Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in Download speeds

Anth1968
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Screenshot_20211006-095053_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-073334_Chrome.jpg

Hi,

My TalkTalk broadband went live on 23 Aug 2021. It started off fairly good as you can see, but then took a drastic drop. Probably stabilising. However, it has now dropped to a regular speed between 30-40mbps, where I have a guaranteed speed of 58mbps. I also run separate speed tests longside to TalkTalk app to confirm the speeds. My devices also experience a lot of "unable to obtain IP address" issues.

Ant

Anth1968
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Message 2 of 7

Hi Michelle,

I'll try advice given by the others first. If I need any more assistance, I'll be in touch. 

Thanks

Anth1968

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 7

Morning,

Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 7

Yep, if a device is connected to the router via wired ethernet then the speed to the device should be pretty close to the speed to the router (it will always be a bit less). Over wireless the speed to the device can be heavily impacted by Wi-Fi interference (e.g. if a neighbour had a router broadcasting on the same channel as yours).

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for this. I'll try what you've advised and see how it goes. I was with EE before, and the speed to that router was equivalent to speed to devices. With TalkTalk, I'm getting up to a 20mbps drop. Hopefully some tweeking will sort it out.

Anth1968

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Anth1968,

Are you running the speedtest from a wired or wireless device, your screenshot indicates a good speed 'to the router', so a wired speed test result should give a speed fairly close to that (i.e. 70mbps+), wireless speeds can be affected by your local wireless environment.

If you are getting these slow speed test results from a wired connection then try switching your router off for over 30 minutes, that will reset your session and can often get wired speed test results back up to something much closer to the sync speed.

If it is only wireless devices that are slow (or you only have wireless devices) then it would still be worth switching the router off for over 30 minutes, just to be sure, but you could also be suffering from Wi-Fi interference. You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.