cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speeds less than half my sync speeds

23 REPLIES 23
Popular Poster

Getting speeds of around 27mb, I should be getting closer to 68mb.

Some of my streaming services are experiencing buffering.

Please help

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @danweb ,

Have you tried switching your router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will create a new session, this will occasionally help in situations like this.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

hi @Skynet_TX 

I have tried a session reset by switching off for 20 mins, as I thought that it needed to be 15 mins to reset a stale session. Is it actually 30 minutes I need to power off for then?

Highlighted
Community Star

@danweb ,

30 minutes would guarantee a new session, I think it works as follows :

Your connection is monitored in 15 minutes windows, and you have to go through a full 15 minute window with no connection to get a new session.

So for example if you switch your router off between 18:00:00 and 18:14:59 then you should get a new session as long as you connect after 18:30:00. So it depends where in the 15 minute window you are when you switch the router off as to how long it needs to be off to make it through the whole of the next 15 minute window. So just leaving if off for 30 mins guarantees it. I don't think the sessions necessarily start neatly on the hour etc.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I'll give it a go tonight and report back. Thanks for the explanation @Skynet_TX  🙂 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi danweb

Apologies for the delay.

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Unfortunately it's not really any better 😞

I have done a 35 minute shut down this morning, and upon doing a speedtest using the talk talk speed test, I get 27.6mbps down, 17.4mbps up of a wired to the router laptop.

On my mobile phone, it's even worse at 5.0mbps. down (9.4 mbps up)

Highlighted

Hi danweb

Apologies for this.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 65.9mb.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi
I am willing to try, this is the 2nd router I have had. Not sure there would be much point sending the same model. It's always had poor WiFi which makes the problem seem worse.
Highlighted

Hi Dan

Which router have you tested with? (make and model) I will send a different router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi
Currently have a Huawei HG633.
Previous one was an older Huawei but I cannot recall model.
Highlighted

Hi Dan

The router is on its way (different to the make and model you have received previously) Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Thanks, the router arrived today and I am using it now.

It has improved a little, I am now getting around 38mb consistently wired, dropping to around 20mb wireless.

I am syncing at around 74mb, so I am hoping we can improve on this further still?

Also are you able to help with other issues?

I no longer can make DHCP reservations, reading the forums, I think this may be fixable if you are able to push out a firmware update please.

Also, I don't seem to have parental controls anymore, this was something that I found really handy for managing my kids internet access. Is that fixable?

Highlighted

Hi Dan

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

I have updated the router firmware version. Please can you also power down the new router for 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

I've gone back to the old router. When comparing, I seem to be getting 30 to 35mb download from each. Unfortunately the new router doesn't have any of the DHCP and Parental controls that I use regularly. So I am better off on the old router.

So, what's next to try to get my speeds up please?

For info I am syncing at around 74mb down and 20mb up.

But my speeds are around 35mb down and 18mb up.

Highlighted

Hi dan,

I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has increased since we last checked. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please to see if the throughput speed has now increased.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi after 30 minutes down.

Sync speed 73981 Down, 20000 Up

Talk Talk Speed Test Results

23.5 mbps down

17.9 mbps up

Highlighted

Hi dan,

Could I just confirm, were the recent speed tests completed wired or wireless? Are you using any powerline adapters? Do you see the same speeds on 2 different devices?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I am testing with my laptop wired directly into the router via a LAN cable.

The router is plugged into the main socket.

I am testing when there are minimal other devices on the network, with no large downloads ongoing.

I sometimes test on other devices, both wireless and with powerlines and get slower speeds.

I have been doing my tests on the device that gives me the higher speeds to give it a fair chance and remove other slow down factors from the tests.

Highlighted

Hi dan,

Thanks for the update. Both the sync speed and the profile look ok. Could you run a wired ping and trace route please and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks