Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Router, keep having to restart

bottom_gear
Popular Poster
Message 27 of 27

I have a faulty router. I keep having to restart it at least once a week otherwise my connection speeds drop drastically. I want it replaced so I tried contacting customer service. However I can't find any customer service information on this website. Had to go to a third party website to find out what the phone number to call was and even then I always get that the customer server line is closed. Can't find anywhere on this website what the opening hours are. I'm told there is a live chat somewhere too but god knows how I access that.  As a result, I'm forced to make a post on this community forum. TalkTalk? More like talk about terrible customer service.

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Hi bottom_gear

Thanks for updating your Community Profile 🙂

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

Thanks Debbie, added those info now, please check if you can see them.

Message 3 of 27

Hi bottom_gear

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then send the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Hi Debbie, I think that would be helpful thanks

Message 5 of 27

Hi bottom_gear

Sorry for the delay.

Would you like me to send a different router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 6 of 27

I'll re-escalate this thread for you, @bottom_gear

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

bottom_gear
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 27

The problem occured again today. I couldn't test out changing to channel 11 as I for some reason I can't seem to connect to the 2.4Ghz band of my router, only 5Ghz. It keeps complaining the security key isn't correct. Even after restarting my router it would not let me. Still think this is a router issue and not a user issue.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Hello,

Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

bottom_gear
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 27

I'll give that a go next time it happens to see if it makes any difference.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 27

Move it to channel 11.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

bottom_gear
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 27

Sure. I switched it to the suggested one and no difference. I also let the router choose one too and no difference.

Wifi Analyzer.PNG

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 27

It is impossible to comment without seeing the screenshots from your analyser. If you would like to include them I will look into it for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 27

I'll re-escalate this for you, @bottom_gear.

Staff will be back from Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

bottom_gear
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 27

Apologies for the lack of update. The problem didn't manifest itself again until today. When the problem occured, I used a WiFi analyzer to check which WiFi channel was best and switched to it in the router settings. However, this made no difference to the problem. Keeping the channel fixed, I restarted the router and again my speeds were back to normal. So it does not look like a problem with congested WiFi channel.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Yes I did Karl, and they were pretty much useless. KeithFrench here has already done a much better job of providing suggestions on what the problem could be. I am waiting for the next time I hit the issue to confirm whether it's due to congested WiFi channel.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 27

Hi bottom_gear

Did you contact our colleagues via Live Chat for support ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

Not at the moment, but that's what I plan to do in order to see if the channels are congested. I think on Android there are apps to do that.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 18 of 27

See my post #6 which answers that. I wouldn't have asked if it wasn't relevant. 

Are you using a WiFi analyser then?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

Thank you for the more thorough answer. It's difficult to know why that information is required unless you tell me how it can help with the diagnosis. It's the Black WiFi Hub DG8041W. On the router page it will say 31 Mbps, in speed tests it would be around 150kbps.

Congested channel may be true, this is something I should check next time it happens.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 27

So far I am trying to answer your problem on a very generic level, because I am still waiting on information from you.

What speed is quoted by the router, I have asked this before because it is crucial to know if that is slow before I can really answer you. However, as you have now told me you are connecting via wireless, I will answer why the router may not be at fault.

The very fact that the router speed improves after a reboot means that it is highly likely (again bear in mind I do not know if the router's speed is low at this point) to be WiFi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Normally a router looks for the least congested WiFi channel on boot up, so your speed is OK. Other routers in your area start broadcasting out on channels that interfere with yours and down goes your speed. This can happen because other routers change channels for all sorts of reasons, plus environmental factors come into play here. What most domestic routers do not do, is subsequently recheck the WiFi channels for congestion and change the channel for you (despite having the channel allocation in the router set to auto), hence why you have to reboot it again.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

I can offer a lot of help to resolve this issue if you want it, but I will need you to specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using, plus the speed when logged into it.?

Keith

0 Likes