admin interface, the Talk Talk router has (had) a multitude of problems and the admin interface appears to be unreliable. The comparison between the two essentially identical network paths is difficult to ignore !!

PaulM

Community Team

Hi PaulM47

Apologies for the delay.

I've chased for an update from our Products Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi PaulM47

Our Products Team have advised that they are carrying out further testing following your feedback.

Thanks

Debbie

PaulM47
Team Player

Thanks Debbie.

The failure I'm seeing following an external IP address change is a little odd. When I checked my Dynu.com account this morning it showed the external IP address had changed at 02:48:58 this morning, I assume CA time where Dynu.com are based, ~10:48 GMT. At the time I checked the account I still had access to the VPN, even though Dynu.com showed the external IP address had already changed. Now, ~5:00pm GMT, I've lost access again. I'm not sure of the exact timing, but it looks as if loss of access to the VPN doesn't happen as soon as the external IP address changes, but a short time afterwards. The only way to restore access to the VPN is to reset the TT router again 😞

Are there any log files stored in the router that may shed some light on this problem ?

Regards

PaulM

PaulM47
Team Player

Just as a matter of interest, we're seeing ~15Mbps download and ~0.9Mbs upload speeds at present. Do any of your broadband packages have less of a discrepancy between download and upload speeds ? I realise ADSL is Asynchronous DSL, but at present the 0.9Mbps upload speed is causing me some major problems using the VPN 😞 

Regards

PaulM

PaulM47
Team Player
Sorry, should have said Asymmetric DSL, not Asynchronous DSL.
PaulM
PaulM47
Team Player
I've confirmed my previous comment regarding the port forwarding problem is correct. ~18:00 today Dynu.com showed a change of external IP address. At that time I had access to the VPN by connecting both using the DNS name and by direct IP address. Now, ~22:45, I've lost access again. Dynu.com still shows the same IP address. The failure doesn't occur when the external IP address changes, but some time later. I have no doubt if I get the router reset tomorrow morning it will restore access !!

Regards
PaulM
Community Team

Hi PaulM47

Apologies, I don't have any further information at the moment.

As soon as I receive additional information from our Products Team then I will post back on this thread.

Thanks

Debbie