Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Domain Name Fails To Resolve To localhost

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
First Timer

When on a different network other than talktalk, I am able to visit a URL that resolves to a web server on my localhost but when I switch over to my home network, I am unable to access the URL. I get ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. 

I've tried changing the DNS of the router from talktalk to google (8.8.8.8) and still it still doesn't work.

My router is a Wi-Fi Hub. Any advice will be dearly appreciated as I've wasted all day trying to get to the bottom of this and wasted my mobile data due to tethering 

Highlighted
Community Star

Without knowing the full details on how you are testing, you may be up against the loopback traffic block applied to all TT routers to enhance their security.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

A web server on your local network would be expected to respond with a failed DNS lookup. When you say 'different network', do you mean another router, or configuring the same router for another ISP. What happens if you replace the URL with 127.0.0.1. You could try this: put this entry in your hosts file on your desktop computer:

mylocalwebserver 127.0.0.1

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for the response @nosuchuser 

by `different network` i mean a different ISP (my mobile network).

Mapping the URL to 127.0.0.1 in my host file works but on my work computer, I don't have permission to change this file.

First Timer

@KeithFrench 

Thanks for the response.

Could there be anyway to remove this block as I can't add the URL to the host file on my machine.

Highlighted
Community Star

No there isn't, it is TalkTalk security policy. Normally I tell people to use the local IP address of the server when trying to access it locally.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
First Timer

Just a follow up, I managed to get around this issue with DNS over HTTPS.