Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Drop outs & slow speed.

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, I've recently had a week of constant drop outs - on/off/on/off throughout the day.

This seems to have stabilised now, but my download speed is now in the region of 2 mb/s.

This morning it was < 1mb/s

Normally I can expect 4-5 mb/s in this rural area.

Can an engineer please check?

No line noise and the phone line was still working when the broadband had dropped out.

I'm plugged into the test socket and the router has been restarted.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @evil_jack 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi evil_jack

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a possible fault.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket? Are you experiencing any faults with the landline service when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

As I said, there are no faults or noise on the landline & I am able to make calls.

The router is connected to the test socket.

I am still experiencing dropouts and the speed (when it's working) is very very low @1mb/s

During a dropout the 'internet' light on the router is red.

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack,

Do you have anything connected to your test socket in addition to your router? Do you have another router you can test with?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Nothing else connected to test socket.

just had another drop out and it’s now been off for over an hour.
‘Internet’ light on router is red. All others green.

Tried another router - same.

Also tried another micro filter and dsl cable.

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack

Apologies for this.

The line test is still detecting a possible fault. Please can you add a mobile number to your Community Profile (that I can add to the fault ticket) I can then pass this over to Openreach for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Ok I've added the mobile number now - although the landline is still working fine for calls, just no broadband coming through.

It has now dropped out completely and has been off for a few days now - constant 'internet' red light.

I tried to get some help via the talktalk online chat but they could only send me another router - I suspect this will not help & it does now need investigation from Openreach...

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack

Thank you. I have passed this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, the Openreach engineer has been and fixed the line fault, but I still have no broadband.

Apparently, the problem now lies with TalkTalk's equipment. The router is not able to log in - it is not getting it's "handshake".

This has been escalated to TalkTalk, but they have given a 5 day lead time to fix the issue.

I've already been without internet for the best part of a week, so this is not great.....😞

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack

Apologies for this.

Is this the same with 2 different routers at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, I have tried with another router (not a TalkTalk one, but it has the correct settings and has worked before).

The Openreach engineer told me there are other TalkTalk customers in this area who have the same issue....he's been quite busy. 😏

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack,

I've reset your data port and the router has authenticated, which lights are on on your router at the moment?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

All lights green, except 'internet' which is either off or red.

If I try to connect I get "Oops! we've noticed you TalklTalk router isn't connected to the internet...Error reference:Intermittent Sync.

Highlighted

Thanks. Is your router currently switched on and connected to your telephone socket? It's showing, not in sync

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, the router is switched on.

Yes, it's plugged in to the phone socket.

The 'broadband' light is flashing - sometimes it's off.

The 'internet' light is now off completely.

Highlighted

OK thanks. I've passed this over to our network team, I'll let you know when I receive an update 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack,

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Another engineer visit.

Yes I accept the charges.

Yes I'm available am or pm Monday to Friday.

ASAP please.

Highlighted

Hi evil_jack,

I've booked the appointment for January 28 2020, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris