Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow broadband speed & inability to upgrade to fibre

chris114
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

HI TalkTalk,

Re Extremely slow broadband speed & inability to upgrade to fibre.

After about ten hours, using the ‘live chat’ feature and speaking to twelve TalkTalk agents, to try to resolve the problem of my extremely slow broadband, I am wary about trying that method again and am trying this.

On December 19 last I first contacted ‘live chat’, as my broadband speed had reduced to 0.4 Mbps download and 0.3 Mbps upload, making it useless. In the past I have had usable speeds, when I joined TalkTalk broadband on 13/07/07, it was 3.18 Mbps download and 1.72 Mbps upload and on 26/01/17 it was 2.17 Mbps download and 0.62 Mbps upload, so know that my setup is capable of acceptable speeds. I was sent a new TalkTalk router, which I was assured would sort this problem out, which I installed on 08 January, but the speed was no different. Upon contacting TalkTalk through ‘live chat’ I was asked to wait 14 days for the new router to settle and again assured it would gain in speed. It didn’t, but remained at about 0.3 Mbps download. On 24 January I contacted ‘live chat’ again, asking to speak to a manager, as I was at my wit’s end, having spent many hours on ‘live chat’ and telephone, getting nowhere. After communicating with a manager, who was trying to help, when they asked me to turn my router off and on, I lost the ‘conversation thread’. I returned to ‘live chat’ asking to speak to this manager or another, to be told that managers do not communicate through ‘live chat’, even though I had just been doing so, but was promised a telephone call within 24 hours. I received no telephone call until 28 January. I had cancelled all my commitments and waited in for this call, as I had done previously for calls that didn’t happen. In the interim, before I was called, I made a formal complaint, which has not been acknowledged.

Then an engineer was arranged to call, who came last Wednesday 29 January. He found some problems in the Master Socket and fitted a new one. After he left I measured a speed of 3.8 Mbps, the best it’s ever been. It has slowly decreased since then and now seems to have settled at 1.1 Mbps download and 0.6 Mbps upload, which is too slow to watch BBC IPlayer and it also occasionally drops the internet connection, although the broadband connection is still present. This has happened in the middle of watching BBC IPlayer. I have connected the router cable, via a micro-filter, to the Test Socket, within the Master Socket, as suggested elsewhere on this website, but am recording the same speed. I do not know what to do, but know I don’t want to spend more fruitless hours on ‘live chat’ or waiting for promised return telephone calls that don’t happen.

Upgrade to fibre

I would like to upgrade to TalkTalk fibre, in the hopes that this will sort out my broadband speed problems, but there seems to be an anomaly on the TalkTalk website. In ‘check fibre availability’, if I input my postcode, but put in either of my two neighbours’ addresses (I live in a terraced house), it says they can have Superfast Fibre, but with my own address it does not give fibre as an option. The TalkTalk engineer who came last Wednesday could not understand it; he looked at the telephone wires outside, which go to the same pole and said that if my neighbours can be connected to fibre, then I also can; but that’s not an option on the TalkTalk website. Can someone also help me on that, please.

Best wishes

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Karl,

I will do. Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Chris

Message 2 of 20

Hi Chris

Glad to hear the connection has been restored. 

If anything changes do let us know.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your speedy response and my apologies for my delay in answering. About 13:00 hrs yesterday, my broadband connection went haywire. It had been constant and good for four days; at 12:40 hrs I recorded a speed of 3.3 Mbps, but an hour later I couldn’t get online at all. The TalkTalk speed tester consistently wouldn’t complete its cycle and I had to use my mobile data as a hot spot to get online. I posted on this forum, asking for help and received a telephone call from one of your technicians, as described in my post yesterday. Her intervention made no difference, but at about 01:00 hrs this morning, I had a very short power cut; only a matter of seconds, and when the router booted back up, it was back to 3.2 Mbps download, with full internet access. When the TalkTalk technician asked me to reset my router and afterwards to turn it off and on, it made no difference, but the power cut meant it turned off and on, not by the swich, but by a direct cut of power. So, for about twelve hours something went wrong with my broadband connection, but It’s OK now.

Best wishes,
Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi Chris

Thanks for the update 

Your router is currently in sync at 4Mbps, the error count is low and the connection appears stable. How is it at your end at the moment?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20
Hi TalkTalk, In addition to my post above. I don’t know if it was associated with my post on this forum, above, but, four hours ago, at 18:15 hrs, I received a telephone call from one of your TalkTalk technicians. She said that she couldn’t communicate with my router and asked me to reset it, by using the reset pin on the back. I did so, and all the lights on the router came on, red for power and internet and green for broadband, wireless and tv, although I had no ethernet or tv connected. After several minutes, when the lights didn’t change, the technician asked me to turn the router off and on, which I did, and the router went through its reboot process. I was told that the router would take a while to settle and I would have a telephone call from TalkTalk on Wednesday evening. I have left the router for an hour now and nothing has changed from before the telephone call and my post above. I still have a very dodgy, slow, almost non-existent connection to the internet, although the ‘internet’ light on the router is green. I have no confidence in receiving the telephone call on Wednesday, as, during the ten hours plus I spent using the ‘live chat’ feature, talking to eleven TalkTalk agents, since December 19, trying to sort out my extremely slow broadband speed, I have been promised a number of telephone calls, which didn’t happen. I have paid for a service for all this time and only received a satisfactory broadband service for four days, thanks to the help I received from this community, as in the thread above. Please, please can someone help. Best wishes, Chris
0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hi TalkTalk,

As suggested, I have been monitoring my broadband speed, using the TalkTalk speed checker., starting on Thursday 04 February and testing several times a day. During the first 36 hours it rose from 2.4 Mbps download to an average of 3.3 Mbps, which it has maintained from Saturday 08 February, until this afternoon. At 12:40 hrs today the speed was 3.3 Mbps download and 0.6 Mbps upload, but at some time soon after it has lost any useful connection. The TalkTalk speed checker will not complete its process, but keeps stopping, saying ‘Couldn’t connect to server. Please try again’, but, when I do, the same keeps reoccurring. I can’t connect properly to the internet at all. Nothing has changed in my setup and my router is still connected to the test socket. This drop in my connection has just happened with no apparent cause within my home. I was happy with the speed I was getting at 3.3 Mbps, but it has now become useless again. I cannot even get onto this TalkTalk Community website using my TalkTalk connection, but have created a mobile hotspot, using my mobile data.

You worked wonders last week, in increasing my broadband speed; could you please suggest something we can do to make the improvement a stable one.

Best wishes,
Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Your more than welcome, happy to help 🙂

(yes please reply on this thread)

Chris

Message 8 of 20

Hi Chris,

I will do. Shall I leave my router connected to the test socket, or put the front back on the master socket and connect to that? And if I do find more than minor speed fluctuations or if it starts to reduce in speed, as in the past, shall I inform you via this thread, or start another, please?

I can’t repeat enough how pleased I am with the response I’ve had from yourselves on this Community forum. I had just about come to the end of the line with TalkTalk before, with hour upon hour spent on the ‘live chat’, broken promises, arrangements to test my line that just didn’t happen and when I asked what was happening to be told the fault test had been accidentally ‘pulled’, promises of a new router that wasn’t sent, until I asked where it was and promised telephone calls that didn’t happen. Your excellent service has gone a little way to restoring a bit of confidence with TalkTalk and I am no longer intending to transfer to another service. I am however, conscious that if I hadn’t given this forum a try, I would still be in the situation as before and would have gone to another ISP. So many thanks.

wishes,
Chris

Message 9 of 20

OK thanks Chris, can you monitor your connection and let us know if there are any fluctuations in speed 

Chris

Message 10 of 20

Hi Michelle,

The router is connected to the test socket, within the master socket, using the micro-filter and cable supplied with the new TalkTalk router. The master socket is brand new, fitted by the TalkTalk engineer who came on Wednesday last week. Also attached to the same micro-filter is my telephone. I have no extensions within my home. When I took the front off my master socket, to expose the test socket, there are no other cables attached to the front section.

Again, many thanks for your work upon my problem

Best wishes,
Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi Chris,

Thanks for retesting and for the additional information. When you replaced the router did you also replace the cables and the microfilter? Do you currently have any other equipment connected to the line at the moment or just the router?

Thanks

Message 12 of 20

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply. Back home now and my broadband speed is 2.5 Mbps download and 0.6 Mbps upload. The router is still connected to the test socket.

Best wishes,
Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi Chris,

Ok thank you and please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your speedy response. I won’t have an opportunity to run a broadband speed test on my router until I return tomorrow (Friday) and will do so then, informing you of the result. This level of support is excellent and so different from my previous experience, using the ‘live chat' feature. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Chris

Message 15 of 20

Hi Chris,

Your connection appears to have been stable with a low error count since the profile change in the early hours of this morning, sync speed is currently 3Mbps - can you please retest when you get chance and let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

Message 16 of 20

Hi Michelle,

My apologies for my delay in answering; I am not in my home, near my router and nobody else is using the broadband there. It is still connected to the test socket, as you advised and has been for a number of days. I have not had an opportunity to test the router's broadband speed today, so don’t know how it’s doing.

Thank you for your continuing support in this matter.

Best wishes,
Chris

Message 17 of 20

Hi chris114,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that DLM has lowered the speed slightly due to an increase in errored seconds on the line. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Message 18 of 20

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much. You have increased the speed of my broadband, although it has reduced since this morning. A few hours ago it was 3.3 Mbps download and 0.6 Mbps upload and now it is 1.9 Mbps download and 0.2 Mbps, using the TalkTalk speed checker; perhaps it is the time of day and the amount of traffic using the broadband locally. I have been here before, after which the speed gradually reduced to an unusable level. I hope that is not happening now.

Having spent about ten fruitless hours on the TalkTalk ‘live chat’ trying to resolve this problem so far, during the past two months, it is great to have such a speedy response and so easily sorted, using the TalkTalk Community. Thank you again. I only hope that my broadband speed does not fall way, as before, but increases back to 3.3 Mbps, as it was this morning and maintains that speed.

Best wishes.

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hi

I've reset the line and optimised the DLM to try and improve the speeds for you.

DLM will set a profile based on the performance of the line, errors etc, so in essence will restrict the speed to improve stability.  When you connect to the test socket you will not see the speed change immediately as the profile will remain the same, so you should leae the router at the test socket in these instances for 48hrs to see if any errors reduce and the DLM system raises the profile to increase the speed.

With regard to fibre availability, I would advise calling our sales teams (Customer Loyalty) directly and they can see if fibre is available at your address and arrange an install date if required.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE