Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disconnecting Broadband - Coming to forums after 9th Customer Service Attempt

9 REPLIES 9
HeronimusInk
First Timer

Hello there, TalkTalk forums:

-

I am experiencing – and have been experiencing – continual problems with my Broadband connection intermittently disconnecting at random intervals. This mostly happens when there's increased traffic (streaming YouTube videos) or when two computers are connected, but might as well happen during the lightest use of the internet.

As I've now lost count of how many times I've reached out to Customer Service either by phone or e-mail (I think we're up to nine attempts now) – and gone through the same questions again and again – I feel forced to come here and seek help.

Before we progress, the following points need to be made:

• This problem has persisted for more than a month.

• We've had the Router replaced once.

• We've had a technician come to our address, where he ascertained that the problem was in wiring 70 feet away from our residence, across an adjoining street. We were given notice that the problem was fixed then, and the internet worked well for four days before it's again begun to do exactly the same thing.

• The internet will, as mentioned, cut out intermittently regardless of the amount of traffic or amount of devices using it.

Also:

• We are currently not interested in upgrading to the Fibre Package – a question that has been asked every single time I've reached out to you – as we do not feel sufficiently confident paying TalkTalk more money if they cannot provide the service we're already paying for.

I am aware that Fibre is a better technology, but due to budget restrains, we aren't interested in upping our subscription costs; also, again, if we buy a service and that service isn't provided, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I must assume, of course, that the Customer is NOT made responsible for repairs to copper wires if they themselves haven't been responsible for installing them or in any other way tampered with them, and my most recent conversation with one of the Customer Service agents confirmed that it wasn't my responsibility either.

I believe I have been the spitting image of patience in regards to this, but must admit that it's begun to wear a bit thin. The forums are – essentially – my last hope. Should this not pan out, we'll have no option than to consider another ISP's products going forward. But I hope this won't be the case.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I've still faith that this all boils down to some misunderstandings.

Community Team

Hi HeronimusInk

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

Is your landline service working ok when making calls? (any noise)

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

HeronimusInk
First Timer

Hello there, Debbie, and thank you for picking up on this:

-

We don't use Landline phones in our residence; we only use mobile phones, I'm afraid, so I can't give you an answer to the first part.

Otherwise, I've inserted the Broadband into its sockets as per the manuals instructions. 

Community Team

Hi HeronimusInk

Thanks for your reply.

If you are experiencing a fault with the landline service then this can affect the BB connection and has to be investigated first.

Would it be possible to borrow a phone for testing purposes to check if you have a dialtone and if there is any noise on the line?

Thanks

Debbie

HeronimusInk
First Timer

I will see what I can do!

Community Team

Hi HeronimusInk

Thank you. If you do have a landline fault then we will need to raise this to our Network Team.

Please can you test with the phone at the test socket, with the router removed from the line. Your guide to master sockets

Debbie

HeronimusInk
First Timer

Hello again, Debbie:

-

As it stands, we're actually not able to find a landline phone we can borrow for this occasion. Is there anyway we could proceed without this part?

iamisaid
Super Duper Contributor

Although it may seem harsh on you to provide something that you are finding difficult to obtain from friends/neighbors may I suggest you purchase one from Argos or Currys  at a cost of approximately £7.00. By checking at the test socket of the BT outlet you can rule out internal problems and whether you have a noisy line which is impacting your broadband.

HeronimusInk
First Timer

Hello, IamISaid:

-

Yes. That is in fact a bit harsh on me - as a point of principle.

Shelling out 7 quid for a purchase of a thing we'll never use - particularly after what I must assume was a professional technician was over to do a full check-up and didn't highlight the phone-sockets as the problem - seems, in my humble opinion, very weird.

I would really hope Debbie can provide an alternative before I move one way or another.

Community Team

Hi HeronimusInk

We would need to confirm if you do have a landline fault. As you mentioned that the BB fault has been ongoing then this may be linked to a landline fault.

Did the previous engineers check the landline when they attended?

Thanks

Debbie