Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever felt your wasting your time

RogerD57
Team Player
Message 10 of 10

Ive had connection issues Im best friends with OPENREACH who have shown me the problem is TALKTALK. Ive seen all there tests. Everytime I use chat it either gets abusive or they just cut me off and not answer the questions. I tried again today by saying the following;;

1. I pay 22.50 per month for broadband rated at 38mbps although Ive never got anywhere near.

2. This price has now dropped to 19.95 for new customers.

3. To upgrade my line speed to (and these are TALKTALKs words) 78mbps will cost me an extra 2.50 per month.

4.Under the terms and condictions (not withstanding the 3 month rule which is flexible) you are entitle to change.

What dont they understand when I say upgrade me to the higher package and I will continue to pay 22.50 per month. Surely this is academic,but no they say they will charge me for leaving etc etc

Im not sure they employ people who can understand basic business. No wonder the complaints keep mounting.

RogerD57
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

An alternative is to use band steering. This will automatically move any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz band, providing better performance for the device & fewer devices are then subject to the interference on the 2.4GHz band. To enable this, all that has to be done is to set both SSIDs to the exact same name.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 10
just done another test (wireless) 26 mbps download 9 mbps upload
RogerD57
0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

I thought I had replied to this previously its wireless

RogerD57
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 10

You are slowly giving me the information I requested. Your router is sync's at the top rate of 39M, but I am still waiting to know if the speed test was done on a wireless or wired connection.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

You are slowly giving me the information I originally requested. Your router is syhnc

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Keith,

My figures are as below, I also completed a speed test which came back 18mbps download,9mbps upload.

Line 1

Status

UP

Connection Time

4d 06h31m22s

Link Status

UP

Standard

VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)

Line Encoding

DMT

Link Encapsulation

ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)

Line 1

Downstream

Upstream

Actual Rate [Kbps]

Maximum Rate [Kbps]

Noise Margin [dB]

Attenuation [dB]

Power [dBm]

Hope this helps

RogerD

RogerD57
0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Please can you just work through getting me the actual figures I requested in my previous post? Recounting the problems that you have had, does not help me sort this out for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me about this.

I have the WI FI hub with one device connected via wireless.

Openreach have tested my line and replaced the sockets etc their test shows 40mbps at the socket although the line tests at 72mbps so there is significant room to improve.

Ive done all the speed tests using TALKTALK,WHICH,SPEEDTEST  and a number of others and very rarly got 30mbps. Mainly 15-25mbps although sometimes 10mbps.

The OPENREACH guy says its the router. Ive gone into its settings and can see it uses channel 6 which is one of the ones to use apparentley for a better signal (others being 1 and 11)

Again it tells me I have 40mbps at the socket. It makes little or no difference if my laptop is 1 mtr away or 10 mtrs. I have boaster sockets throughout the house

Regards

RogerD

RogerD57
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @RogerD57 

The guaranteed minimum speed is the router's sync speed, not the sync speed, although sometimes that can be caused by a faulty router.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is. Approximately how far do you live from your green fibre cabinet in the street?

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith

0 Likes