Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disruptive internet

27 REPLIES
Highlighted
BenJackson
Wizz Kid

Hi

Over the past 2-3 weeks my internet has been effectively stopping.

When this happens i dont seem to get any bandwidth, internet pages wont load, essentially acting as if i wasnt connected to the internet but my computer still says it is and there is still a green light on my hub.

Tried the phone during these times and it seems to work fine.

There are other times when i do just get straight up disconnected.

This is usually happening right after i get back from work, which is the best time for me to sort things out, but it can also happening in the middle or late in the evening, and during the day (just had a proper drop off just before this post) on the weekends.

The outages vary in length, some times 15 minutes but have had some that were out for 1.5 hours.

I know my speeds arent great (4-7MB guaranteed 2MB), but was told when the line was installed that as i was close to the street box, which in turn was close to the main hub, that should get good connection speeds.

Am i being capped or is something else happening here?

Ben
KeithFrench
Community Star

With ADSL the basic speed is not how close you are to the green cabinet in the street, but how close you are to the exchange. This is really down to the length of the cable run & how good a quality it is.

When the problem occurs what is the exact status of the broadband & internet lights on the router? How are you connecting to the router - via wireless or wired connections? If a mixture, is wired better than wireless when the problem occurs?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

Use both wired and wireless connections, both seem as bad as the other.

Would need to check, but when i definetly lose connection the internet light is either off or red. When it is effectively disconnected (internet dragging its heels) the internet light is flashing green as normal. both cases the broadband light is a solid green.

Ben
KeithFrench
Community Star

The internet light can go off from time to time, but when you say it goes red, then that is the main problem.

When the internet light is red on the router, the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The best way to resolve this is for me to pass this to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to investigate the condition for you now.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi BenJackson

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

Are you experiencing any faults with the landline service when making calls?

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

hi

since last post had 4 complete cut outs on the 6th, 19th, 24th, and 28th of february.

two of these happened at the exact same time (21.41 19th and 24th)

did the line test throw up anything?

yes the router is in the test socket (has been since this started being a recurring issue)

dont really use the phone, but when the internet drops out i believe i can call out normally. will check again next time.

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

Apologies for this.

Yes the line test detected a possible fault, this could be a landline fault when making calls.

Have you had a chance to test the landline service since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

dropped out again last night at 21.40.

unfortunately these outages last only a couple of minutes, so after figuring out whats happened and remembering to try and phone someone, its back online, so no havent been able to test to phone out during an outage. will try again if it happens.

Ben
BenJackson
Wizz Kid

lost internet connection 5 times tonight, usually back about 2 minutes later, but last one was just over 30minutes out. phoned worked on all of them, though there was a bit of static heard on the last one.

is this related to the fault you found or a general problem with the snow weve currently got kicking around.

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

Apologies for this.

The line tests are now clear. Have you experienced any further issues since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

havent lost connection since saturday, but speed has been slow at times. had difficulty loading webpages today for about an hour when i got back from work.

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

I think we should send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

Can do, guessing i need to message you delivery details.

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

I can send it to your home address linked to your telephone number in your Community Profile, will this be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

That should be fine

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

router arrived this morning, will hook it up later and compare.

on a side note, lost connection about 21.45 last night for about 5-10 minutes. phone chirped just before connection was lost, forgot to check the phone line when it was out.

Ben
Community Team

Hi Ben

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know how you get on once you have tested with the replacement router.

Debbie

BenJackson
Wizz Kid

not sure how well the new router is working, dropped out about 4 or 5 times sunday evening, and had a low connection friday and yesterday.

Ben
Community Team

Hi BenJackson,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is still clear. Could you confirm that you're also using the new microfilter and adsl cable that came with the replacement router and we can pass the intermittent connection over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks