Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download latest firmware DG8041W

gingerbread85
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Where can I get the latest firmware for the DG8041W?

My talktalk connection has activated today but the router provided shipped with a firmware seemingly from 2018 (Version v1.05t)

It also will not allow the use of complex passwords for the WiFi. I am trying to set a password that contains uppercase and lowercase letters along with numbers and symbols but for some reason this router does not support the use of symbols/special characters in a wifi password.
I'm hoping this is fixed in a newer firmware (I hope there is a newer firmware) otherwise I'll need to use another router or change supplier if that is also not supported.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Even basic units should support the use of complex passwords. It's not a big ask. Literally every router I've had from an ISP has had this.

It's not like I'm expecting advanced routing capabilities and VLAN support.

Nevertheless it will as you say be required for any support calls when there are problems with the service.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

@gingerbread85 wrote:

The fact that the router does not support complex passwords for wifi and that the latest firmware is 3 years old does not inspire confidence. The router is not fit for purpose.

@gingerbread85 , I use my own third party router as I want certain features and functionality not present on the TalkTalk supplied one, as I'm sure do several other people, but that doesn't mean the TalkTalk one is "not fit for purpose". I think that's a pretty unfair statement to make just because the router doesn't support an option that you want. The TalkTalk router is a basic unit which allows customers to connect to the internet, and for the majority of users that's all they want or need. It is perfectly adequate for that purpose. 

On the plus side, you can keep it as an emergency spare router if your own one ever lets you down, or just to aid with fault finding to rule out a router problem if you ever have an issue with your internet service.

Message 3 of 6

Hi

If you paid for the router specifically then it can be returned for a refund, if the router was provided for free, then we can not offer any refund for this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thanks for confirming.
I have put the router back in the box and opted to use an alternative. Were this not possible I would have terminated my contract within the grace period.
The fact that the router does not support complex passwords for wifi and that the latest firmware is 3 years old does not inspire confidence. The router is not fit for purpose.
Given that you sell this router separately for a premium and that I am having to use my own is it possible for me to return the talktalk router for a discount on my bill?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi

Your router currently has the latest firmware v1.05t.  Our teams are looking at a new firmware for the future but as yet there is no confirmed date for this.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes