cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Does TalkTalk deliberately throttle speeds to encourage you to upgrade?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
JohnandKaren
First Timer

My (non-fibre) broadband speed has been getting progressively slower and slower and is well below my contracted minimum. TalkTalk have been emailing me with data to show that my line has reached it's limit of capacity and encouraging me to upgrade to fibre.

I have not made any physical changes or increased the number of devices connected, in fact BT Openworld replaced the line from the house to the street not long ago. It is soooo slow that I am considering leaving TalkTalk for a better provider. I am splitting my time between two countries so I don't want to upgrade to fibre because it's just not worth it. I would be perfectly happy if I got anything close to my 3MB contractual minimum.

I suspect TalkTalk is deliberately throttling my line to encourage me to upgrade. Has anyone else experienced this?

TalkTalk helpfully has provided me with data on my line capacity, as part of it's marketing campaign, which shows that it is in breach of contract. I will send this to Oftel if it gets into a dispute.

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

TalkTalk do not throttle anyone. It sounds more like a fault condition. To try & resolve this or if not get the right people from TalkTalk involved, please can you give me these specifics?

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
gld73
Chatterbox

I have the same suspicions as the OP - I switched from SSE to Tiscali almost 3 months ago, same advertised speeds, same set up on the same phone lines, same single device connected by wifi with everything (phone point, filter, hub, laptop etc) in the same positions .... surely there should be no difference in service...

And yet it's like I'm back in the days of dial-up. I don't stream stuff, I just use standard internet pages like news, ebay, email etc, and pages take an age to load up.  The speed test shows I'm getting 1.3 Mbps (1st test) and 0.6 Mbps (2nd test). To me, this isn't acceptable for what I'm paying, yet no doubt I'm locked into a year's contract before I can escape back to SSE or some other supplier. I'm not upgrading to Fibre as I should have no need for it for my uses!

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi JohnandKaren,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi gld73,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
gld73
Chatterbox

Just had my 3rd day of on-line chat or call-backs trying to resolve my extremely slow broadband speed, just wanting it back to how it was with SSE before I switched 2 or 3 months ago, all I need for my limited web usage.  Today's on-line advisor ("Robert") told me the way to be sure of resolving the problem would be to switch to fibre. 

Seriously. And TalkTalk claims the slow speeds don't have that purpose??? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi gld73 

Please can you create a new thread we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Mike8rown
First Timer

I have nothing but circumstantial evidence, and if they are guilty as alleged then they are as inept at doing it as they are at everything else. Why do I say that? Because my broadband speed was really low (2 to 3Mbps on a good day), and I finally accepted TakeTake's argument that I should upgrade to fibre.

At first, the improvement was worth it - 20Mbps download - but over the next few months the speed dropped progressively until I was back to my old copper-connection speed. TakeTake eventually accepted that I was not getting what I was paying for and reduced my charge accordingly; they maintained that the problem was with my connection to the cabinet two miles away; when I finally woke up and switched provider, that insuperable technical barrier suddenly vanished. Plusnet provided 20 to 35Mbps FTTC from the start, and that speed has been maintained - odd that Plusnet can do what TakeTake says is impossible.

No surprise then that when I tried to get them to fix a relative's slow broadband they repeatedly suggested that I get her to upgrade to fibre before admitting that she should have been getting a minimum of 4.1Mbps rather than her actual paltry 2.3Mbps. Last I was told was that they were "doing some tests"...

(I do not work for any branch of the telecoms industry)

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mike8rown,

Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chake1
First Timer

I am having the same issue.  Two weeks ago my broadband went really slow and started to loose the connection.  I reported the issue and Talk Talk explained it was a fault with the micro filter.  They sent one out and then retested still no improvement.  I have not added any extra devices and have been happy on the standard non fibre package for 6 months.  When running the next set of tests they inform me the only way to fix the issue is to upgrade to fibre.  They have told me the issue is the length of the phone line.  So I enquired if the length of the phone line has changed recently it has not, so why is there an issue now ?  No response other than I need to upgrade.  I have asked if I upgrade will this guarantee the issue will be resolved and they cannot guarantee this.  Also I would have to take out a new 18 month fixed contract  and I cannot upgrade the existing contract.  I am concerned that if I do pay to upgrade I will still have the same problems.

Think I might have to take this issue to Oftel as well. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Chake1,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks